Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 715 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
What is it?
« on: October 22, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
Taken from here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1678259_Help_me_identify_this_thingummy_thats__probably__not_a_bomb___.html&page=1

On a plastic garbage can lid, black/yellow thing protruding from under the glass bulb-thing is just a screwdriver propping it up.

Close up of the bulb and it's mysterious binary chemical contents.

My WAG is that either an impact mixes the liquid and the powder, or maybe heat from the brass rod as some sort of probe pushes the liquid into the powder chamber creating a visible sign that "X has happened".

Like an emergency boiler indicator, or for smelting metals to know a certain temperature has been reached, before the advent of thermocouples and non-contact IR thermometers.

???
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »
Heat the silver-colored tip and tell us what happened.  [popcorn]

Might want to get someone to hold your beer while you do that.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
It's a standoff device for firefighters to safely detonate a pressurized container before a BLEVE can erupt.  The device is fired from a standard-issue 70# crossbow.  The Tannerite bulb detonates upon impact and allows the designated marksman to direct a more meaningful venting from the compromised container.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
It's a standoff device for firefighters to safely detonate a pressurized container before a BLEVE can erupt.  The device is fired from a standard-issue 70# crossbow.  The Tannerite bulb detonates upon impact and allows the designated marksman to direct a more meaningful venting from the compromised container.

Oooh, do tell more.!
Is it made to rupture a tank?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:22:34 PM »

I have one of those in .30-30  ;)    :lol:

I never heard of that tactic - maybe we need to add to the equipment list on our fire trucks  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:24:29 PM »
It worked great in laboratory and computer simulations.

=D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »
Cross bow! Might be a lil close if it goes boom more spectacularly.
The guy who designed it needs to try it first

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »
Cross bow! Might be a lil close if it goes boom more spectacularly.
The guy who designed it needs to try it first

Case in point: The Confederate submarine H. L. Hunley. Supposedly it successfully sank a Union ship. However, it didn't make it back afterward. One theory is that its "torpedo" was not fired, but was simply carried on a 16-foot spar and pushed into contact with the ship's hull before being detonated. Theory is that the blast also damaged the sub.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/14/travel/civil-war-submarine-hunley/index.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design