Author Topic: How close do you live to a nuclear weapon?  (Read 4572 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: How close do you live to a nuclear weapon?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 11:44:12 PM »
The world's nuclear powers have built a long history of NOT accidentally setting off strategic weapons. I worry more about traffic on the freeway.
You mean they don't just go off if you cut the wrong wire?  Or look at them funny?  =)

I have heard they put a lot into the design so they only go off when intended. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
I slept within 500' of 8 nuclear reactors when I was stationed on the USS Enterprise.

I don't need to use a night light in my bedroom.

My at sea watch station was less than 40' from the reactor. Of course on a 637 class boat you can't actually get even 150' away and stay dry.
The off watch bull sessions in the torpedo room might have been less than 20' from any hypothetical "special" weapons we could neither confirm or deny the presence of.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 02:06:41 AM »
I've always wanted a nuke small enough to put under my glass topped coffee table.  Thought it would make a great conversation piece.

This. I suppose I could always Form-1 a crude gun-type and set it up sans energetics and isotopes.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »
Do they make glass that block radioactivity?
Many types of glass contain lead. The radiation shielding glass gets its green tint from the lead content.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi