Author Topic: Something a friend said to me the other day...  (Read 4026 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Something a friend said to me the other day...
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:56:03 AM »
And I can't really disagree with him.

We were talking about politics in general. We both share similar political positions and a general antipathy for the left.

Out of the blue he said "I used worry there'd be a war between the left and right. Now I'm hoping that there is.

This from a guy who normally wouldn't hurt a fly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Something a friend said to me the other day...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
And I can't really disagree with him.

We were talking about politics in general. We both share similar political positions and a general antipathy for the left.

Out of the blue he said "I used worry there'd be a war between the left and right. Now I'm hoping that there is.

This from a guy who normally wouldn't hurt a fly.

I had noticed that sentiment growing, but hoped that it was just an aberration or a skewed perspective.  

It worries me, because civil wars are always bloody, costly, and rarely work out for the best.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
I just hope people who are not on the left start taking it that seriously in their voting before they resort to violence.  

I say that, but I think that may change.  The left seems to have given up any effort to hide what they really want.  They no longer try to act like centrists.  Some of the politicians still do, but I wonder how long that will last.  The bad part I worry about is people who are otherwise more conservative still fall back on leftist arguments. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:03:47 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »
It would be interesting but I don't see war as we know it coming. Everybody knows they don't want gunz, they want the power to order official somebodies WITH gunz to support thier ideology.
Maybe thier version of war is using the IRS, FBI, Supreme Court, MSM, and congress to gain thier objectives. Maybe they already declared war? 
What we have here is failure to communicate.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »
It would be interesting but I don't see war as we know it coming. Everybody knows they don't want gunz, they want the power to order official somebodies WITH gunz to support thier ideology.
Maybe thier version of war is using the IRS, FBI, Supreme Court, MSM, and congress to gain thier objectives. Maybe they already declared war? 

I have already read articles referring to a "Cold Civil War" that is ongoing. That's effectively what you're describing.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:38:17 AM »
"I just hope people who are not on the left start taking it that seriously in their voting before they resort to violence. "

I don't think such a war would be started by the right. I really think it would come out of some of the really fringe groups on the left, and they would suck a lot of people in with them.

The most likely place for something like that to happen? California, I think. The freaks burned their own nests in the days following Trump's inauguration. Were he to win a second term I wouldn't be surprised to see them branch out into "enemy" territory.

Certain groups in California are talking about breaking away into their own nation. Realistically, though, the political power in the state is clustered into a few small but densely populated geographic areas, primarily in the south of the state. Much of the rest of the state is starkly different politically and socially, and there's talk coming out of those areas that if California breaks away from the US, those areas will break away from California to stay in the US.

And the areas that generally would want to stay in the US?

They control the watersheds in California that serve the southern part of the state.

That's what your war would really be about... Natural resources.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »

Pretty much. The Left got serious about taking over this country a long time ago. Some are more willing to break the law than others. Some more willing to use violence and deception than others.

But don't call them the enemy. Don't say they're anti-American. That's mean, and divisive, and stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »

There is real danger in that of triggering an ‘Unintended Consequences’ type scenario, though at this point, I think that would be the most optimal outcome for all sides.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
It worries me, because civil wars are always bloody, costly, and rarely work out for the best.

Yup.

We rural red area types have the food, and where I live, the water and a bunch of electrical power, and so some folks think we can starve them out.

But the blue urban areas have most of the computing power and industrial capacity plus are the logistics hubs we rely on to get the things that maintain our standard of living out here in the sticks. (Actually, I'm sticks-adjacent, but would still be affected). So they can hurt us really bad. And if the fighting takes place in or near cities then we are all screwed.   
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
Read Sun Tzu ...if you want war,  you'd best know both yourself and your enemy well.
Make your enemy fight your way,  do not fight his way.

And Machiavelli; "never do an enemy a minor injury."    In modern parlance: Do not be a Rick Grimes! >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
I prefer the military tenets laid out in this futuristic text...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
Yup.

We rural red area types have the food, and where I live, the water and a bunch of electrical power, and so some folks think we can starve them out.

But the blue urban areas have most of the computing power and industrial capacity plus are the logistics hubs we rely on to get the things that maintain our standard of living out here in the sticks. (Actually, I'm sticks-adjacent, but would still be affected). So they can hurt us really bad. And if the fighting takes place in or near cities then we are all screwed.   

If we're going for the SHTF/ civil war  scenarios:

Unfortunately, the big coastal liberal urban centers have one of the most strategically important assets: The ports. I have a little experience participating in "maritime terrorism" exercises involving attacks on ports. A bit of googling will give you some idea of just how quickly things can collapse way inland if a major port is shutdown (or you are cut off from it) for even a week.

Saying "Well, screw California, we've got a port in Texas" doesn't work either. Logistically, global shipping runs on incredibly tight schedules and timetables. Diverting ships from LA/LB to Galveston only means a bunch of ships are sitting offshore wasting fuel because the Galveston infrastructure can't unload them.

Now if you're in "A country boy can survive" mode in a rural area, you might be okay other than you'll soon be missing your Charmin. But if you're in a larger inland mostly conservative urban area (Boise is a good example), you're screwed if you're cut off from shipped goods.

Again, speaking to the SHTF/civil war/whatever scenario, eventually you could work around some of that, for instance in the "CA is its own country" game, then Galveston only takes goods going to "the US" and not say, East or West coast "enemy territory". Unfortunately, the ports in "conservative territory" are kinda puny compared to LA/LB and New Jersey.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
Sure. They've got the ports. But how are they going to defend them?

By sending out wave after wave of transgender Xiu-whatevers to shout loudly at us?

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 12:46:52 PM »
They will attack us with Jazz hands and Twinkle fingers ... have you ever been Twinkle fingered ... resistance is futile ...  =D
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 01:04:25 PM »
I know what a Jazz hand is... but WTF is a Twinkee Finger?

More importantly, is it something that the good old boys who storm the ports can deep fry for the victory celebration?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 01:07:42 PM »
The left (especially the more radical ones that have been growing over the past few year), are itching for a fight, they keep prompting and provoking.  Like Matt Bracken has said, "We're one mag dump away from a Civil War".

Right now were in the early street fighting stage.  Where the Commies and Nazi's are mixing it up.  Once the "normals" start taking (heavy) casualties, then it will be game on.   And the Normals are much more heavily armed (and prepared) then the lefties.  

They may sow the wind, but they will reap the whirlwind.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
RE; the ports and the logistics infrastructure. 

The guys unloading the shipping and draying containers are much more likely to be NRA members then anarchists or even beard waxing hipsters.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 01:23:19 PM »
But by that time they'll have executed all of the NRA members....

WIN!

griz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
It's tempting to think the opposition will look like this but I doubt a real civil war would be this comical:

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »
Another advantage for us if the above are our opponents is that we will be able to easily ambush them whenever they break into their inevitable musical numbers.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
It's tempting to think the opposition will look like this but I doubt a real civil war would be this comical:

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCEvlDSUQAAoT_o.jpg

Well, I do find it hysterical that the kind of people on the left that call for "civil war" are people like the Fresno English "professor" and pigglypuff or whatever her name is, and "the archer". Over before it has even started.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »

Are there any men* on their side ?? 

* - With real man parts, not just "identify" as men....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
Are there any men* on their side ?? 

* - With real man parts, not just "identify" as men....

As I recall, one of the leftist trans-its threatened to send Ben Shapiro home in an ambulance. He looked fully capable of doing it, dress and removal of men's parts notwithstanding.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
As I recall, one of the leftist trans-its threatened to send Ben Shapiro home in an ambulance. He looked fully capable of doing it, dress and removal of men's parts notwithstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQy70_LPS4

IIRC, the "trans-it" (going to remember that one) is a former Navy SEAL.

Money quote from the clip:  "Forget about the 'disprespect': facts don't care about your feelings."
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 05:25:58 PM »
RE; the ports and the logistics infrastructure.  

The guys unloading the shipping and draying containers are much more likely to be NRA members then anarchists or even beard waxing hipsters.
I think most urban/suburban areas are pretty mixed.  Even the rural areas are often pretty mixed even if the percentages vary.  IMO, it really comes down to what issue does the triggering and who is involved.  Most people won't want to get involved unless they absolutely have to.  It also depends on who is in the leadership of the country at the time.  Sudden full on war across the entire nation is highly unlikely.  I would think domestic terrorism would get heavy long before that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge