Author Topic: Krauthammer on Obama and America  (Read 4029 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Krauthammer on Obama and America
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:25 AM »
I thought this was a great interview of Charles Krauthammer by Der Spiegel. A little scary that he thinks Obama can make a second term, but very interesting insights on the administration, the country, and our interactions with the world.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,656501,00.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Krauthammer on Obama and America
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:05:18 PM »
I think my opinion of Krauthammer just dropped down a notch.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »
He's a Washington Post conservative. What more can you say?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »
A tax on health care and embracing the Patriot Act. Beyond those, what problems do you guys have with what he said?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »
I'd call it sober and reflective, as we would expect.  Of course, from my perspective he underestimates the danger we face from this administration.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »
I liked the interview, it was appropriately condescending toward liberal fuzzy-wuzzy ideology. We need more of that.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
A tax on health care and embracing the Patriot Act. Beyond those, what problems do you guys have with what he said?

He's a Washington Post conservative. What more can you say?

Krauthammer is George Bush with IQ points, which is to say: an approximately middle of the road Republican who's cast as a far right conservative. He's fairly articulate. He takes a world rather than a state view. He misses a lot. His prejudices aren't the least bit difficult to discern.

Remember John McCain? He was the New York Times' and Washington Post's idea of a Republican. Remember Ted "Hero of Chappaquiddick" Kennedy? He was the New York Times' and Washington Post's idea of a centrist.

All that saidâ„¢, the above is pure, unadulterated, undiluted quibbling.

The simple truth of the matter is that the current resident of the White House is an America-hating Marxist. Krauthammer is harrumphing over the way that resident ties his shoes. He's completely missed the point, which I'll restate just in case anyone could possibly have missed it:

The simple truth of the matter is that
the current resident of the White House is an America-hating Marxist.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  Krauthammer is dead on right about Obama, and I'm glad he's willing to say all that he does about His Oneness.

But then Krauthammer goes and says stuff like America was the wild west before FDR gave us the welfare state, or that we need to socialize medical malpractice risk, or that FedGov should tax health care benefits so they can afford to give each of us enough money to buy insurance.  That kinda stuff ain't cool.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:59:40 PM »

But then Krauthammer goes and says stuff like America was the wild west before FDR gave us the welfare state, or that we need to socialize medical malpractice risk, or that FedGov should tax health care benefits so they can afford to give each of us enough money to buy insurance.  That kinda stuff ain't cool.

I agree with that (i.e., disagree with Krauthammer). What I liked about his reflection on America is his reminding the European interviewers that for better or worse, America was who stepped up (regardless of if we wanted to or not) during and after the World Wars, and that we don't really "owe it to the world" to subject ourselves to the "international community" through the UN. We could easily become isolationist, but we don't -- we make the choice to step up to try and do the right thing, which of course subjects us to all the international armchair quarterbacking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 03:25:13 PM »
Krauthammer is just slightly right of center, with examples of where he gets it wrong already given in previous posts.

But let's give credit where credit is due - I really liked it when Krauthammer said:

You know, Europe ran the world for 400 or 500 years until the civilizational suicide of the two World Wars.

Quite a zinger, and remarkably appropriate considering that Der Spiegel is a German magazine with a mostly German readership.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  Krauthammer is dead on right about Obama, and I'm glad he's willing to say all that he does about His Oneness.

Regarding health benefits, I think the govt should tax health care benefits.  Either that, or all health care spending should be tax deductible the same as the benefits given by employers.  Give everyone that tax benefit or no one. 

I gotta wonder if we would be in the current situation if so many people didn't get health care through their employer or union and actually had to shop for and buy their own health care and insurance. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »
Regarding health benefits, I think the govt should tax health care benefits.  Either that, or all health care spending should be tax deductible the same as the benefits given by employers.  Give everyone that tax benefit or no one. 

I gotta wonder if we would be in the current situation if so many people didn't get health care through their employer or union and actually had to shop for and buy their own health care and insurance. 

That means personal responsibility; there can be none of that.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
Employees may not get to shop around for the best/cheapest insurance, but you can be sure the employers paying for the plans do.

What we really need, more than shopping for insurance, is to be able to shop medical care and procedures by price.  When was the last time your doctor told you how much a test was going to cost upfront, before doing the test?  When was the last time he weighed the proc and cons of a procedure against the cost and asked you whether you thought it was worth the price?  Most doctors just give you everything you might possibly benefit from, even just a little, regardless of the cost.  The folks at the front office just charge it off to your insurance plan and never give it another thought.

Then we wonder why insurance premiums keep going up.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »
When was the last time your doctor told you how much a test was going to cost upfront, before doing the test?

a few months back, you just have to ask :angel:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:36:19 AM »
a few months back, you just have to ask :angel:

Last several times I tried that the response was a blank look followed by an "Uh, I don't know, but you really need it."

I didn't really need it either time.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »
I've found that, if I tell my doctor up front that money is really tight, he prescribes the least expensive medications and treatments. I've also had doctors lower their fees. Of course, these are doctors I see regularly.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 01:07:41 AM »
you can still trade too   and get the freebie sample meds   its a joke at my docs i bring him fresh eggs and power wash his house in trade
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 01:12:22 AM »
it's time for a new doctor =( hopefully you can find a good one, i am hearing a lot saying there going to quit if it gets much worse =|

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 01:44:38 AM »
When was the last time your doctor told you how much a test was going to cost upfront, before doing the test?

I just got done doing some data consulting relating to this... =D

There are literally 10's of thousands of procedure codes (called CPT codes) that doctors use when billing a patient or his insurance.  You may see the doctor and he sticks a penicillin shot in your arm and you think he just did one thing, but according to your bill you will probably see half a dozen CPT codes.

Further more... when a doctor documents 1 of those CPT codes, it then gets cross-referenced to the appropriate fee schedule.  BCBS, Humana, Cigna, Medicare... and probably a limited cash fee schedule.

Why limited?

Because there are literally 10's of thousands of procedure codes and the doctor would have to have his billing staff create a fee entry for each one of those CPT codes for the cash fee schedule.

And he would have to update it annually, just like his insurance ones.

But:  He has fancy-pants smart people like me to just import the latest fee schedule from Humana or Medicare, and it takes me 10 minutes.

There's no "source" for an updated cash fee schedule.  You can decide to increase everything by a fixed percent (no one wants to do this for some reason), or you can onesy-twosy your way through the codes and adjust prices as your whims dictate.

Result?  The cash basis fee schedule simply doesn't exist at most practices.  A penicillin shot is worth $35 if you're a Humana patient, $42 if you're a Cigna patient, $17 if you're a medicare patient and $X dollars if you're a cash patient.

If you're a SMART cash patient, you'll negotiate up front to pay cash on a percentage of a particular insurance fee schedule.  I'd suggest Medicare, but the docs and office managers all are well aware that that contract pays the least out of all of them.  But:  paying cash, you can probably get away with 50% of the cost of a standard insurance contract since they don't have the agony of dealing with submitting a claim, waiting for approval, arguing during denials, negotiating a settlement and all the other crap involved.

Did you know that any given small medical office has a BILLING staff equal in size to the number of billable practitioners on site?

But... with cash patients, the receptionist runs your credit card or takes your cash at the end of the session.  3 minutes, instead of headaches and hours (and $15 an hour employees and IT infrastructure).  Not unlike the dentist or veterinarian prior to the insurance industry getting their meathooks into those offices.

Cash is king at the doctor's office.  You just have to declare so as you begin your relationship with a given office and get the cash fee schedule worked out.  Because it probably doesn't exist for the particular CPT codes you're going to use in their computer system.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »
its a joke at my docs i bring him fresh eggs and power wash his house in trade

That's awesome!  I can't wait until my hens start laying :)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 12:59:18 PM »
We traded a pole fence for pre-natal/OB care :)

Of course, that was back in another century ...   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin