Author Topic: It's illegal to have large amounts of cash?  (Read 5929 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: It's illegal to have large amounts of cash?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 04:05:58 PM »
I was wearing a nice grey turtleneck, slim black leather dress coat and dress gloves. Someone at work has called that my "German assassin" look

I'd call it your metrosexual goth look.   cheesy

Bah. It also included a stainless Millenium Pro .45 carried small-of-back. Metrosexual goths are generally leftists who are terrified of guns and don't carry. Wink

Millenium Pro, eh.  Did it have the petty pink grips??  Huh? What?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 05:10:41 PM »
Manedwolf, that is hilarious.  Taking this a bit too hard, are we?  I'm sorry, but no gun, no matter how big, can make up for a turtleneck.  Besides, wasn't it concealed?   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »
MW:

Don't listen to them.  They're just jealous 'cause they couldn't pull off that look...especially the "slim" part*.

* Neither could I.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Regardless of your SNL "Sprockets" look, you got your money, right?

Now we dance!!! grin .....bad Euro disco background music please.

Are there any court precedents to look up in regards to this type of illegal seizure?  I'd be interested in some real data if it's out there.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:37 PM »
Remember, this is happening under the Bush administration.

It happened under the Clinton years also.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »
Didn't it start during the Clinton years?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »
Manedwolf:

"You may touch my monkey!"   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 05:15:54 AM »
Quote from: Rich Lucibella
Wanna bet?
Delaware. 1990. Man, without prior record, carrying $100K cash, stopped and sniffed. Money confiscated in a case styled, US Government v. One Hundred Thousand Dollars in US Currency. (They charge the property because it makes it more difficult for the owner to prove "standing" in court.)

The burden of proof was not on the government but the bearer. The money was "guilty until proven innocent". The bearer claimed he was headed to Western North Carolina in search of land deals. In Court he produced his money backer, complete with cash withdrawal history from legal bank accounts; a man who could document his income and who had an un-impeachable background. That backer was yours truly. The money was mine. It no longer is. In the end, the Judged decided that we had not sufficiently proven my ownership of my money.

True story.
Rich

Edited to remove language that wouldn't be tolerated on other forums, let alone this one. Who hands over $100k in cash to some guy to search for land deals in N.C.??  What moron is so inept as to allow the fact that he is carrying that much money to become known to anyone, much less LE?
It is no wonder the money was impounded.  The story is totally improbable, and I am sure there is just a bunch more we're not being told.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »
My father, who owns a trucking company, has witnessed people buying things like bulldozers and whatnot in cash, in amounts over 50,000.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »
My father, who owns a trucking company, has witnessed people buying things like bulldozers and whatnot in cash, in amounts over 50,000.

Obviously to work on their pot farms.  police
Lets not question the system, nothing to see here.

I'm skeptical as the mentioned true story seems like something talk radio if not the popular media would go wild with...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
Rabbi, are you familiar with Rich Lucibella?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »
One of these days, someone is going to hunt down the "seizers" and . . .

Never mind.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »

That probably is unusual but not unheard of.
But careening around the country with $100k in cash ostensibly to "buy property" strains credulity.  It is unheard of outside of the drug community.  The risks are enormous as the money can easily be lost or stolen (or confiscated).  THere are many far better ways to transport money.  I would have liked to hear the explanation as to why business was being done that way.  I'll bet it was a doozy.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »
As if careening around the country with "$50,000 for a bulldozer" is any more credible.

Not to say it isn't credible, but saying one is believable and one isn't, is indefensible.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 03:40:16 PM »
As if careening around the country with "$50,000 for a bulldozer" is any more credible.

Not to say it isn't credible, but saying one is believable and one isn't, is indefensible.

No one said anything about "careening around the country with $50k for a bulldozer."

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »
I did. If having $100k in cash for a real estate deal constitutes "careening", so, too, would having $50k for a bulldozer. If not, why not?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »
People usually don't careen around the country with any amount of money looking for bulldozers.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 04:17:59 PM »
My point to The Rabbi was, $50k in cash for a bullldozer is not unheard of, but $100k for a real estate deal is considered "careening", and must be drug money. Why the difference? Why the double standard?

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »
its not that unheard of rabbi. i've done it more than a few times  gotten visits from the feds a few times over it and was always able to show em the paper trail and make em go away. its not that much diffferent than buying a used car  dicker a while then show them some cash   you'd be surprised how a few bundles of benjamins can make a property owner bridge the final gap bwteeen what you wanna pay and his asking price. i build houses and pay cash for materials and subs. the guys like knowing that if they call me at 3 pm say they'll be done at 5 i'll be there and they can go home paid in full. especially if they are working weekends.  i get a lotta odd looks from folks cause i don't look like money  look more like salvation army shelter.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »
My point to The Rabbi was, $50k in cash for a bullldozer is not unheard of, but $100k for a real estate deal is considered "careening", and must be drug money. Why the difference? Why the double standard?
Do you have any idea what I mean by "careening around the country"?
In the story quoted the individual's money was taken in DE while he was on his way to NC.  That is not going down to your local Dodge dealer with $15k cash in your pocket.  It is not paying your subs in cash for a job.  It makes no sense whatsoever, outside of being drug money.  Which is what the Feds suspected.

Paddy

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 04:46:26 PM »
People don't do real estate deals in cash.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »
People don't do real estate deals in cash.

I've heard of it.  But it is very frowned on.  Unless the real estate has had wheels attached to it at some point.

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2007, 04:53:33 PM »
people do indeed do real estate in cash  i handle that for my old boss.  perversly he trusts me with lots of his cash.  and i've travelled from va to florida with 75 k for him to pay for 2 race horses.its not with out risks but cash means leveraage in some circles

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »
in the last 36 months we've done over 2 mill in real estate deals cash. we prefer to meet folks at their bank if we can so they can feel safer and for our protection as well.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2007, 05:00:42 PM »
Quote from: Rich Lucibella
Wanna bet?
Delaware. 1990. Man, without prior record, carrying $100K cash, stopped and sniffed. Money confiscated in a case styled, US Government v. One Hundred Thousand Dollars in US Currency. (They charge the property because it makes it more difficult for the owner to prove "standing" in court.)

The burden of proof was not on the government but the bearer. The money was "guilty until proven innocent". The bearer claimed he was headed to Western North Carolina in search of land deals. In Court he produced his money backer, complete with cash withdrawal history from legal bank accounts; a man who could document his income and who had an un-impeachable background. That backer was yours truly. The money was mine. It no longer is. In the end, the Judged decided that we had not sufficiently proven my ownership of my money.

True story.
Rich
Huh??  Hasn't this guy ever heard of a cashier's check?

Edit:  Hmm, looks like I should have read the whole thread before posting...