Author Topic: Mother Jones article on the OathKeepers  (Read 3724 times)

CypherNinja

• friend
Mother Jones article on the OathKeepers
« on: March 01, 2010, 01:33:27 AM »
Ohhhhhh boy......

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/03/oath-keepers

It's the cover article for this month.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Mother Jones article on the OathKeepers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »
No good can come of this.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:00:35 AM »
Is this group just nuts or a good group?  The article is slanted to make it out that the Oath Keepers are
nut jobs. The same media slants stories the same way about the Tea Parties.

If this group is legit, and really is meaningful in preparing for something, I see nothing wrong. I
just don't have enough info to make a judgement either
way.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:39:13 AM »
Are there any people capable of independent thought who actually read Mother Jones?

This article is nothing but leftist extremist propaganda.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »
Is this talking about the Promise Keepers or is this a different group entirely?

Yeah, the article starts off like it is talking about some sort of anti-govt Militia group (or "patriot" organization). 

The guy does show good trigger discipline in the picture. :)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
Are there any people capable of independent thought who actually read Mother Jones?

Anyone I've known who actually bought Mother Jones didn't read it but just looked at the pictures, much like those who buy Playboy. The reason was that the latter were merely horny, while the former were stoned.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
I'm betting that Pvt Pray will be getting another Art 15 soon and/or chaptered out of the Army.  If he's non-deployable,it's probably for both physical and mental reasons, so he's a marginal soldier at best. 

Nice job on MJ's part to find a oathkeeper who's also a Truther and Birther so he's on the very fringe of the right to present Oathkeepers as even fringier (if that's a word).

I think the words I'm looking for is "Hit Piece".  Shocking, tha MJ woud print something like that..... :O 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »
I don't know much about the group, but saw one of their representatives on the O'Reilly Factor and have to say he handled himself well, including when O'Reilly was trying to make him out to be a nut job because the Oathkeeper rep said the authorities had no right to confiscate weapons from homes during Katrina.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:11:26 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
Is this group just nuts or a good group?  The article is slanted to make it out that the Oath Keepers are
nut jobs. The same media slants stories the same way about the Tea Parties.

If this group is legit, and really is meaningful in preparing for something, I see nothing wrong. I
just don't have enough info to make a judgement either
way.

Some are just concerned soldiers, some are nuts with a political agenda.  The guy in the article sounds like the latter, unless the article is a total fabrication.  (Not that he is unique, there are plenty of people left, right and center with heads full of conspiracy theories)

If they limit themselves to http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2009/03/03/declaration-of-orders-we-will-not-obey/ then I really don't have a problem with it.  Sounds fairly noble actually, just a list of things that no-one should be asking them to do anyway.  The problem is when it gets politicized.  Keep it apolitical.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 12:38:40 PM »
Hrrm.  Well, the groups goals/talking points sound great, but the comments section seems to be more about wiping out the government when Obama inevitably imposes martial law than resisting unlawful orders.   =|

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
The real point is that like the tea parties this is about something the Left is mortally afraid of.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »
The real point is that like the tea parties this is about something the Left is mortally afraid of.

I'm not afraid of the stated goals of the group.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »
Nor I, but the Left is.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »
Nor I, but the Left is.

Lol, I *am* left!

That is all I am saying, I would seperate the group from the guy in the article, because he takes it far beyond their written mission statement.  They specifically say they are apolitical and their only goal is to make a pledge against certain orders.  It all looks great, even to a 'leftist' like me.  I don't know any of my 'leftist' friends who would have any problem with the written goals either.  It just looks like common sense...all they are saying is they won't break the oath they swore to uphold the Constitution....really it shouldn't even need to be said.

But the guy in the article is a can short of a six pack, and it is unfortunate he got attached to the oathkeepers group in the article because it makes them look bad.  From reading their website they don't seem to be pushing the survivalist/conspiracy theorist plot line like he is.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »
Lol, I *am* left!

Left you may be, but you're not trying to tell us that the least common denominator defines the group, like this guy is.  You debate the issue like reasonable people do.

What longeyes is saying is that a good deal of attention has been focused, by the left-leaning media, on these buttholes who ruin it for the rest of us.  Who's giving all the attention to the "truthers"?  Not Redstate.  Who's making a big deal of "birthers"?  Not Fox.  No, these fools are being paraded out by MSNBC and CNN(and smaller, unabashedly slanted outlets like Mother Jones) because they make those to whom the fools attach themselves look ridiculous.

That is all I am saying, I would seperate the group from the guy in the article, because he takes it far beyond their written mission statement.  They specifically say they are apolitical and their only goal is to make a pledge against certain orders.  It all looks great, even to a 'leftist' like me.  I don't know any of my 'leftist' friends who would have any problem with the written goals either.  It just looks like common sense...all they are saying is they won't break the oath they swore to uphold the Constitution....really it shouldn't even need to be said.

But the guy in the article is a can short of a six pack, and it is unfortunate he got attached to the oathkeepers group in the article because it makes them look bad.  From reading their website they don't seem to be pushing the survivalist/conspiracy theorist plot line like he is.

Again, it's obvious to you because you read the article and came to your own conclusions.  Their purpose is clearly to smear the group and its organizers by taking advantage of a very willing subject(who, though I thank him for his military service, is not helping the cause of the group he supports).  Sadly, there are many who would take the piece at face value and write off the whole project as some right-wing looniness.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »
That is true, I just try to point out that not everyone on the 'left' is a knee-jerk reactionary, just like I don't assume everyone on the 'right' is either.

As far as media though, regardless of perceived bias (No-one agrees on who is unbiased, I listen to NPR and find it fairly free from bias, but plenty of people think not, etc. so I imagine that means everyone is biased), journalism is about sensationalism, and who wants to read a a sad article about a confused conspiracy theorist?  Much better to an write about a shadow organization bent on world domination and government overthrow through violent and unstable members, one of whom might be living next door!!!

I imagine the irony of the situation is lost on most readers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
mellestad,

To ascribe attributes to "the Left," or any other ideological group, is not to say that each and every member of the group meets all of the said criteria.  Tis a generalization.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife