Author Topic: NATO running low on precision munitions  (Read 4038 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
NATO running low on precision munitions
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:54:59 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nato-runs-short-on-some-munitions-in-libya/2011/04/15/AF3O7ElD_story.html

Some members of the NATO group performing missions in Libya are running low on precision air-dropped bombs.  I was interested to read that there is apparently not a NATO standard for hanging bombs off planes, regardless of whom manufactured the planes.  There are ample stocks of US munitions, but they will not fit on British and French planes. 

I wonder if NATO will now draft a STANAG for a common interface for mounting air-dropped bombs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: NATO running low on precision munitions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:54:41 PM »
I read an article about that the other day. Great Britain has spent so much on social programs that they have a fraction of the number of cruise missiles they did years ago, and have to ration them in the Libya operations.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:07:15 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:29:14 AM »
^
A well-deserved zinger from Nelson!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:33:00 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 04:54:39 AM »
Good thing there is no hungry great power anywhere east of France that wants to take over. Great defense plan to rely on the other guys being broke too. Embarrassing.

Scary too. I'm not so tied to French military jokes to think they'll ever be run over easily again, but when your conventional weapons exhaust after a few weeks of low level conflict it seems that it would be that much more likely to fall back on your nuclear deterrent. Offensive or defensive, if you don't have precison air munitions to attack air defense, C&C, and other high value targets you are going to lose the fight. Or cry for someone else to save you, not like that ever happened before.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
I have no problem supplying some of our stocks to our allies for this operation but since it doesn't involve the defense of Europe they need to pay retail.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
I have no problem supplying some of our stocks to our allies for this operation but since it doesn't involve the defense of Europe they need to pay retail.

That's the problem, we use different guided bombs and missiles than our allies do for a large part.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
That's the problem, we use different guided bombs and missiles than our allies do for a large part.

Then we shall include some expert Bubbas with the shipment and charge the allies "triple key" pricing on the duct tape and baling wire.

The Euros will be responsible for supplying the beer and the "watching of this".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:53:46 AM »
Why don't they just use trucks to drive the ordnance to the targets and then set it off by cell phone signals?

Seems to work for the jihadists.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
Why don't they just use trucks to drive the ordnance to the targets and then set it off by cell phone signals?

Seems to work for the jihadists.

They'd have to drop the trucks from the air, too - and they can't hook them up to the planes' hardpoints. >:D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Despite U.S. badgering, European allies have been slow in some cases to modify their planes and other weapons systems so they can accommodate U.S. bombs. Retooling these fighter jets so that they are compatible with U.S. systems requires money, and all European militaries have faced significant cuts in recent years.
It sounds to me like the bombs fit the hard points, but the electronics are out of date.  Our bombs are too smart for their airplanes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »
Probably wouldn't work with the GPS guided stuff, but with laser guided munitions just send the bombs off dumb from the euros jets, get a US FAC aircraft to lase for them.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »
Our allies' military establishments are on the brink of "Second Rate" and tipping closer toward "Irrelevant."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton