Author Topic: So, why did Trump win the election?  (Read 22714 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2016, 05:35:04 AM »
I woukd not have guessed he woukd pull as much of the black vote as he did. And I have never understood Asians voting democrat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's because you're thinking race and gender, when this election was all about pay
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re:
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 07:07:05 AM »
I woukd not have guessed he woukd pull as much of the black vote as he did. And I have never understood Asians voting democrat

My wife saw a billboard reading "Missouri Chinese-Americans for Trump."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
Re: So, why did Trump win the election?
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »

"Than they," you uneducated Trump supporter.  ;)

Thou needs learnest thy communication
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
Re:
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2016, 11:36:04 AM »
Not all Asians - one of my best friends is a natural born American of Cantonese ancestry, and he's every bit as conservative as I am.

What I really find puzzling is the number of Jews who support civilian disarmament, JPFO notwithstanding.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »
How did Trump win?

I was going to come in here and be smartass - say that he won by getting the most votes...
 =|
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2016, 12:19:43 PM »
I was going to come in here and be smartass - say that he won by getting the most votes...
 =|

Yeah, but 200,000 is easily dead people in Chicago and illegal aliens in CA. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »

https://youtu.be/V6s7jB6-GoU
This will educate you as to why we have the voting system we have. It is a brilliant system and makes perfect sense, it's just not taught in schools or commonly understood by the ignorant masses who believe we live in a Democracy when we, in fact, live in a Representative Republic!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
It is a brilliant system and makes perfect sense, it's just not taught in schools or commonly understood by the ignorant masses who believe we live in a Democracy when we, in fact, live in a Representative Republic!

The Representative Republic part - sure that's a good system.  But the Electoral college?  I'm not convinced.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re:
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »
Not all Asians - one of my best friends is a natural born American of Cantonese ancestry, and he's every bit as conservative as I am.

One of the most anti-Trump guys on APS is Asian-American.  =)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2016, 01:04:49 PM »
Did you watch and understand the video?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2016, 01:12:54 PM »
Did you watch and understand the video?

Yes. We could elect the president via popular vote and still have 3 branches of government,  elected representatives,  and remain a Representative Republic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
The 2016 election is the best explanation for why we don't elect presidents through a simple, democratic vote.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2016, 01:21:18 PM »
The 2016 election is the best explanation for why we don't elect presidents through a simple, democratic vote.

I get that people are happy how it worked out this time, doesn't mean it's a good system.  Likewise,  no one seems to care about voter fraud or rigged elections anymore now that it worked out OK.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
Yes. We could elect the president via popular vote and still have 3 branches of government,  elected representatives,  and remain a Representative Republic.

Because then the candidates would cater to the big population centers to get the most votes and ignore the rest of the country.  Do you really want San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and Miami to have more power than all of the midwestern states?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
Because then the candidates would cater to the big population centers to get the most votes and ignore the rest of the country.  Do you really want San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and Miami to have more power than all of the midwestern states?

But with the Electoral college they just overpower the rest of the state they are in. It's the same problem it just happens in every state individually instead of nationally.  I don't see how that's any better.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
I get that people are happy how it worked out this time, doesn't mean it's a good system. 

It's slapped down, what, 5 Democratic candidates thus far? Why mess with something that works so well?

Likewise,  no one seems to care about voter fraud or rigged elections anymore now that it worked out OK.

Even Democrats know Republicans can't get away with that.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
So, why did Trump win the election?

Because the wily old wizard was able to enchant more Americans than the Lizard Queen was able to deceive.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
I haven't watched that video but one of the best things about the electoral college is it decentralizes the election process to each of the 50 states and even lower to the congressional district level (for electoral count).  California could have 30 million illegals voting and they only affect the winner of the electors for California.  Any cheating has to be nationwide involving a lot more people, not just one or two states.  In addition, you know damn well that if we just added up vote totals nationally, someone would want to increase efficiency and have every vote totaled to a national election computer that would conveniently crash on election night and come back up with more votes for whoever controlled the computer.  It may not be the original purpose of the electoral college, but it does provide benefits. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
Any cheating has to be nationwide involving a lot more people, not just one or two states... It may not be the original purpose of the electoral college, but it does provide benefits. 

This was the only argument I found compelling at all. Cheating in an already blue state doesn't really matter. However in accepting this argument you have to admit that voting at all in an already blue state doesn't really matter. That bothers me - not to mention cheating needs to be dealt with regardless of impact.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2016, 02:52:26 PM »
Two wolves and a sheep voting for what's for dinner.

Think about it, Dittohead.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »
Two wolves and a sheep voting for what's for dinner.

It's not the electoral college that protects us from that. It's decentralized power, different branches of government with different powers, states rights, elected representatives, the constitution, etc. We can have still have all of that if we directly elected the president. Getting a bare majority of the popular vote is no more prone to tyranny than getting a bare majority of the electoral votes. It's still ONE person being elected by getting the most votes - the only difference is that the electoral college adds a layer of abstraction which results in some peoples votes counting more than others. Even just switching to proportional allocation of electors instead of winner take all would be an improvement.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
It's not the electoral college that protects us from that. It's decentralized power, different branches of government with different powers, states rights, elected representatives, the constitution, etc. We can have still have all of that if we directly elected the president. Getting a bare majority of the popular vote is no more prone to tyranny than getting a bare majority of the electoral votes. It's still ONE person being elected by getting the most votes - the only difference is that the electoral college adds a layer of abstraction which results in some peoples votes counting more than others. Even just switching to proportional allocation of electors instead of winner take all would be an improvement.

Wolves = Urban population centers

Sheep = Rural/agricultural areas with smaller populations.

The wolves and the sheep have very different ways of life. Different standards of living, different needs and different values. The urban population centers, even the ones on different coasts are going to have more in common with each other than they will with the rural/agricultural areas and the same with the rural/agricultural areas.

In a popular vote, the urban areas will end up with more representation. That representation will priorities their needs. The urban areas are going to be more likely to vote for the same things and things that the rural/agricultural areas don't want, need or even things they won't tolerate.

And just so you can understand how far back this goes, 10 years before the Civil War, if you asked the average American in what direction the country would split should there be some kind of conflict, the answer would have been East (settled/urban) and West (frontier/rural) not north and south.  
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
In a popular vote, the urban areas will end up with more representation.
What you're talking about works great for congress where we elect a bunch of representatives and they fight over legislation. It gives us representatives of rural areas and urban areas. In the senate it gives smaller states equal footing with larger states. I get that.

For president we're voting on one person. If we used the popular vote, 1 person = 1 vote regardless of where they live, that would make it even. The electoral college makes it uneven by allocating electors to states and then giving ALL of those electors to whoever get's 50.1% in that state. How can you argue that system creates a more even representation than a simple 1:1 voting system ???

I've read plenty of arguments for the electoral college, but I just don't see it as necessary or even good. I don't think it has the positive effects that proponents claim. I mean, thank goodness for the electoral college - it really made Obama moderate his views to appeal to a broad coalition. And he HAD to reach out to me as a religion & gun clinger in fly-over country to earn every vote ;/ It worked to our advantage this time but it can work against us in the future.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2016, 04:49:58 PM »
The electoral college is good because in case of a tie, it limits the scope of the recounts.  Imagine Florida 2000 on a national scale.  [tinfoil]  16 years later and they would still be counting chads because you would have to recount every ballot in the USA, and then the recounts would be challenged, and every time you recount you'll come up with a different number because of unavoidable errors.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
I've read plenty of arguments for the electoral college, but I just don't see it as necessary or even good. I don't think it has the positive effects that proponents claim.

What part of Hillary Clinton getting shut out, shut down, and shut up isn't a positive effect?  ???   :O

But, but, but, it worked out this one time! What about the other times?! As I said; every time it's contradicted the popular vote, it has kept Democrats out of office. It kept Al Gore, et al, out of office. Those are all the positive effects you could possibly need.