Author Topic: So, why did Trump win the election?  (Read 22711 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
So, why did Trump win the election?
« on: November 09, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »
It's not even 9:30, and I'm already hearing discussion among politicians who frequent the floors of the courthouse I work in, discussing this issue.  How did Trump win?  By appearances, he shot himself in the proverbial foot a time or two, between some of his antics and that tape.  Yet, here we are on November 9 looking at the man preparing to have a seat in the big chair in the Oval Office.  So, how did it happen?  Some things I've heard so far, for your discussion and debate:

1.  The negative campaigning.  At least here in Ohio, there were very few ads for Clinton in which she said anything positive about herself, or what her plans were if elected.  People are tired of the negative, and it left a bad taste in their mouths.
2.  The FBI announcement of a renewed investigation of the email debacle.  Yes, it was wiped out in a couple of days, but it was a nice reminder of the mess she was trying to keep locked away.
3.  Tired of the status quo.  Voters were tired of having the same political insiders in power, and she's about as good a symbol of political insider as exists.  She climbed to power riding on her name and got a Senate seat.  She became SecState as a political favor, more or less.  She was the chosen one by the democrat big wigs, as demonstrated by the email releases showing that she was going to be the candidate, no matter what the popular vote did for Bernie.  I know from talking to some Dems that this pissed them off enough to get them to vote for Johnson/Weld.  That was enough to sway the tide here in Ohio.
4.  Voter apathy/action.  A lot of Dems in Ohio are saying that if more of their core had gotten out to vote, the state would have swung in Clinton's favor.  In other words, the big city and traditional Dem areas.  They didn't.  A lot cite to voter apathy.  At the same time, a lot of people on the other side of the fence, the "non-college educated white males" came out in force.  Smaller counties in Ohio saw near-record turn out, and they weren't driving down to the fire house to cast their votes for the woman who promised to shut down the coal mines and open the borders to refugees with a basket of benefits waiting for each one.
5.  Hubris.  When Hillary came to Ohio, she stuck to the big metro areas...Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati.  Places where Dems can still win a majority.  Small town, Ohio was ignored.  And, I think of this as a huge case of ego costing the Dems big time.  Yes, in Ohio, the population is larger in the metro areas.  But, Trump won 78 of 88 counties.  She won the big cities, but not by a large enough margin to make up for the ass-kicking she took in the rest of the state, which she ignored in her campaign.  The rural areas don't like politicians.  They don't like insiders.  They want someone who isn't a professional politician.  And, in choosing to ignore rural Ohio time and again, she only reinforced that image in the minds of these voters.  I spent some time driving around the state this fall, and I noticed how when you got 20 miles outside the outer belt of the big cities, the signs were significantly more Trump than Hillary.  She didn't do anything to counter that, and I believe her ego (and the ego of her supporters) led her to ignore the "non-college educated white male", thinking that carrying the big cities would be enough.  It wasn't.

Thoughts?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grampster

• friend
Re: So, why did Trump win the election?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
All of the above.  Add this:  The Democrat Party has swung way too far to the left and became an expert at dividing America up into factions and that has backfired.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
In a nutshell the as fractured and f'ed up the Republicans are, the Democrats are more so.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »
All of the above, but mostly 3 and 5.
I also think Pence brought votes to Trump, but Kaine did not bring any to Hillary.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
This was a direct result of the stomping on the TEA Party. People were frustrated and many who had never done so before got involved in politics, and were immediately decried as racists, fascists, etc... AND were set upon by the Federal Government. (The IRS is STILL subjecting them to unlawful delays, in addition to the previous criminal leaks of information.)

So, the people didn't get any LESS angry from that, they just lost "acceptable" outlets for that anger. Today, the "elites" have reaped the whirlwind.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
Today, the "elites" have reaped the whirlwind.

Not yet, I don't think.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
Not yet, I don't think.

Good point. They ought to be happy that THIS was the revolt and not THIS.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 11:07:24 AM »
This was a direct result of the stomping on the TEA Party. People were frustrated and many who had never done so before got involved in politics, and were immediately decried as racists, fascists, etc...

...or the people, like me, that really just want to be left alone, being constantly dehumanized and ridiculed.

I really wanted to write-in for SMOD, but just being a white middle class male was starting to feel a bit like a German Jew in the early '30s.

Its too bad we didn't have a Cruz/Rubio/Walker to choose from.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »
I think there were, as Rush and others suggested, people who had never voted before showing up. The talking heads on the MSM networks were saying that the surge in voters was probably Hispanics voting against Trump, but I think it was those never-voted-before folks. Where there were surges in voters, I also think those included Hispanics who oppose illegal immigration.

In the end, I think that even many Democrats just couldn't stomach Hillary's crimes, and the prospect of unending investigations.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »
I don't think I'm the only one who watched the SNL election special on... what was, CNN?  Not on Saturday night, but in prime time on another network on Monday.  Trump was the butt of *every* joke, and whenever anything negative about Clinton was brought up, it was winked at.  If it had been even a little bit balanced it might have been funny, but it just pissed me off and maybe others as well.  Made me more determined to go cast a "No, *expletive deleted*ck YOU!" vote.  I was going to vote anyway, but maybe others were on the fence but felt the same as I did.

I was an election worker.  In my precinct, it was a virtual tie; I think Clinton got 311 votes and Trump got something a little less than that but over 300.  And that doesn't include the 30% of the votes that were cast absentee.  But I'm in a Republican stronghold in this state; last I checked, they still haven't called Minnesota yet.  I'm astonished by that; I was sure it would go to Clinton.

In the end, I think that even many Democrats just couldn't stomach Hillary's crimes, and the prospect of unending investigations.
That describes my wife.  When people ask her who she voted for, she just says she caucused for Bernie Sanders.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 11:27:14 AM »
I think #2 had a big effect on undecided voters and some of the Anti-Trump crowd. For a week or so everyone was reminded of all the evil crap that Clinton and her associates have been doing for years. 

As far as the people who have never voted, I think Trump helped himself, but continuing to fight back at the media and others and never apologizing for being himself.  Yeah, he stepped in it and put his foot in his mouth, but he just kept going.  Other Republicans would have apologized and bowed and scraped to the media for forgiveness.  Trump was seen as a fighter who wouldn't give up when the media attacked him.

On top of that, people see Trump as an outsider who is not tied in with the Republican elite.  The Establishment Republicans backed that view up by doing their best to sabotage him. 

I wonder if this will teach a less to some future politicians that misspeaking on TV is not the end of the world.  How they respond is what people are looking to see.  No one wants to their guy backing down and giving up the fight because someone was offended.  They are tired of that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
Its too bad we didn't have a Cruz/Rubio/Walker to choose from.

The Democratic machine would have crushed any of them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 11:37:34 AM »
But I'm in a Republican stronghold in this state; last I checked, they still haven't called Minnesota yet.  I'm astonished by that; I was sure it would go to Clinton.

Apparently it did at some point.  Figures.  Even Mondale took Minnesota.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »
Apparently it did at some point.  Figures.  Even Mondale took Minnesota.

Interesting.  I just looked at the map; I thought Olmsted County would be one of the few red counties.  In fact, it is one of the very few blue ones.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:03:41 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
I think there were, as Rush and others suggested, people who had never voted before showing up. The talking heads on the MSM networks were saying that the surge in voters was probably Hispanics voting against Trump, but I think it was those never-voted-before folks. Where there were surges in voters, I also think those included Hispanics who oppose illegal immigration.

I think you are right on that.  One of my friends from high school posted that her dad, who had never voted before, had registered and voted for Trump.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »
All centers of power (government, finance, media) have COMPLETELY *expletive deleted*ed the American people.

The American people threw a human molotov cocktail back at them.

Peaceful revolution FTW.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
Maybe in the next election cycle we can get more "everyday" Americans to step forward and run.

Maybe they can see that speaking your mind is actually a good thing and telling people to go f themselves can be the right answer sometimes.

No matter what, the next 4 years are going to be interesting.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
I don't know who it was last night, but they pointed out that Trump's message resonated HEAVILY with lower middle class and blue collar Americans in a way that a political message hasn't since the Reagan years, and those people turned out in droves and SWAMPED Clinton and general pundit predictions while Clinton failed to tap into the base that Obama was able to rally.

IOW, she failed to get out large elements of the core Democratic base, while Trump energized his.

Last night is a pretty clear indication of just how screwed up the polling process has become, and how worthless it is.

I just about fell off my chair this morning when I saw that Pennsylvania went Trump. The ONLY way that can happen is if Hillary fails to get out the vote in Philly and Pittsburgh, and Trump rallies the base in the T-zone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »
Why did Trump win?

He is the candidate of the all but in name only, "Tea Party".  While flawed and imperfect his message resonated with those (former) Tea Partiers.  He also presented concrete solutions to problems and issues facing the country.  Immigration, Tax cuts, Reducing the grip of DC on the rest of the country, etc.

Plus as a successful businessman, they look to someone with experience leading and running business to do that in government.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »
Because of America's racist underbelly.

Oh, wait . . .

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/09/sorry-uncovering-americas-racist-underbelly-wasnt-why-trump-won-commentary.html

The largest single economic group in our country has been sold out and ignored by the leaders of both parties for more than a generation. They are the hourly wage-earning Americans who have been bounced around from good manufacturing jobs, to service jobs, to seasonal work without the rest of us noticing that much. And that's even though there are a lot more of them than the college-educated white collar office workers out there. You know the financial uncertainty you felt last night when you saw the Dow futures crash down by 750 points? That's the kind of emotion millions of your fellow Americans have been feeling every night for years even though they're not "poor" or even necessarily unemployed.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »
he won because the clinton campaign made average Americans, black, white, hispanic, so angry, that they finally went to the polls.  Trump was able to unite the GOP base, as McCain and Romney could not do.l  
The polls were wrong all along, because of the bias of those doing the polling.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:50:43 PM by scout26 »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
To analyse this in terms of Republican and democrat is a mistake.

Trump won because he spoke plain, common sense policies straight to voters.  By doing so he united a base that crossed party and other social lines.

It is a triumph of common sense over the tortured rhetoric of billionaires trying to preserve the system that enriches them.  No other candidate in my lifetime has been so frank about what the problems with government are, and what basic solutions he might offer. 

The press and the "experts" did their best at telling America who to vote for, but failed.  They were up against someone with more media savvy than them.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."