Author Topic: Srinivasan or Garland for SCOTUS?  (Read 4021 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Srinivasan or Garland for SCOTUS?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:29:39 AM »
No.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 01:23:31 AM »
Srinivasan is an Obama donor. So *expletive deleted*ck no on him.

I also don't trust Garland. Appointed by Clinton? Probably not a big fan of gun rights. We can't afford Scalia being replaced by an anti-gunner.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
Nope nope nope nope.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:32 AM »
HELL NO!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
Breaking news as reported by USA Today: it is Garland as the nominee.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »
I'll take Garland over the unknown Clinton or Trump will put forward. Also just finished listening to Obama's address, I would rank that as one of his best addresses. I no fan of his, but I think he did an excellent job of explaining why the nomination shouldn't be blocked until the next President.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:32:10 AM »
Interestingly,  I heard Andrew Napilitano say that this is the most conservative judge that any modern Democrat has ever nominated.  Of course Democrat and conservative are relative. 

Nevertheless,  if true,  Obama has put republicans on the spot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »
Another interesting perspective I heard is that Obama doesn't want Garland, and that he's being used as a political pawn.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
Garland sought en-banc review of the decision to kill the DC handgun ban, and voted to let the DOJ keep NICS records.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/04/the-potential-nomination-of-merrick-garland/

http://www.davekopel.com/NRO/2000/Instant-Check-Permanent-Record.htm

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
I'm guessing no matter what tactics one applies to Obama's  choice, that he has ensured a fallback so that even if his scapegoat nominee were to be confirmed, that the nominee would be fairly inline with Obama's most important issues, gun control being near the top of that list.

Given the current makeup of the SC, even a "moderate" on gun control would be severely detrimental to gun rights. Though I'm not sure that even if the nomination was made by a Republican winner in this election, that we would get anyone who is a strong constitutionalist. Take your pick of Trump or Cruz, I don't think either one could get anyone more conservative than a Roberts through the Senate.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »
Take your pick of Trump or Cruz, I don't think either one could get anyone more conservative than a Roberts through the Senate.

And when the Senate rejects Constitutionalist nominees, the president would be blamed for picking such "controversial" and "extreme" candidates.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
Last time I checked, Ms. Clinton was still leading in the presidential polls.  Do people here think that she will produce a more acceptable SCOTUS candidate than President Obama?  I am not convinced of this.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »
Last time I checked, Ms. Clinton was still leading in the presidential polls.  Do people here think that she will produce a more acceptable SCOTUS candidate than President Obama?  I am not convinced of this.

Nope. But in this case, I'm a firm believer in democracy. The people will deserve to get whatever they vote for, good and hard.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »
A justice who idolized author of roe v wade?
No thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 03:15:48 PM »
Last time I checked, Ms. Clinton was still leading in the presidential polls.  Do people here think that she will produce a more acceptable SCOTUS candidate than President Obama?  I am not convinced of this.

She could also lose, and we'd be stuck with a justice that doesn't believe in, ya know, justice.

If she does win, I'd like to see the Republicans simply refuse to hold any hearings for anyone she appoints, to any office. As I've said before, I like the Republicans when they're "the Party of No."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 03:17:04 PM »

Care to imagine the kind of leftist candidates Sanders or Trump would put in place?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »

She could also lose, and we'd be stuck with a justice that doesn't believe in, ya know, justice.

If she does win, I'd like to see the Republicans simply refuse to hold any hearings for anyone she appoints, to any office. As I've said before, I like the Republicans when they're "the Party of No."

There is a pretty good chance the Senate will go back to the Democrats in November. So much for the party of no that has managed to piss off enough people that they think Trump is the best candidate.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 03:25:25 PM »
There is a pretty good chance the Senate will go back to the Democrats in November. So much for the party of no that has managed to piss off enough people that they think Trump is the best candidate.
A big part of that reason is that instead of saying no they've said far to much yes.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »
A big part of that reason is that instead of saying no they've said far to much yes.

So toss them under the bus and let other party win?

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
It's the predictable end result of being a failure and not delivering on any campaign promises. Hell, often enough accomplishing the exact opposite.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »

That's why Congressional seats are only 2-6 years (and a lot of the Founders wanted the terms to be even shorter). When a representative/senator displeases the base, he may not be re-elected. Civics 101.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 04:01:48 PM »

I've heard a lot of Rs in my part of the world indicating that they are staying home in November, to hell with the consequences, because they are tired of voting for a crappy candidate just because he/she has the support of the party establishment, and an "R" by their name on the ballot.  Want candidates with better qualifications than just having the R there...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »
I don't know how many people are ready to let the Republican Party sink or swim. I feel like there are a lot of us, but that's probably just because I hang out here too often. The conservatives hate the leadership of the party that claims to represent them, and vice versa, so perhaps the Grand Old Party has had its day. American politics has room for but two large parties, but we may have to entertain 3 or more until there's a realignment. Let the GOP either reform itself, or be lost to history.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 05:10:30 PM »
Care to imagine the kind of leftist candidates Sanders or Trump would put in place?

On the one hand, I  don't think Trump would nominate a leftie,  but  past appointments by putatively conservative presidents have proven disappointing before......so who can really say?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero