Author Topic: I want to build a Jack-in-the-box, can you help ?  (Read 1689 times)

hexidismal

I want to build a Jack-in-the-box, can you help ?
« on: August 28, 2007, 01:33:23 PM »
It's a weird topic I know...
  but I had this idea to build my wife a nice custom jack in the box,in a style she would like, for her birthday. I've got a few months still to work up some ideas. I was wondering .. do any members have any idea whatsoever how I should start ? Like.. where I might be able to get some plans and the proper materials ? I've done some searching around and I haven't really been able to find anything appropriate. I'm not a particularly good woodworker.. not for lack of skill so much as lack of space and equipment. I was thinking though that if I could just get an appropriate box, I could make a hinged lid easily enough. I can do intricate exterior design stuff with a dremel from my experience with building computers and working with plexiglass. I need to figure out though, just how to get some kind of mechanism to work, and where to get the needed materials.

Any ideas ? Any help would be much appreciated  Smiley
I'm hexidismal on THR, TFL, APS, and many other forums.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: I want to build a Jack-in-the-box, can you help ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »
Have you considered gutting an existing jack-in-the-box?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »
yip

re-work a functioning one

I made one into a faux TV set and made the jack into a penguin
http://www.playthingspast.com/sh643.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

hexidismal

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »
Well, I had thought about that and sort of perused some of the options. Thus far I've found it nearly impossible to find one in plain wood though. The modern ones that are sold seem to be all either plastic or metal. In large part, the designs I want to do require wood that I can do work on with the dremel and then finish with a dark strain and possibly a lacquer. If I could somehow find a completely plain wooden box one already built, then a re-work would be a great option .. but I don't know where I might find such a thing. It may be a lost cause, but I'm not quite willing to give up this early in the game.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 04:49:43 PM »
Jack in the Box is soooo eighties.

Build a Chipotle.  Burritos are where it's at!!   grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
Why not buy a metal one and then replace the metal box with wood?  Maybe prettify the crank too.

hexidismal

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »
Hmm, I never thought of that. Not a bad idea at all there, I guess I could strip the internals if it really came down to that. Or maybe it would be even easier to just encase the whole metal box in wood. I'll definately keep those in mind as options. Thanks for the replies so far Smiley  Keep em coming !

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
I swear, APS knows everything.   shocked

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 01:36:52 AM »
I swear, APS knows everything.   shocked
(SHHHH!!! Don't tell everyone)

Maybe we should run for President, the House and the Senate as a conglomerate.

Run the country from the internet.

Na, it would never work.  Too perfect.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 05:27:21 AM »
Jack in the Box is soooo eighties.

Build a Chipotle.  Burritos are where it's at!!   grin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 08:00:09 AM »
If you build a Jack in the Box, make sure you cook the hamburgers to at least well done.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

hexidismal

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »
The funny thing about all the replies with the Jack in the Box restaurant jokes is that they don't even apply around here, we don't have one anywhere near here. In fact the chain doesn't have any locations in new england at all. (I'm in NY, I didn't even notice till now that it's not next to my name like on THR)  I only even know what it is from traveling, it's really a western and southern thing.

More serious responses though would be most welcome Smiley

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »
"we don't have one anywhere near here."

Hence, the need to build one Smiley

FWIW, I think the guys who recommended gutting an off-the-shelf unit have the right idea.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »
tally ho!

Jack in the Box 4 1/2" Square
Jack in the Box kit comes complete with the musical part that opens the box, the red knob for handle, spring and a pattern with instruction.  Looks very nice just stained and/or varnished. The 4 1/2" box is completely opened inside where the musical part is exposed. The musical part is included but the spring is not.

$40.00

http://www.handcranktoys.com/parts.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACK-IN-THE-BOX-PLAN-German-WOOD-New-non-mechanical_W0QQitemZ5990232177QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jack-in-the-Box-Musical-Part-that-opens-the-Lid_W0QQitemZ280148544934QQihZ018QQcategoryZ308QQcmdZViewItem
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"