Author Topic: 300.. are you planning on going to see this one?  (Read 2061 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
300.. are you planning on going to see this one?
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:34:35 PM »
300 is coming to the big screen  300 the movie
For those that aren't familiar with this, it's Frank Millers graphic novel about the Battle of Thermopylea.

I'll be curious to see if the call to drop their arms is in there, along with their response "Molon Labe"(english pronuciation of course)

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Re: 300.. are you planning on going to see this one?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:29:20 PM »
I'm counting the seconds...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:45:22 PM »
I'm getting a little tired of the overly artsy style of desatured color coupled with jumpcuts and other now-trite editing techniques.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 02:55:26 AM »
I am looking forward to this.

Just remember guys, this is not supposed to be historically accurate, it is just a cinematic depiction of the graphic novel, which takes many liberties with the story.

If you want more than that, go read 'Gates of Fire' (I know I did).
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:43:10 AM »
I did read Gates of Fire recently.  That is why I am undecided on this movie.  It looked like it was just too much computer generated crap and men leaping 47 feet through the air.  I get sick of the unrealism in many movies where it would be a better movie if they just kept it somewhat realistic. 

I'll likely watch it anyway, just not sure if it will be in the movies.  Might watch Ghost Rider instead.  It isn't supposed to be real.

Maybe one of the other studios will do a similar movie and make it better, like the Wyatt Earp stuff a few years back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 05:47:18 AM »
I've seen a commercial for ithe movie on TV a couple of times - the photography looked like absolute, unadulterated cr@p, the sort of thing an elementary school student would make if he was turned loose on a video with a multimedia PC having a "Photoshop for Video" type of application to try out.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Trip20

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 09:47:53 AM »
I'll wait for dvd.  I don't go to the movies.  Too expensive, I can't hit pause to run to the bathroom, and my recliner puts to shame any theatre seating I've experienced.

Oh, and they serve cold beer at my house.   grin

Kyle

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 10:22:45 AM »
They serve cold beer at my movie theater too.... The Alamo Drafthouse

I'm looking forward to this one.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 12:11:39 PM »
You guys keep mentioning the look of the film. The thing is, is that it is based off a graphic novel (fancy comic book) done by the same guy that made 'Sin City'. It is not supposed to be realistic, it is a heavily stylised take on historical events.

If you want to see 'Gates of Fire' on celluloid, why not petition HBO? 'Gates of Fire' would work much better as a mini-series, than as a movie. Theres much more actual content in 'Gates of Fire' than there is in '300'.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Trip20

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »
My theatres don't serve beer, Kyle.   sad

Besides, I can drink too much beer during a 2hr movie.  Best I stay on the recliner.   angel

pluvo

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:43:34 AM »
I guess I'll be the only one catching this at Imax then?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 01:00:04 PM »
it is based off a graphic novel (fancy comic book) done by the same guy that made 'Sin City'. It is not supposed to be realistic, it is a heavily stylised take on historical events.
The "Spider Man" movies were based on comic books, as were the Superman movies and others. Often the dialog, acting, etc., was lacking, but the visual imagery was pretty decent.

Making a visual turd and calling it "a heavily stylised take" doesn't change the substance, it remains a visual turd. (Of course, I feel the same way about some of the "hip" TV shows where they insisting on tilting the camera from side to side.)

The story and acting will have to be awesomely good to make up for bad visuals.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »
Cripes, folks...  It's a fantasy movie.  It's supposed to be entertaining, not overly realistic.  If you want a realistic depiction of the life and times, go watch a documentary.

From the trailers they've shown, the visuals in 300 are superb.  The compositions are excellent and the overall look and feel is perfect for the kind of movie it is.  It is obviously made by people who care about the visuals and put in the effort and money to get it right.

Desaturated color is a common technique used to create a gritty and dark sort of atmosphere.  This is nothing new, photographers have been playing with color saturation levels for as long as there's been color photography.  Ever seen a film noir movie shot in color?

The stylized action scenes are nothing new either.  Just about all action scenes are heavily stylized these days.  If you expect perfectly accurate of fight scenes your expectations are too high.  We don't even know for sure what "real" combat looked like 2000 years ago. 

300 promises to be a really good movie.  It'll be one of the few movies this year that are likely to be worth the price of admission.  Keep an open mind and go enjoy it for what it is, not for what you think it should be.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 04:43:01 PM »
300 is coming to the big screen  300 the movie
For those that aren't familiar with this, it's Frank Millers graphic novel about the Battle of Thermopylea.

I'll be curious to see if the call to drop their arms is in there, along with their response "Molon Labe"(english pronuciation of course)

I'm seeing it on one REALLY big screen.  Something about seeing 300 suicidal Greeks carving up a Persian on a couple hundred feet across screen amuses me.  Reserved my IMAX tickets in advance.   

A Greek's been trying to get me to pronounce "Molon labe" correctly.  It's close to "mah lone lah vay"

As for lacking realism, it's a movie, not a documentary.  The visuals look interesting from the previews.  I liked Sin City, and understand it's not for everyone.  I have enough realism every day.  I watch movies for enjoyment and entertainment.  I sincerely doubt people would want to see "realistic" films of ancient battles, as real gore and disease do not make very entertaining films. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 06:12:29 PM »
looks like a great movie, I cant wait to see it.
I didn't see "Departed" and will not see "shooter"
because it has that creep marky mark in it.
I am willing to shell out money to see a film without preachy
celebretards getting my dough.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »
I watched the trailer.
Looks to be the best movie ever made.
The one liner at the end ruined the mood for me though.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:56:09 PM »
heck, I bought the hardbound book for "the 300" years ago

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »
it is based off a graphic novel (fancy comic book) done by the same guy that made 'Sin City'. It is not supposed to be realistic, it is a heavily stylised take on historical events.
The "Spider Man" movies were based on comic books, as were the Superman movies and others. Often the dialog, acting, etc., was lacking, but the visual imagery was pretty decent.

Making a visual turd and calling it "a heavily stylised take" doesn't change the substance, it remains a visual turd. (Of course, I feel the same way about some of the "hip" TV shows where they insisting on tilting the camera from side to side.)

The story and acting will have to be awesomely good to make up for bad visuals.

Visual turd or not, you are not quite getting it. They are supposed to look like that. Maybe the recent Spiderman/Batman films have been conventionally brought to the big screen, but this is not the case with Frank Miller based movies.

Movies based on his works are practically carbon copies, Sin City was, and so will this be. Sin City did very well in it's format, and this probably will too.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:08 AM »
The one liner at the end ruined the mood for me though.

What was that?

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »
We're in for one wild night . . .

Is that the one?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 03:32:50 PM »
We're in for one wild night . . .

Is that the one?

True, I did prefer Leonidas screaming "This is Sparta" while kicking the Persian envoy of Xerxes into a pit.  It wasn't technically accurate, tho.  Athenians threw their Persian envoy into a pit, and the Spartans threw their Persian envoy into a well, proclaiming "Dig yourself out."  Same sentiment, I suppose.   

angel

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.