Author Topic: Toyota Adro?  (Read 1077 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Toyota Adro?
« on: August 24, 2006, 04:36:27 AM »
Anyone ever see one before?  It looked like a 2dr Camry with some minor body molding.  It was quite nice looking (sporty without being "ricey").  I'm not sure if Adro is a model name or a "tuner" (like Saleen for Mustang).  Under the Adro nameplate on the side of the car, it said "Special Edition".  A quick google search didn't turn up anything useful.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Toyota Adro?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 04:56:38 AM »
i occasionally see non US cars in the DC metro area driven by diplomats

in Australia the Toyota Yarius was everywhere and i think they were a tad different than the US models
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mfree

• friend
Toyota Adro?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 06:06:38 AM »
I've never heard "Adro" before, might be a dealer tag.

Camry coupes have been "Solara"s for a long, long time.

==

Wait, side of the car? It's not Toyota's doing then, they don't nameplate on the gunwhales.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Toyota Adro?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 06:08:21 AM »
You see one and looking at getting it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Toyota Adro?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 06:17:27 AM »
Quote from: mfree
I've never heard "Adro" before, might be a dealer tag.
Camry coupes have been "Solara"s for a long, long time.
==
Wait, side of the car? It's not Toyota's doing then, they don't nameplate on the gunwhales.
Definately not a dealer tag.  It was in the middle of the trunk, just under the Toyota emblem.  The Adro tag that included "Special Edition" was on the front fender just in front of the doorjamb.  Not a Solara either, unless they completely reshaped the rear end (and aren't all Solaras convertables?  This was a hardtop).

I'm thinking "tuner car", but I've never heard of it.

You see one and looking at getting it?
I saw it on I66 on the way into work.  It had Florida tags.  I'm not looking to buy, just curious about it.  It also wasn't new, but looked like it had some miles on it.  I'd say that it appeared to be based on the previous generation Camry (what I have rather than the latest, '07, model).

Chris

mfree

• friend
Toyota Adro?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 10:28:54 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Solara
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry

Camry coupes were only offered from 94-96, otherwise it's a Solara.

"adro" comes up with squat everywhere I look for cars. It's a commune in Lombardy, Italy... a name for several advertising and miscellanous "paperwork" companies, a carport maker in Australia, and a provider of CAR INSURANCE. I bet that's what you've got on your hands... an insurance sticker.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Toyota Adro?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:44:25 AM »
"I bet that's what you've got on your hands... an insurance sticker."

I think he's just getting old and can't see anymore...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Toyota Adro?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:51:58 AM »
The overall shape and the shape of the rear end is more Fifth Gen Camry-like than Solara-like.  It looked like someone grafted the rear end and front end of a Camry to a Solara and added modest ground effects as well.  Except for having only 2drs, I'd say it was a 5th Gen Camry, but the only car of that size with 2drs is a Solara (but the rest of the car doesn't look like a Solara).  I poked around for a Solara body kit that looks like this, but found nothing even close.  The shape of the rear end is what keeps it from loooking like a Solar with a body kit.

This wasn't a sticker, it was a 3d nameplate.  The plate on the rear just said Adro, the plate on the side I saw said "Adro" with Special Edition underneat Adro.  It looked just like an automotive emblem, but a bit more ornate than what Toyota normally uses.

Other than the Adro plate, the only other marking on the car was the Toyota "T" on the trunk.

Chris