Author Topic: John Edwards Says Give Up Your SUV  (Read 6995 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
John Edwards Says Give Up Your SUV
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:07:12 AM »
Can you believe this guy? If you want to rail against SUVs, fine, but then don't use this line:

Edwards was asked during his appearance how he explained the contradiction of asking Americans to sacrifice while he's living in a 28,000-square-foot (2,600-square-meter) mansion.

He said he came from nothing, worked hard all his life, has always supported workers and fought big corporations as a lawyer.

"I have no apologies whatsoever for what I've done with my life," he said to loud cheers.

How many of us here came from nothing and worked hard all our lives? If that's all it takes to get an "Edwards Credit" I'm trading my Trooper in on a Hummer H1.  laugh

I will not even comment on his hypocrisy on the gun statement.

---------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294974,00.html

John Edwards: Americans Should 'Sacrifice' SUVs for Environment

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. 
Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards told a labor group that he would ask Americans to make a big sacrifice: their sport utility vehicles.

"I think Americans are actually willing to sacrifice," Edwards said Tuesday during a forum held by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. "One of the things they should be asked to do is drive more fuel efficient vehicles."

The former North Carolina senator was asked specifically if he would tell them to give up their SUVs, he said, "Yes."

" Get the latest campaign news in FOXNews.com's You Decide 2008 Center, learn about the candidates in the Eye on the Issues Center and read the daily Update '08 newsletter.

Longshot candidate Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio also spoke to the group and said he had a Machinists union flag hanging outside his congressional office and that he is a strong supporter of workers.

Edwards was clearly popular with the group, several times drawing standing ovations, including once when he said weapons and equipment used by America's military needs to be made in the United States. He said now tanks and ammunition for M16 rifles are being made in other countries.

" PHOTO ESSAYS: 2008 Democratic Presidential Candidates and 2008 Republican Presidential Candidates

"If your tax dollars are being used to produce the products that keep America safe, that provide defense for the American people, those jobs should remain in the United States of America," Edwards said.

He also said as president he would ask residents to conserve energy and said the U.S. needs to focus on being a leader in creating alternative energy. He said he wants a national cap on carbon dioxide emissions that is lowered each year.

"We are the worst polluter on the planet. We are 4 percent of the world's population, we're putting out 25 percent of the world's greenhouse gas," Edwards said. "America's going to have to change."

Edwards was asked during his appearance how he explained the contradiction of asking Americans to sacrifice while he's living in a 28,000-square-foot (2,600-square-meter) mansion.

He said he came from nothing, worked hard all his life, has always supported workers and fought big corporations as a lawyer.

"I have no apologies whatsoever for what I've done with my life," he said to loud cheers. "My entire life has been about the same cause, which is making sure wherever you come from, whatever your family is, whatever the color of your skin, you get a real chance to do something great in this country."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: John Edwards Says Give Up Your SUV
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:12:56 AM »
Typical answer, answering the question without answering the question in question.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 05:14:51 AM »
You serfs sacrifice.  I'll be on my yacht, then off to my mansion in my BMW.

The only thing I'm giving up is voting for John Edwards.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 05:17:36 AM »
You serfs sacrifice.  I'll be on my yacht, then off to my mansion in my BMW Private Jet.

The only thing I'm giving up is voting for John Edwards.

Fixed it for you.

Hell, his palace is twice that of Al Gore's, who was lambasted in the media for his high electric bill.....
I'll start believing that they believe this crap when the SS fleet is converted to hybrids....
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:20:36 AM »
"I think Americans are actually willing to sacrifice,"

Oh, yeah, that'll get you elected.  rolleyes

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:21:13 AM »
Summation of John Edwards in a single image:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:32:09 AM »
When you pry my cold dead hands off my 4wd shift lever  angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 05:56:48 AM »

John Edwards Says Give Up Your SUV

And Avenger 29 says: "John Edwards, go f&*# yourself."

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 06:05:00 AM »
Quote from: John Edwards
Give Up Your SUV

No.

~BakerMike

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 06:06:16 AM »
If John Edwards wants to buy me a more fuel efficient vehicle, then I'd GLADLY not drive my Supercrew F150 4WD !! (Except in cases where I actually need a truck to do some hauling, get around in snow, etc) Until I see a new vehicle in my driveway courtesy of John Edwards, I guess I'll keep driving my truck.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 06:33:10 AM »
Edwards was clearly popular with the group, several times drawing standing ovations, including once when he said weapons and equipment used by America's military needs to be made in the United States. He said now tanks and ammunition for M16 rifles are being made in other countries.

I would like to see an example of this.  There is no other country producing the M1 Abrams tank due to all the "classified" technology in and on it.  As for ammo.  If so it is only because U.S. companies can't or won't produce enough to support us.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »
I just wish he'd go back to nothing...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 07:01:20 AM »
Mr. Edwards,
I don't own an SUV, I own a very economical and green 2007 Hyundai Accent.  You make me want to buy back my beloved gas hog truck.  Tell you what, you move into a modest-sized condo, and then I'll believe you're really sincere about this whole business.  Deal?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 08:13:11 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 09:48:33 AM »
Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards told a labor group that he would ask Americans to make a big sacrifice: their sport utility vehicles.

"I think Americans are actually willing to sacrifice," Edwards said Tuesday...

Wow.  This level of hypocrisy is stunning, even for John Edwards.  Like, to the extent that it gives new meaning to the word "hypocrisy."

The sad part is that the Daily Kos types will probably eat this up, and think he's the greatest thing since the coming of the Messiah. rolleyes

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »
I'm guessing he meant to repeal the glaring tax credit to people who purchase SUV's, but I'm not certain.
I'd support that; There's no reason to give tax credits to people who buy wasteful vehicles.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 11:04:23 AM »
I'm guessing he meant to repeal the glaring tax credit to people who purchase SUV's, but I'm not certain.
I'd support that; There's no reason to give tax credits to people who buy wasteful vehicles.

While I would agree to substantially reducing taxes in tandem with with eliminating most/all the various tax breaks, that is clearly not what Mr. Edwards was talking about.  He said that would ask Americans to sacrifice their sport utility vehicles.  There was no mention of tax breaks.

(I note that it is unclear what the word "ask" means in this context.  Rarely do politicians simply "ask"--they normally order, and if their orders are ignored, eventually men with guns come to enforce what they "asked.")

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »

You're supporting what you wish he said instead of what he actually said.

Thus are Democrats elected...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 12:31:15 PM »
If John Edwards wants to buy me a more fuel efficient vehicle, then I'd GLADLY not drive my Supercrew F150 4WD !! (Except in cases where I actually need a truck to do some hauling, get around in snow, etc) Until I see a new vehicle in my driveway courtesy of John Edwards, I guess I'll keep driving my truck.

No, I'd probably burn the Prius, shoot the guy that delivered it and then go hunting for John Edwards. I'd do that on the consideration that to deliver me a new vehicle he took lots of money away from someone who earned it.

Edwards is right though, there are two Americas. People who work honestly and produce, and looters.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 12:37:45 PM »
Oh, those wily Republicrats and Democans! What would we do for laughs without that lot?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 12:43:49 PM »

No, I'd probably burn the Prius, shoot the guy that delivered it and then go hunting for John Edwards. I'd do that on the consideration that to deliver me a new vehicle he took lots of money away from someone who earned it.

Edwards is right though, there are two Americas. People who work honestly and produce, and looters.

French, I should have added the caveat, "at HIS own expense". I would be the LAST one to take away any more from the taxpayers. Already the taxpayers pay my retirement and medical.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
It's getting even deeper: http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0807/Edwards_vs_the_SUV.html:

"Edwards believes that everyone should be able to drive the car, truck or SUV of their choice and still enjoy high fuel economy."

Yessir ladies and gents, if you elect Mr. Edwards, he will revoke the laws of physics for you!

Well, I guess that's no greater miracle than what he promised it 2004, that if he was elected, Christopher Reeve would walk again.  rolleyes

Why isn't this guy laughed off the stage?  angry

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 01:04:38 PM »

Only if he does first... he better start stumping from a Ford Focus or a Chevy Aveo

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »
I'm guessing he meant to repeal the glaring tax credit to people who purchase SUV's

I thought that was already repealed. If not, anybody got a link? I just bought a big ass 7500 lb truck a couple of months ago, and if I can get some tax credits for it, I'm waaaay down with that man.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »

You're supporting what you wish he said instead of what he actually said.

Thus are Democrats elected...

I honestly don't know what he said.
Assuming he DID say to give up your SUV, I'd agree that's a rotten move.

A better plan would be a tax credit based on environmental impact.  For example, get a tax break based on MPG of your car.  If your vehicle gets 25mpg or better, you break even.  If it gets 30mpg, you get a 50% break on your vehicle reg. fee on your federal taxes.  45mpg or better, 100%. 

Any vehicle that gets less than 20mpg pays a percentage of their reg fee to help pay for research into getting our country off of fossil fuels, for instance.

Even better, say that we give up ALL fossil-fuel powered vehicles by 2020, and our dependence of fossil fuels totally by 2030.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM