Author Topic: Something a friend said to me the other day...  (Read 4028 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Something a friend said to me the other day...
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »
I think I've been reading too much on the fall of the Roman Republic.

Podcasts are nice, too.

An interesting take I've found: the Roman people lost the moral ability to fight for themselves. They didn't have the will, any longer.

Once they imported people to do their fighting for them, it was only a matter of time until their empire collapsed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »
I'm not going to argue that you or your wife haven't experienced these things, just sharing my own perspective - one which seemed underrepresented in this thread. I think people on this board (and others like it) can get themselves a bit worked up since it's kind of an echo chamber. I remember people calling Obama's reelection the end of America, that we wouldn't last another 4 years and even if we did he wouldn't allow power to be wrenched from his grasp.  ;/

Same bullshit was vomited out about Reagan, H.W Bush, Clinton and G.W Bush. I've even heard it about Trump.
One thing to consider though, prior to Obama we didn't see government agencies (IRS, FBI) openly weaponized and used against the opposition with impunity and then openly working to undermine the duly elected administration. We didn't see the left openly, with impunity and aided and abetted by the mainstream media blatantly lying, twisting the truth or outright making *expletive deleted*it up to attack the duly elected administration.  You also didn't see people on the right side of the aisle openly working against US interests in foreign countries (Kerry  in Iran). As far as I can see Obama and the left haven't quite allowed power to be completely wrenched from his grasp.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
An interesting take I've found: the Roman people lost the moral ability to fight for themselves. They didn't have the will, any longer.

Once they imported people to do their fighting for them, it was only a matter of time until their empire collapsed.
I'm not talking about the collapse of the Empire, I'm talking about the collapse of the Republic.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
I'm not talking about the collapse of the Empire, I'm talking about the collapse of the Republic.

I don't know if I'd characterize that as a collapse, so much as a takeover. But point taken.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought