Author Topic: One "benefit" of the coming diminution of U.S. Power  (Read 4038 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
One "benefit" of the coming diminution of U.S. Power
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
I'm watching as our president proves his "leadership" capabilities on the world stage and had the thought that this might be the beginning of end of the US as a superpower and a return to the state of the world pre-Pax Americana.

As the US withdraws from the world (either by choice or forced to it by economic necessity), the void will not be left empty. I doubt one country will assert itself as dominant, but instead we will have the much more normal state of countries warring with one another and vying for control/conquest.

This will, of course, create tensions and uncertainties across the globe. The ever present threat of the United States stepping in if someone gets too disruptive has kept the world at peace. (Relative, we won't see true Peace while man rules.)

Once that peace is gone, so too will be the conditions that allow for "Just in Time" manufacturing and, honestly, significant foreign investments.

When we are no longer a superpower, we'll be bringing all kinds of manufacturing either home to the US or to a nearby country where we still have influence. (Canada, Mexico, maybe Central America.)

So, to all those people who complain about "Globalization", all we have to do is end the hegemony of U.S. power and it will end! Happy days will be here again!

(Of course, everyone, worldwide, but specifically in the US, will be poorer as we will have to pay more for every good and service, but, at least in this country it's all American (or close to it) made! Woo! Amiright?!)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
Re: One "benefit" of the coming diminution of U.S. Power
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »
The British Empire isn't even a shadow of a shadow of its former self.
It dominated the entire world for several hundred years up until WWII.
How did it lose its numero uno status in the world? Its currency was destroyed by WWII and the USA stepped up to take that role.
I really have my doubts that the US will be able to hold together if when our currency fails.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »
I'm on board with your scenario, given the predicate that when the next cause celebre/humanitarian crisis rolls around we do actually exercise self-restrain and don't give way to the constituencies with interventionist agendas. I'm not thoroughly convinced we're there yet...

As to the economic ramifications, I think we're in for a rough ride no matter what, in line with brimic's observation. That being said, I can't see a downside to a resurgence of domestic production if the global basis for information innovation diminishes.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
The British Empire isn't even a shadow of a shadow of its former self.
It dominated the entire world for several hundred years up until WWII.
How did it lose its numero uno status in the world? Its currency was destroyed by WWII and the USA stepped up to take that role.
I really have my doubts that the US will be able to hold together if when our currency fails.
  Some people peg the fall of Rome to the grain dole. (Bread and circuses, anyone?)
Britain's welfare state is legendary.
The USA is spending around $1,000,000,000,000.00 a year - a TRILLION dollars - on various (supposedly) means-tested entitlement programs - a number pretty close to the annual deficit. (BTW, this figure does NOT include Social Security!)

Isn't there an old adage about history repeating itself?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

agricola

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
  Some people peg the fall of Rome to the grain dole. (Bread and circuses, anyone?)
Britain's welfare state is legendary.
The USA is spending around $1,000,000,000,000.00 a year - a TRILLION dollars - on various (supposedly) means-tested entitlement programs - a number pretty close to the annual deficit. (BTW, this figure does NOT include Social Security!)

Isn't there an old adage about history repeating itself?

Our welfare state didnt exist when our Empire went into terminal decline, and noone who knows much about Roman history pegs the fall of Rome to the grain dole.   

Personally, I think that the majority of problems relating to the US and its immediate future (and this can be extrapolated out to the West as a whole) can be laid at the door of a significant proportion of the population having had it very good for quite a long time. 

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

Personally, I think that the majority of problems relating to the US and its immediate future (and this can be extrapolated out to the West as a whole) can be laid at the door of a significant proportion of the population having had it very good for quite a long time. 

There's something to this quote of John Adams, despite him being one of the great progenitors of Statism:

β€œI must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain.”

It ties hand in hand to this quote, from Alexander Tytler:

From bondage to spiritual faith,
From spiritual faith to great courage,
From courage to liberty,
From liberty to abundance,
From abundance to selfishness,
From selfishness to complacency,
From complacency to apathy,
From apathy to dependency,
From dependency back again to bondage.

Applied intellectual and spiritual rigor is mandatory to own a proper appreciation of freedom.

Adams gave his response quoted above when questioned by French diplomatic nobility about the lack of culture in the New World.  France had the poetry, sculpture, music and other decadent achievements mentioned at the end of Adams' quote... but was 15 years away from its own collapse from social dissatisfaction with government.

In Tytler's cycle, we are approaching the dependency/bondage stage, what with the welfare state in the condition it is in.  It's not yet the majority of the country, but then again... the Revolution only utilized 3% of the population at any given time.  If 3% of the domestic FSA actually developed their own form of "spiritual faith" and "great courage" in a direction compatible with FSA goals...we could have a serious problem.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »

Rome wasn't abrupt.  It took centuries, and kind of fizzled out into the middle ages.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
Rome wasn't abrupt.  It took centuries, and kind of fizzled out into the middle ages.

The eastern half of the empire didn't fall until the 15th century.

But the USSR came apart pretty fast.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 04:25:15 AM »
The eastern half of the empire didn't fall until the 15th century.

But the USSR came apart pretty fast.

The USSR was just another iteration of the Russian Empire... which basically retains most of its territory today.

It's useful to compare what exists today to the original territory of Muscovy.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
From bondage to spiritual faith,
From spiritual faith to great courage,
From courage to liberty,
From liberty to abundance,
From abundance to selfishness,
From selfishness to complacency,
From complacency to apathy,
From apathy to dependency,
From dependency back again to bondage.

az, thanks for this quote......too true......now, how do we break the cycle?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »
az, thanks for this quote......too true......now, how do we break the cycle?

Simple. Just change human nature.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
Simple. Just change human nature.
Exactly, it is a generational thing.  Each generation of youth grows up under circumstances different from the generation before them.  That affects their thinking for their entire lives both in what they think is important and what they are willing to accept as "normal".
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »

"History is filled with the sound of silken slippers going downstairs and wooden shoes going up." - Voltaire

Most Americans have been wearing silken slippers for quite a while now.
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »
Just-in-time delivery and globalisation are the result of technological progress and improved delivery methods.

If some country tried to mess with the resulting system by, say, blocking shipping lanes, literally everyone would run them down.

Observe Russia's reaction to Somalian pirates.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »
Just-in-time delivery and globalisation are the result of technological progress and improved delivery methods.

If some country tried to mess with the resulting system by, say, blocking shipping lanes, literally everyone would run them down.

There's more to it than shipping lanes.  Technological progress and improved delivery methods still rely on stable markets, production, and transport ability.  Shipping companies have to have adequate capital to operate.  Factories must be able to produce raw materials.  Interruptions don't have to be due to social unrest or criminality, they can be caused by business factors such as insecurity, lack of funds, etc.  You cannot prevent that with military power.  A hiccup at any stage will delay the entire chain. 

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
There's more to it than shipping lanes.  Technological progress and improved delivery methods still rely on stable markets, production, and transport ability.  Shipping companies have to have adequate capital to operate.  Factories must be able to produce raw materials.  Interruptions don't have to be due to social unrest or criminality, they can be caused by business factors such as insecurity, lack of funds, etc.  You cannot prevent that with military power.  A hiccup at any stage will delay the entire chain. 

Chris
And the hiccups are frequent and often. 

It has it's places, but that place isn't everyplace and time.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »

Blocking shipping lanes is an overt action. Breaking down the reliable transportation that allows for Just in Time does not require acts of war.

Instability, "hostilities", actual wars, governmental collapse, breakdown in foreign infrastructure, etc... all can derail those "improved delivery methods".

Technology facilitates globalization and just-in-time production. It is a necessary but not sufficient condition for their emergence and continued existence. Should the stability the world currently enjoys fall apart, technology will not be able to ameliorate the uncertainty that would be the necessary result.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »
I work in an industry where our orders can completely dry up just if the forecasts for the holiday season are "less than optimum". All it takes to put us under is a dip in "consumer confidence". I agree that nobody has to shoot at us or block our shipping lanes for moderate-scale chaos to ensue in the markets. This generation has never known rations or shortages.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
This generation has never known rations or shortages.

Dot two two long rifle ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
I work in an industry where our orders can completely dry up just if the forecasts for the holiday season are "less than optimum". All it takes to put us under is a dip in "consumer confidence". I agree that nobody has to shoot at us or block our shipping lanes for moderate-scale chaos to ensue in the markets. This generation has never known rations or shortages.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »
Dot two two long rifle ?   =|

"I see no shortage here."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.