Author Topic: Does the US need international intervention due to the massive gun violence?  (Read 2257 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Apparently, this guy does...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/21/american-gun-out-control-porter

Can't follow his logic, but then again, he doesn't apparently view Americans as logical humans, so maybe I can't get it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Send 'em in. Do it Do it Do it!!!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Rly?  Wanna watch 'Muricans get united behind something, we'll go from 80 million gun owners to 200 million gun owners in less than a year.  With lots of blue hats on the ground.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Meh.  What's the UN good at? They can't even hand out food in shitholistan without warlords jacking the shipments.  They're a wholly ineffective organization without OUR boots.
Some random columnist in a liberal handwringing euro rag does not a UN invasion make.

I'll save my outrage for something more deserving.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
Dear Mr. Porter:

I'd be much more afraid (and disgusted) to live in a place where a man gets hacked to death with a machete, and people stand by taking pictures until the clean up crew arrives to sweep the street. I carry a gun not because I am afraid, but so that I don't have to be, a distinction you will never comprehend. Until you do, stop advocating to have some poor sod other than yourself come take my guns, you effete hypocrite.

Sincerely, FOAD,

Me
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Meh.  What's the UN good at? They can't even hand out food in shitholistan without warlords jacking the shipments.  They're a wholly ineffective organization without OUR boots.
Some random columnist in a liberal handwringing euro rag does not a UN invasion make.

I'll save my outrage for something more deserving.

Ayup. Some 'tard in a newspaper being stupid, hardly worth notice.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Ayup. Some 'tard in a newspaper being stupid, hardly worth notice.

Made you guys notice.  :rofl:
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
But I didn't click the link so no traffic from me. ;)

I think this is actually becoming more of a thing these days, the intentionally outrageous piece designed solely as link bait via outrage trolling.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
*shrug*

They'd have no legal standing. And good luck on any President signing off on granting federal law enforcement rights to foreign nationals.

If that magically happened, I'd sit back and have a beer. I'd say 50/50 shot of the US military pulling an unofficial mutiny. Basically, the more lethal version of what Iraqi and Afghani forces have done to US troops.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dm1333

• friend
Wolverines!

In 2010 19,000 people used a gun to commit suicide and 11,000 or so committed homicides.  Maybe the UN ought to send traffic cops instead, there were 32,000 traffic fatalities that year and who knows how many people maimed?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Does the US need international intervention due to the massive gun violence?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
This is the UK version of the "Dying newspaper printing a CCW database"-gambit to try and drive traffic/attention.

More than ever I'm thinking the way to counter this is to ignore them in the macro or public space, and make their attitudes and beliefs as costly as possible in the local personal sphere.

I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Does the US need international intervention due to the massive gun violence?
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »
The more I thought about this plan, the more I chuckled.  UN SOP is to negotiate, then seek embargos.  What are they going to do? Stop shiping in and out ofthe US?  Think China is going to sign on to that one, and stop shipping products into the US?  Maybe they would stop exports, you know, food, medicine, etc.  Frnkly, that may be a huge plus for the US economy, as we start manufacturing everything, and buying American becomes the only option.  Oil and energy independence would occur out of necessity.  The Japanese woke a sleeping giant in WWII.  This would be worse...for the rest of the world.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »
That would be a great adventure.
 [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »
The more I thought about this plan, the more I chuckled.  UN SOP is to negotiate, then seek embargos.  What are they going to do? Stop shiping in and out ofthe US?  Think China is going to sign on to that one, and stop shipping products into the US?  Maybe they would stop exports, you know, food, medicine, etc.  Frnkly, that may be a huge plus for the US economy, as we start manufacturing everything, and buying American becomes the only option.  Oil and energy independence would occur out of necessity.  The Japanese woke a sleeping giant in WWII.  This would be worse...for the rest of the world.

They'll let us import oil, and plastic dog turds.

They won't allow us to import unenriched uranium for our power plants or nuclear programs, or rare earth elements for fancy electronics stuff.

ETA:  Of course, good luck putting an embargo on the Navy that has a dozen aircraft carriers and a bajillion subs.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!