Author Topic: What should my wife bring me from France?  (Read 13528 times)

Lee

• friend
What should my wife bring me from France?
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:32:45 AM »
My wife is working in France this week.  What unique gift should I ask her to get me?  I'm not a big wine drinker, and a 21 year old french maid is probably out of the question...what else can you get there that is hard to find here...that a guy like me, with interests in hunting, shooting, knives, and such, would like?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: What should my wife bring me from France?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:35:42 AM »
Not a darn thing.  There isnt anything in Europe worthwhile that you can't get here for less.  Sad but true.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:38:50 AM »
The Rabbi may just be right, as I am sure that a lot of stuff (cheese and wine et cetera) is already imported.

How about a tin of Normandy soil, like in Saving Private Ryan? Cheesy
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:40:58 AM »
Gauloises...if you smoke.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 04:43:11 AM »
There's a museum in Normandy, if they go there. They showed the museum on a travel show, a VERY nice presentation of the entire battle that makes you wonder why they don't have such museums in the US...it made the relevant bits of the Smithsonian look rather poor. Might have some nice stuff in a gift shop.

Other than that, there's nothing that you can't get at any place that imports. Most all commodities are global now, even from small vendors. Buy it there, and all you do is pay twice on the duties.

I'd say to get some absinthe, (GOOD STUFF!!!), but Customs will often confiscate it. It's safer to just order it from an unlabeled-box shipper.

Furious Styles

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 04:53:44 AM »
It's crazy, but the taxes are so high on things there that you might want that it's usually cheaper to buy them in the US. At least that was the case when I priced Mont Blanc pens and Vuarnet sunglasses in the 90s.

Depending upon where she is, you might ask her to bring you back some local beer. The northern part of France, especially near Belgium, Luxembourg, and the German border has a very, very strong tradition of brewing excellent beers, much like their neighbors'. Also, in some areas, there is limited production of local specialty liquor, such as an armagnac or a calvados. Otherwise, she might just do better going through duty-free.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 05:03:37 AM »
Have her stop by the Louvre . . . if she says something in German, they'll probably just give her whatever she asks for.

As for bringing home a French maid . . . judging by Bridget Bardot, French women don't age very gracefully.

Seriously, about the only thing I can identify in my home which is of French origin is a Garcia Mitchell fishing reel that dates back to the late '60s. Other than wines, cookware/cookbooks, and Michelin tires, the French really don't produce any especially worthy products. And most of these can be obtained locally at competitive prices.

SOME countries allow for refund of their VAT (like a national sales tax) when travelers are leaving the country - you might look into that if she does find something.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:51:02 AM »
French military rifle. Lots laying around. Condition new, only dropped once.   laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 07:30:39 AM »
How about an authentic white flag?

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 07:50:19 AM »
How about some Chanel N°5 ?
I hear it's better than taking a shower
and you can use it as a repellent against the   
France bashing, stereotyping, inbred trolls.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »
Chill out Laurent, my post and Ben W's were meant to be humorous.  I don't hate France, nor am I inbred. 

Perhaps you should have more than 18 posts under your belt before you start labeling people who have been here a long time as "trolls".

Oh, and lighten up!

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »
No, that's OK.  I'm happy to be stereotyping the cheese-eating surrender monkeys and their snotty superior attitude because they are taxed and regulated more than we are here.  That and their double-dealing hypocritical foreign policy.
I will say that of all the major cities I've been to, I have liked Paris the best.  And never experienced any of the legendary nastiness myself.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 08:35:21 AM »
How about some Chanel N°5 ?
I hear it's better than taking a shower
and you can use it as a repellent against the   
France bashing, stereotyping, inbred trolls.

That's funny as h***!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!
I think someone else besides him needs to lighten up!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
Laurent's been around a while. IIRC he lives in Paris? No, I know he's in France,,, Cote Azur? Nailed it!  He's our resident anti France basher.  He pops up whenever anybody picks on France. cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »
What about outdoor clothing...besides beres?  BTW -She will be in the countyside -a small town, hours from Paris.   

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 11:50:28 AM »
05-10° Celsius, a Beret , a sweater and a good waterproof jacket will do.

Maybe a Kevlar under the sweater ?
In France they only need to be bulletproof on the backside,
it keeps them cheaper this way and it fits our combat style and goes so well with Chanel.

Rabbi, you'd be enjoying cheese too, if you had two kitchens, two fridges, two plates, two knifes......

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 12:02:19 PM »
05-10° Celsius, a Beret , a sweater and a good waterproof jacket will do.

Maybe a Kevlar under the sweater ?
In France they only need to be bulletproof on the backside,
it keeps them cheaper this way and it fits our combat style and goes so well with Chanel.

Rabbi, you'd be enjoying cheese too, if you had two kitchens, two fridges, two plates, two knifes......

I have 2 plates and 2 knives.  But I only need about 5 kinds of cheese.  And I dont need any that smell like my feet in a Tennessee summer.

spooney

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 12:09:41 PM »
My parents bring me back an Opinel every time the go to France.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 01:29:28 PM »
Zoh...how du yu say in frances ..."do you have the cheese that smell like the Rabbi foot in zee Tennessee summair?  I'll email my wife and tell her to ask the local cheese vendor.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 01:54:44 PM »
VSOP

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 02:00:55 PM »
Maybe she can bring back some hatred for America, arrogance, and some of that oil for food money from Iraq...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 03:51:57 PM »
Zoh...how du yu say in frances ..."do you have the cheese that smell like the Rabbi foot in zee Tennessee summair?  I'll email my wife and tell her to ask the local cheese vendor.

"Avez vous une fromage comme fromage Limberger?"  That ought to do it nicely.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 03:22:56 AM »
Snails or a Manhurin. smiley
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 03:30:09 AM »
I bet she comes back and says how nice everyone was to her.

Back in the Reagan years I had a chance to go to Paris and had a real nice time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 04:20:58 AM »
Sometimes the stereotypes ring true.

My wife (we'd just started dating) was a chaperone for a group of high school seniors on a trip to Paris, Versailles, etc.  This was in May of 2003, so anti-Americanism was in full swing.  Mostly, though, she noticed that the men wore very tight jeans.

They were on a bus when a nutty Frog verbally abused their principal, accusing him of Judaism and other crimes.  He happened to be the principal of a conservative Baptist school, but the poor Frog didn't know this.

In another incident, my wife and some female students were harassed by drunkenly amorous Italians.  I suppose most American tourists would have taken them for Frenchmen, so that may be the sort of thing that perpetuates stereotypes.

Also, she ordered butter and got beer.  Poor girl.   smiley

As for American stereotypes, I was at a 7-11 and asked the Pakistani behind the counter if he had a card I could use to call my girlfriend in France.  Some dude in line behind me inquired if my girlfriend was French.  I answered that she was not.  "Good," he said, "F*** the French." 

Good times. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife