Author Topic: Market day  (Read 3917 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Market day
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »
Most Saturdays during the Summer I set up and sell at a local farmers Market .
Had a pretty fair haul this morning, still early for the big loads but by next weekend I should be rolling in produce.

Picking okra

A few bell peppers

My table at market

Market visitor

Watermelons coming on nicely

Oh and I got my pig back from the butcher this morning.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Re: Market day
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
Very nice!

A little too early here yet, plus the garden went in late because we were re-doing the front yard (new sidewalk and sod).  I do have some green tomatoes 2" or so in diameter, started in Walls-o-Water.  Cucumbers are just vining, and the green beans are about 6" tall.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
Showed my wife your okra and peppers pictures.  She hates you now.
We can't get okra to grow here hardly at all.  We get a skimpy harvest at best every year.  It just doesn't get hot enough for a long enough time here in the summer.
Our peppers don't grow for squat, either, but I think we're doing something wrong with those.  Others in the area don't have problems with peppers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Deer love okra, and field peas.  Not so fond of tomatoes or peppers, apparently.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
Our peppers don't grow for squat, either, but I think we're doing something wrong with those.  Others in the area don't have problems with peppers.

You could try a different variety with a quicker date to maturity.  We sell, and I've grown, the North Star pepper with some success.  Smaller fruit than other green bell peppers but pretty easy.

Another thing that I've read is magnesium is a common deficiency that results in small peppers.  Sprinkling a little epsom salt when planting can help.  Or just make sure it's listed as a micro nutrient when picking a fertilizer.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »
That is awesome.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
Deer love okra, and field peas.  Not so fond of tomatoes or peppers, apparently.

Never had deer get into my okra or peppers. I have had them clean out a patch of tomatoes a few years ago, ate them slick of green tomatoes in one night. As to field peas, I had planted field peas as a cover crop last fall, the deer would walk passed that and browsed my new blueberry plants.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
holy cow,  when do you plant?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »
our average last frost date is 4/15. Some things of course can go in before that.
This year I was able to get started a little early on some stuff but still held off on most things anticipating a late frost.
We put p 3 bushel of corn on the cob already and for the most part sweet corn is done around here already, I should be getting watermelons in the next week or so. Already had a few cantaloupes but started seed indoors early and transplanted after last frost date giving me a head start there also.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
Larry what market do you go to?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:54 PM »
We've got a group that sets up on Saturdays in Chelsea, usually 5-6 sellers.
If there is something you want drop me a PM for directions. I have stuff during the week as well, come on up and get some.

I picked a heaping 5 gallon bucket full of okra this morning.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:04:10 PM »
You can keep your okra, but always in the mood for fresh home grown tomatoes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
A heaping 5-gallon bucket, now that's a lotta okra, right there.  I'm looking forward to the first tomatoes of the season this weekend.  We got a late start.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »
The wife put 16 QT zip-lock of okra in the freezer out of that 5 gal. bucket.

Samuel Adams

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
Bbbbut 16 quarts is 4 gallons, not 5!  She musta shorted the till. :lol:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »
Gotta cut off the stem ends and the tips and there is always a few pods that are tough. That and we ate some.

Samuel Adams

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
That and we ate some
Ha!  I knew it!  =D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
More Okra.
I picked about 50% more today than I did Tuesday.
Tuesday's bucket

Picking today

The wife is canning salsa today, Should get about 20 pints today.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
what is your salsa recipe?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
I give her tomatoes, onions and peppers and she gives me salsa.
Sometimes she gives me pasta sauce or chili starter and once in a while she makes ketchup.

Samuel Adams

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
In my experience, there's about a 2-hour period when okra goes from just right for frying size to "tent peg or spike bayonet" size.  Gotta pick near daily, sez me.