Author Topic: Defiance of Gun Laws  (Read 1416 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Defiance of Gun Laws
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »
http://reason.com/archives/2012/12/22/gun-restrictions-have-always-bred-defian

Interesting article on civil disobedience of onerous gun laws.

Do like the rest of the world:

NO COMPROMISE!!

DISOBEY!! =D
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

dogmush

• friend
Re: Defiance of Gun Laws
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:50:44 AM »
Money quote:

Prohibiting possession would require disarming the citizenry; whether done quickly or over a long period, it would be a monumental challenge, fraught with danger. Millions of citizens would not surrender their handguns. If black market activity in connection with the drug laws is any indication, a decades-long “war on handguns” might resemble a low-grade civil war more than a law-enforcement initiative.
Low-grade civil war?

Hmmm. Maybe that AK-47 I bought was a wiser purchase than I anticipated.

I just wish the idiots passing laws would catch on to this, then we could move on to actually trying to solve the problems.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
I just wish the idiots passing laws would catch on to this,

I'm not so sure "they" haven't caught on. When the tinfoil slips a little I get to wondering if the "idiots" don't actually want a low-grade civil war. Depending on how you look at it the so called war on drugs is already something of a low grade civil war.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
I'm not so sure "they" haven't caught on. When the tinfoil slips a little I get to wondering if the "idiots" don't actually want a low-grade civil war. Depending on how you look at it the so called war on drugs is already something of a low grade civil war.

I've been considering that myself.

A low grade civil war would be an excellent justification for bigger and better power grabs.  Don't underestimate the political capitol to be had from a domestic crisis.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
I've been considering that myself.

A low grade civil war would be an excellent justification for bigger and better power grabs.  Don't underestimate the political capitol to be had from a domestic crisis.

Meh, I dunno. The War on Drugs is beneficial to criminals, same as Prohibition. Same with most other Wars on Nouns. War on Terror is mostly profitable to defense contractors. Some scumbag countries have made some money off the process, though. 

War on Guns would not be profitable to US gun manufacturers. Maybe PRC or Russian gun manufacturers whose products will now compete on the US black market. So... No profit is pushing it domestically. And difference between Wars on Most Nouns and a War on Guns, is that politicians at all levels would be targeted. By either or both sides. I'm not advocating this. It would be costly in money, lives and liberties. I'm merely stating that in a modern Civil War (even low grade one), politicians would be targeted. More than a few Iraqi or Afghani politicians got plastered.

Hence, I don't see intentionally starting a low grade civil war to be a high priority of the political classes. Maybe by middle and senior bureaucratic ranks primarily interested in empire building.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »
Meh, I dunno. The War on Drugs is beneficial to criminals, same as Prohibition. Same with most other Wars on Nouns. War on Terror is mostly profitable to defense contractors. Some scumbag countries have made some money off the process, though. 

War on Guns would not be profitable to US gun manufacturers. Maybe PRC or Russian gun manufacturers whose products will now compete on the US black market. So... No profit is pushing it domestically. And difference between Wars on Most Nouns and a War on Guns, is that politicians at all levels would be targeted. By either or both sides. I'm not advocating this. It would be costly in money, lives and liberties. I'm merely stating that in a modern Civil War (even low grade one), politicians would be targeted. More than a few Iraqi or Afghani politicians got plastered.

Hence, I don't see intentionally starting a low grade civil war to be a high priority of the political classes. Maybe by middle and senior bureaucratic ranks primarily interested in empire building.

Many on the left emote rather than logically think things through like you did, Rev.  To see them generate an exploitable crisis without allowing for possible unintended consequences such as you listed is something that would not surprise me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.