Author Topic: Proposed New York Machete Ban  (Read 4017 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Proposed New York Machete Ban
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
This article hurts my head. Has this guy ever taken a stroll down the gardening aisle at the Home Depot? Lots worse stuff than machetes there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/state-sen-tony-avella-ban-machetes-new-york-article-1.2120874
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Proposed New York Machete Ban
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »
“I didn’t even know it was possible to buy a machete online,” Terrance’s mother, Greta Price, told the Daily News. “I had no idea that it wasn’t considered a deadly weapon. It should be.”

It's a TOOL. Generally used for brush clearing and whatnot.

I'm curious how they are going to outlaw machetes. Will they be going by name? Because then people will move on to hatchets or kukris or what have you.

And this one:

“He’d still be alive today if it wasn’t for a machete.”

Yes, because there is no other tool ("DEADLY WEAPON!") that can do was a machete does.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »
This article hurts my head. Has this guy ever taken a stroll down the gardening aisle at the Home Depot? Lots worse stuff than machetes there.

Does this mean Gigabuist is now an arms dealer?

I know plenty of people who could cause a lot more carnage with an unaltered stick they picked up off the ground than I could with a machete.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
It's a TOOL. Generally used for brush clearing and whatnot.

I'm curious how they are going to outlaw machetes. Will they be going by name? Because then people will move on to hatchets or kukris or what have you.

And this one:

Yes, because there is no other tool ("DEADLY WEAPON!") that can do was a machete does.

I feel sorry for the mom, but her words are classic NYC apartment dweller. Geographically, 95% of NY has a use for a machete outside of it being a "deadly weapon", but an NYC (Queens) Senator wants to ban them because if someone living on the 10th floor of an NYC apartment doesn't have a need for a machete, neither does the upstate rural resident.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:12:04 PM »
Police say Sadler slashed Terrance Grier, 17, in the neck with the massive blade during an argument down the block from Sadler’s Hempstead home in July.

Greta Price holds a photo of her 17-year-old son Terrence Grier, who was murdered with a machete in July.
Christie M Farriella/for New York Daily News

Greta Price holds a photo of her 17-year-old son Terrence Grier, who was murdered with a machete in July.

“I didn’t even know it was possible to buy a machete online,” Terrance’s mother, Greta Price, told the Daily News. “I had no idea that it wasn’t considered a deadly weapon. It should be.”

Price said she visits her son’s grave two to three times each week, adding, “He’d still be alive today if it wasn’t for a machete.”

Ummm, no.  I mean I'm sorry your son is dead, but he was killed because he either failed to de-escalate the situation or he chose to continue to argue with a crazy dude armed with a machete.  And he'd be just as dead if crazy dude had a baseball bat, hammer, stick or rock.   The machete didn't do it, crazy dude did.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:03:22 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
I feel sorry for the mom, but her words are classic NYC apartment dweller. Geographically, 95% of NY has a use for a machete outside of it being a "deadly weapon", but an NYC (Queens) Senator wants to ban them because if someone living on the 10th floor of an NYC apartment doesn't have a need for a machete, neither does the upstate rural resident.

One could also argue that any of the apartment dwellers might like to camp or hike in an area where the machete would be useful.  What are they supposed to do then, buy it once they leave the state and throw it away at the end of the trip, or arrange out of state storage for a basic camping accessory?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
One could also argue that any of the apartment dwellers might like to camp or hike in an area where the machete would be useful.  What are they supposed to do then, buy it once they leave the state and throw it away at the end of the trip, or arrange out of state storage for a basic camping accessory?

Of course. Bringing such a weapon into peaceful, lawful New York state would be extreme, unsafe, terroristic, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »

Ummm, no.  I mean I'm sorry your son is dead, but he was killed because he either failed to de-escalate the situation or he chose to continue to argue with a crazy dude armed with a machete.  And he's be just as dead if crazy dude had a baseball bat, hammer, stick or rock.   The machete didn't do it, crazy dude did.

The liberals cannot and will not acknowledge that it is the person and not the object that does the harm.

Why? Because to admit that the person does the harm instead of the object would go against the avoidance of personal responsibility in today's society.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:16:56 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »
The liberals cannot and will not acknowledge that it is the person and not the object that does the harm.

Why? Because to admit that the person does the harm instead of the object would go against the avoidance of personal responsibility in today's society.

Memetic weapons. Soviet propaganda worked well, it seems.
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=260
In a previous post on Suicidalism, I identified some of the most important of the Soviet Union’s memetic weapons. Here is that list again:

There is no truth, only competing agendas.

All Western (and especially American) claims to moral superiority over Communism/Fascism/Islam are vitiated by the West’s history of racism and colonialism.

There are no objective standards by which we may judge one culture to be better than another. Anyone who claims that there are such standards is an evil oppressor.

The prosperity of the West is built on ruthless exploitation of the Third World; therefore Westerners actually deserve to be impoverished and miserable.

Crime is the fault of society, not the individual criminal. Poor criminals are entitled to what they take. Submitting to criminal predation is more virtuous than resisting it.

The poor are victims. Criminals are victims. And only victims are virtuous. Therefore only the poor and criminals are virtuous. (Rich people can borrow some virtue by identifying with poor people and criminals.)

For a virtuous person, violence and war are never justified. It is always better to be a victim than to fight, or even to defend oneself. But ‘oppressed’ people are allowed to use violence anyway; they are merely reflecting the evil of their oppressors.

When confronted with terror, the only moral course for a Westerner is to apologize for past sins, understand the terrorist’s point of view, and make concessions.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
Her son would still be alive today, were it not for the National Machete Association, and the multi-billion dollar machete industry pushing longer and sharper machetes to the American public. Most shockingly, it is perfectly legal for any New Yorker to buy a machete capable of striking 30 times, or even more.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:37:14 PM by fistful »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »
Her son would still be alive today, were it not for the National Machete Association, and the multi-billion dollar machete industry pushing longer and sharper machetes to the American public. Most shockingly, it is perfectly legal for any New Yorker to buy a machete capable of striking 30 times, or even more.

Indeed, every talking point in the article is classic Brady Campaign anti-gun rhetoric.

"When they came for the..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »
I've seen machete madness even out here in Sticksville, Oklahoma.
I generally carry a Ruger Vaquero while I'm mowing or otherwise working on the property during the summer. While my son was still in school he had a couple of his friends over one afternoon while I was doing something around the place. I had some reason to go to the shop and get my machete.
There I was with a big ole evil gun hanging off my belt and when I walked out of the shop carrying a machete two of the little weasels with my son about pissed themselves because I had a MACHETE!!!11!!111!  :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 08:29:07 AM »

I see this type of logic more and more in the court system.  It's not the fault of the thief that he stole the car, it's the car owner's fault for not locking the car doors.  It's the rape victim's fault for talking nice to the guy at the party.  It's the assault victim's fault for not running away.  etc., etc. ad nauseum.  The thought pattern which says "don't punish this person, just remove his ability to commit the offense and it's all better" does not compute in my mind...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »
Are the blades held in the picture considered machette's?  I don't recall seeing machettes like that.  They look more like kukris or just big knives.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »
Why not make crime illegal?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 07:02:09 PM »
Why not make crime illegal?

Well now you're just being ridiculous. I suppose next you'll be wanting people to take personal responsibility for their actions.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
Well now you're just being ridiculous. I suppose next you'll be wanting people to take personal responsibility for their actions.
Can't have that. Goes against the "memetic weapons" I posted previously in this thread.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 11:05:15 PM »
Are the blades held in the picture considered machette's?  I don't recall seeing machettes like that.  They look more like kukris or just big knives.

"Machete" is usually defined loosely enough that it would include kukuris, bolos, parangs, etc. They look a bit too long to be considered camp knives, so machete works well enough.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
I see this type of logic idiocy more and more in the court system.  It's not the fault of the thief that he stole the car, it's the car owner's fault for not locking the car doors.  It's the rape victim's fault for talking nice to the guy at the party.  It's the assault victim's fault for not running away.  etc., etc. ad nauseum.  The thought pattern which says "don't punish this person, just remove his ability to commit the offense and it's all better" does not compute in my mind...

fixed it fer ya.