Author Topic: Corn Ethanol Madness Finally Over?  (Read 4035 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Corn Ethanol Madness Finally Over?
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/04/20/its-final-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/

The UN has now found that if you count the energy used in growing the corn and all related transportation, it is far worse for the planet than Oil... for which they counted extraction, refining, and transport from the start.  I would have honestly trusted a grade schooler to work this out.  Fuel source made over thousands upon thousands of years just sitting there all compressed and for free after extraction cost and some centuries developed refining, vs a fuel source from the same principle, un-compressed/concentrated, that requires continuous cultivation and refining and just as much transport as the other stuff.  

Oh, and woops, increasing food prices also starves folks, and increasing fuel prices causes not just travel/transport opportunity costs, but folks freezing to death in winter. Oopsies.  

I wish I could think it was rationality breaking in, but I really thing its just a prelude to the next great wonder of energy alternative with massive gov. intervention for the choosing of winners and losers.  

Edit: Useful synopsis for side effects and fallouts that basically follow 20 seconds of thought. (From the same article, citing a gov report)
"In 2000, over 90% of the U.S. corn crop went to feed people and livestock, many in undeveloped countries, with less than 5% used to produce ethanol. In 2013, however, 40% went to produce ethanol, 45% was used to feed livestock, and only 15% was used for food and beverage (AgMRC)."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:55:59 AM by Ned Hamford »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Corn Ethanol Madness Finally Over?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »
Unfortunately for us, the .gov will not get the message.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »

Actually they have through the degradation of environment reports that have come out lately.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Actually they have through the degradation of environment reports that have come out lately.

Color me surprised.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:47:58 PM »
But the farm/ethanol lobby, is pretty strong.  The American consumer will lose yet again. 

Thanks, Wesley Clark.  You sucked then, and you suck even harder now.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »

Starving people and rising fuel costs...no worries!

Environment is taking a hit...We Must Act Now!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »

Eh? Are you mad? The .gov will get the message in a heartbeat.

http://www.ncga.com/for-farmers/issue-briefs/ethanol

"Gee, it'd be an awful shame if anything happened to that ethanol mandate... Now, if some poor orphaned campaign contributions needed a good home, I'm sure my re-election PAC could help out."

Repeat next year.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
Eh? Are you mad? The .gov will get the message in a heartbeat.

And besides the farm lobby...can you imagine a .gov solution to ethanol being proven not good? I guarantee it wouldn't be to stop subsidizing Ethanol...it'll be something *expletive deleted*ed up and insane.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
Color me surprised.

Living in the corn belt and seeing acres being taken out the conservation reserve program and put into row crops, and with the nutrient/sediment total daily loads limits for other watersheds (Chesapeake Bay and now Ohio River) I knew it was coming.

Cellulose based ethanol will also probably take a hit since removing too stover from the field surface increases erosion, so expect lower harvest of stover and more cover crops for soil protection during then non growing season.

What is interesting is that the Republicans in Iowa are fighting to have more corn based ethanol and the Democrats are fighting to reduce it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »

Just means it's time to double down on teh stoopidz.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »
Does that mean eating beef is also bad for the environment, since it removes both corn ears and stalks from the fields?

Just curious, I'll have to ask my cousins and uncles/aunts who sell corn to the local ethanol distilleries...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »
Does that mean eating beef is also bad for the environment, since it removes both corn ears and stalks from the fields?

Just curious, I'll have to ask my cousins and uncles/aunts who sell corn to the local ethanol distilleries...

Removal of stover is increases soil erosion since there is nothing to slow the impact of the raindrop.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 12:59:39 AM »
I just want ethanol out of gasoline...that's really all I ask.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Corn Ethanol Madness Finally Over?
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 06:39:27 AM »
Why do you hate the farmer and his traditions of burning his bounty in internal combustion engines?  Why i can recall grandma talking about her grandparents leaving the old world in the 1870s and coming to america  just so they could grow corn to be burned in precocious baby henry fords toy automobiles.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »

Petro-based fuels mixed with biofuels or some other alternative fuel is here to stay, be careful what you wish for. The next blend may only work in certain types of fuel delivery systems, requiring everyone to get a new Prius type vehicle.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
Petro-based fuels mixed with biofuels or some other alternative fuel is here to stay, be careful what you wish for. The next blend may only work in certain types of fuel delivery systems, requiring everyone to get a new Prius type vehicle.

This. Oil companies aren't going to care if their petroleum has to get mixed with ethanol or anything else. They're still making their money. The biofuel lobbies are not going to go away anytime soon, and I don't see enough concerned citizens getting together to successfully outbribe and outvote them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
Dammit.

If the UN doesn't like it I'm instinctualy impelled to re-evaluate my positiion. =|
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »

I can make several suggestions about the distillation of corn products that don't involve gasoline.   :P

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:07:26 PM »
I can make several suggestions about the distillation of corn products that don't involve gasoline.   :P

Mighty, mighty pleasin' ...

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »

wow, this is gonna be bad for the unemployment numbers.  first we'll have the farmers out of work, then all the mechanics who clean up the fuel systems!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:47 AM »
wow, this is gonna be bad for the unemployment numbers.  first we'll have the farmers out of work, then all the mechanics who clean up the fuel systems!

Not to mention the buggy and buggy whip manufacturers.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »

And buckboard makers, butter churn manufactures, crock makers, barrel makers, cotton flour sacks, wooden ship builders, sail makers, etc.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »

and whale oil processors!

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
I'm not one who forgets we are a petroleum-driven economy, and that's been the norm for decades, if not a century.

My current job is in the fracking industry, and they (Halliburton/Gardner Denver/Black Horse) are throwing millions of dollars at my company just to keep that technology growing.

With all the easy oil gone, fracking has become the mantra, even spouting such prophecies as being energy-independent from Ickystan/Saudi by 2020.  (Yeah, right)

Problem is, fracking is nasty business in and of itself, and then there's the seismic tremors that are being produced by injection of the wastewater underground, let alone the fracking process itself which runs my pistons, plungers, pony rods, and valves at 20-30K PSI for about 150 hours before they're scrapped. 

Ethanol is Satan's Steaming Loin Juice.  You'll drink it, no problem, but gawd forbid you run it in an internal or external combustion engine...   ;/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"