Author Topic: Stopping the rise of the oceans due to globular wormering climactic change  (Read 3707 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/009740.html

Could we build a a large fleet of nuclear power plants to desalinate water and pump it several hundred miles inland? Picture massive amounts of water pumped to the head waters of the Missouri river and rivers that flow into it such as the Milk, Yellowstone, North Platte, and South Platt? Then also pump massive quantities to the head waters of the Columbia, Spokane, Colorado, and Arkansas? Also to the inland valleys of California?

Suck that rising seawater up, desalinate it, and pump it back up the riverbeds to dump it at/near the source point where it will travel back down to the sea and re-dilute the sea.

But do the Greens realize that they are proposing scads of nukyewlar power plants to pull this off?  :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Andiron

• friend
What do you expect from the same people whose economic sense approves of dipping buckets into the deep end of a pool and dumping it in the shallow end, to make the shallow end deeper?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
We should hire the Koch brothers to build all of the pipelines for pumping that water inland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
I'm surprised they don't suggest hydroelectric dams for the power, that way the whole thing can power itself.  ;/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
What do you expect from the same people whose economic sense approves of dipping buckets into the deep end of a pool and dumping it in the shallow end, to make the shallow end deeper?

What you did there I see.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
"We should hire the Koch brothers to build all of the pipelines for pumping that water inland."

Nah, pipelines are anathema right now.  Have to use rail cars and tank trucks.

Either that, or instead of condensing the steam generated during the distillation process, just vent it to the air and blow it inland with giant fans:

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:15:38 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
liberal nutters and commies with an agenda, have given climate change and green energy a bad rap.    :O

griz

• friend
"We should hire the Koch brothers to build all of the pipelines for pumping that water inland."

Either that, or instead of condensing the steam generated during the distillation process, just vent it to the air and blow it inland with giant fans:

That's a good idea.  Plus the fans would cool down the planet, thus counteracting global warming.  We'll have to be careful not to cool it too much or we will have glaciers in Chicago.  Win/Win.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Hmmm, I found this comment interesting:

Whoever made the odds calculations has no background in climate science. Hotter environment is associated with wetter environments. The Holocene climatic optimum was warmer than it is now and had a wet North Africa. If the world continues to warm the odds of this draught drop. If it cools then the odds go up.
For you a thought experiment; what if we used a fleet of nuclear plants to send very large amounts of steam/water vapor into the atmosphere off the west coast? Where would that precipitate out? How much would that warm the planet?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'

True story: a friend of mine and his wife were driving over Altamont Pass a while back.  Friend's wife notices the wind farm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Pass_Wind_Farm) and asks "What are those?"  Without missing a beat, he replies, "Oh those are cooling fans.  When it gets too hot in the Central Valley, they turn them on to cool it off."

Had her going for a moment.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Hawkmoon

• friend

Referring to the gene pool, perhaps?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
Dig canals to places like Death Valley and the Qattara Depression and flood them with ocean water to bring the level down. Or better yet, use wind farms to run desalination plants to fill these places with fresh water and create lakes.

Don't listen to the deniers who start talking about power requirements or the sheer volume of earth to be moved or water to be pumped - they're just being negative.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends

I like the way you think. Those fans can be powered by windmills. On days that that there is no wind the fans can be run off of Prius batteries which  are made of rare earth elements dug from chinese mines by children- its ok as long as all of the global warming and pollution stays on the chinese side of the globe.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
Dig canals to places like Death Valley and the Qattara Depression and flood them with ocean water to bring the level down. Or better yet, use wind farms to run desalination plants to fill these places with fresh water and create lakes.

Don't listen to the deniers who start talking about power requirements or the sheer volume of earth to be moved or water to be pumped - they're just being negative.  ;)
For Death Valley, just put in the pipeline.  Don't even need pumps if you don't mind a salty lake. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
For Death Valley, just put in the pipeline.  Don't even need pumps if you don't mind a salty lake. 
A canal would be a navigable waterway, making it fall under the jurisdiction of additional Federal agencies from the EPA to the Corps of Engineers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
I believe there is a difference in sea level height across the Panama Canal and Suez Canal.  Just open a canal from the Pacific side of the Panama Canal directly to the Atlantic side.  Same at the Suez.  Then all the high water can run through to the other side.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
I believe there is a difference in sea level height across the Panama Canal and Suez Canal.  Just open a canal from the Pacific side of the Panama Canal directly to the Atlantic side.  Same at the Suez.  Then all the high water can run through to the other side.   =D
No level difference, no need for locks.

Hmmm . . . now, if they open all the locks at the same time, and put in hydroelectric turbines . . .

MechAg94

• friend
The sea level at the Pacific side is about 20 cm (8 in) higher than that of the Atlantic side due to differences in ocean conditions such as water densities and weather.[69]
I think the Panama canal passes ships through a lake or two that are 30 or 50 feet above sea level. 

Did not know this about the Suez Canal.
The canal has no locks because of the flat terrain, and the minor sea level difference between each end is inconsequential for shipping.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I think the Panama canal passes ships through a lake or two that are 30 or 50 feet above sea level. 

Did not know this about the Suez Canal.

Correct you are. It passes through Gatun Lake which comprises about 33km of the passage.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G