Author Topic: Anyone shocked by this?  (Read 2067 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Anyone shocked by this?
« on: May 04, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/dem-congressman-force-gun-owners-sell-assault-weapons-n871066

Democrat congressman from (gasp!) California writes OpEd calling for not another version of an AWB, but a mandated buyback, followed by criminalization of possession.  In other words, he's pushing the Australian model.  He proposes paying $1,000 for each weapon, which he estimated would cost $15 billion.  After the buyback, possession of a prohibited weapon would be a federal crime.

Setting aside the 2A issue for a second, am I missing something?  Where is there $15 billion laying around in the Federal budget for something like this?  Or is this just another example of a federal legislator throwing around dollars like confetti.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Anyone shocked by this?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
It's the federal government. They print money -- no problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
Setting aside the 2A issue for a second, am I missing something?  Where is there $15 billion laying around in the Federal budget for something like this?  Or is this just another example of a federal legislator throwing around dollars like confetti.

If it saves one life, though, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 10:46:04 AM »
Hey,  Eric Swalwell;

MOLON LABE!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
He proposes paying $1,000 for each weapon, which he estimated would cost $15 billion.

Just imagine; if anyone really thought he had a snowball's chance in hell of passing this, it would be incredibly hard to beg, borrow or buy time on any press brake in the country as people rushed to crank out the cheapest "assault weapons" they possibly could, knowing that even a barely functional (assuming they even try dry firing it)  STEN or IO MP2 knockoff would be worth $1k.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
The flip side is the folks with several $2k-$3k Daniel defense AR's, SCARS, AUGs and the like would be mad as hell, and probably a little sue happy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 06:04:03 PM »
The flip side is the folks with several $2k-$3k Daniel defense AR's, SCARS, AUGs and the like would be mad as hell, and probably a little sue happy.

Be happy for the ones that ONLY sue.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
This guy can go <BLEEP> himself with a rusty running chainsaw, sideways.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 01:50:44 PM »
Eric Swalwell....  Going on the list of "enemies that have made their position on the Bill of Rights perfectly clear"...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 02:05:06 PM »
Yawn. Weinstein said essentially the same decades ago, just acknowledged the political impossibility. The desire and intent was there. Anyone shocked by this is a heavy sleeper.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
So this guy was interviewed by NBC. If it wasn't another shining example of these idiots wanting to ban things they have zero understanding of, it would be comical:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/questions-answers-lawmaker-who-wants-your-assault-weapons-n871531

Best line: Because he's a prosecutor, he's an expert and knows for a fact that the pistol grip is what makes the "assault weapon" so deadly compared to any other gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 05:11:17 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/dem-congressman-force-gun-owners-sell-assault-weapons-n871066

Democrat congressman from (gasp!) California writes OpEd calling for not another version of an AWB, but a mandated buyback, followed by criminalization of possession.  In other words, he's pushing the Australian model.  He proposes paying $1,000 for each weapon, which he estimated would cost $15 billion.  After the buyback, possession of a prohibited weapon would be a federal crime.

$15 billion for my AR's would be tempting.  Is that each or just a single payment?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 11:50:37 PM »
So this guy was interviewed by NBC. If it wasn't another shining example of these idiots wanting to ban things they have zero understanding of, it would be comical:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/questions-answers-lawmaker-who-wants-your-assault-weapons-n871531

Best line: Because he's a prosecutor, he's an expert and knows for a fact that the pistol grip is what makes the "assault weapon" so deadly compared to any other gun.

I was fascinated to learn that being shot in the thigh with a normal bullet is perfectly safe. Only assault bullets can magically pierce the femoral artery.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 12:49:11 AM »
Yawn. Weinstein said essentially the same decades ago, just acknowledged the political impossibility. The desire and intent was there. Anyone shocked by this is a heavy sleeper.

Did  you mean "Feinstein?"

https://youtu.be/ffI-tWh37UY
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 01:08:11 AM »
"I don't accept the premise that assault weapons are covered by the Second Amendment."

I stopped listening right there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
"I don't accept the premise that assault weapons are covered by the Second Amendment."
"I don't accept the premise that YOUR FACE is covered by the Eighth Amendment."