Author Topic: Opinion needly badly, please....or "Why people suck"...  (Read 3244 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Opinion needly badly, please....or "Why people suck"...
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:33:56 AM »
I need opinions please.

We had put or Wheaten mix down in March of this year after a 2 1/2 year battle w/ Kidney disease.  I have been looking since Mayish for the "right" dog.  Well, I found her.  And now they want her back.  What do I do?

Tuesday afternoon I was surfing Craigslist like I do 4-5 times a week looking for the perfect pile of fur to move in to our home.  I found her on Tuesday.  I emailed back and forth with the husband and wife 3-4 times that day, made payment arrangements, had everything settled, and told them I'd like to go out Tuesday night to get the dog.  Mind you, this is a two hour drive (NH to MA and back), each way.  They were supposed to call me around 5:00 to give me directions.  I was supposed to get my Wife and Little one and head south.  They finally called at about 7:30 and said that the wife had to go back to work, and they promised to hold the dog for us until Wednesday PM.

I asked them why they were getting rid of a seemingly perfect little pup, and they told me that they got her, and they realized that it didn't fit into their lifestyle, and they made a mistake.  Cool.  It happens.

We are all set to get the dog Wednesday night, then I get an email Wednesday AM looking for vet references, etc.  A little late, since they already told me I can have the dog, but I play along.  I then get yet another email telling me they made the right decision.  They try to screw around a little bit about the price and weather or not it included the pet crate.  I told them that I have the email from the Husband saying that it is included, but that we REALLY want the dog, so this won't be a deal breaker, keep the crate.

We drive two hours last night, play with said pup for an hour or so, they give us the crate, and we go two hours home.  While we were there, they let us know that they had gotten the dog on Saturday- that's right, three days before they posted it.  Three days.  Saturday afternoon pickup.  Play Sat night, all day Sunday, then decide to get rid of it and post on Monday.  What kind of idiot gets a dog and decides they want to get rid of it in three days?

The same idiot that called me this morning and asked for her back.

That's right.  The Wife was up all night crying, she missed her dog.  She wants it back.  I told him I'd call him back.  I asked the Wife, who got pissed.  I called a few level headed people, they thought it was a joke.

I call the chap back, and apologize, and tell him that my Wife can't bear loosing another dog.  He understands, and now tells me that the real issue is that the Wife is concerned about all of the other animals that we have (another dog, and two cats).  They new this from day one, it is in my first email.

He asks us to call the Wife and assure her that the pup is alright.

We do so, and left her a voice mail.

1.  Are we right in not giving the dog back? 

2.  How long do we play this game with them?

3.  One person daid that they bought the dog on Saturday for $700.00, we gave them $150.00, and my friend said that the people that came out to see the dog before us probably offered more money, and they are just simply trying to make more money.

What say y'all?
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Opinion needly badly, please....or "Why people suck"...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 04:38:28 AM »
I'd say in retrospect that this is why you stop at Staples and get a Bill of Sale contract for any purchase, even a dog, and make them sign it.

To them, the dog is apparently a commodity. To you, it's something more than an object. I think it has a better home with you.

For the dog's sake, keep it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:43:06 AM »
Seller's remorse.  Someone else offered more money but didn't come through until the offer was made with you.

I wouldn't worry about it anymore and tell them that the deal has been done and have no more contact with the sellers.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:45:45 AM »
This is also why a cat breeder I know makes any buyers sign a Right of First Refusal. If they want to get rid of the cat, the breeder, by contract, has the first right to purchase it back, since they don't want the cat going to an un-interviewed, and perhaps unsuitable home, or sold to a lab or something else horrible.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:49:10 AM »
wmenorr67 nailed it.  Keep the pup, it's yours.
If they call again, tell them in any fashion you deem appropriate, to go pound sand.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:49:33 AM »
I would keep the dog.  If the whole thing gets messy, I think Wapner would rule in your favor.

I think the dog is better off now, and I would stop talking with the people you got her from.

----
Edited for grammar or spelling.
Reading the posts where I'm quoted just makes me feel stupid.  (A common feeling for me)
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:52:31 AM »
I would keep the dog.  If the whole thing get messy, I think Wapner would rule in your favor.

I think the dog is better off now, and I would stop talking with the people you got her from.

Ding, ding! We have a winner.

Keep the dog; it's yours. Stop corresponding with the sellers; the deal is done and they have no business bothering you. Ignore any further calls and emails.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:56:02 AM »
I would keep the dog.  If the whole thing get messy, I think Wapner would rule in your favor.

Ding, ding! We have a winner.

Keep the dog; it's yours. Stop corresponding with the sellers; the deal is done and they have no business bothering you. Ignore any further calls and emails.

jb

All I can do is add my approval to these already good sentiments.  When money changes hands and the deal is consummated, its a done deal.  Offer them the dog back at $300.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ron

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:56:11 AM »
I think you should enjoy yourselves smothering your new puppy in affection. Congrads on the new member of the household!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 05:22:07 AM »
enjoy the new mutt, and stop corresponding with these dingbats that have already wasted enough of your time.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 05:28:26 AM »
I say keep the dog.  The only way I would return it is if this was a child's pet that had been with them for some time.  Three days and no kids involved?  No way would I return it.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 05:31:36 AM »
Keep the dog. You have a valid contract as far as I can tell. They're the ones trying to break it. And it really sounds as if they're simply not fit to own a dog..

Tell them you've bonded with the dog, that he's now a member of your family, and there's no way in hell that he's going anywhere. Then use the words lawyer, court, we'll sue you for attempting to break our contract.

Do NOT get rid of any of the e-mails that passed between you, especially the ones talking about price.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 05:36:58 AM »
What kind of idiot gets a dog and decides they want to get rid of it in three days?

The same kind of people that get a dog, and when it gets too big and is not a cute puppy anymore, dump it out on the side of the road to fend for itself...

Of all the dogs we have had, we have only had to get rid of two because of uncontrollable behavior. One tore out the floor of the trailer that my parents were living in, and the other would jump up on and knock down anybody that got near it.

Otherwise, we keep, care for, and love the dog until it dies.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 05:49:01 AM »
I agree with everyone else, the pup is yours and clearly will be better off with you.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 05:54:11 AM »
Thank y'all....you all said what I thought you would, which is what I think is right.

Even if we give the dog back, what's to say she doesn't change her mind again in a few days?

One day at a time.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 06:03:27 AM »
Thank y'all....you all said what I thought you would, which is what I think is right.

Even if we give the dog back, what's to say she doesn't change her mind again in a few days?

(Forest Gump Voice)We may not be smart people, but we know what is right.(voice off)
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 06:17:02 AM »
I am a dog lover and have two.  (13 and 10)

Keep the mutt -- accepted as family, in your eyes the moment you picked up the critter -- and cease accepting calls.

Have a great day!
Zeke

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 06:20:03 AM »
We had something similar happen a few months ago. A family was getting rid of a beautiful, 2-year old chocolate lab because they had gotten it as a companion for their other dog that had since died. They didn't really have the time to play with it, etc. We took him home and had him for 3  days or so and then the guy called wanting it back. We decided to give it back because they had had it for over a year, they gave it to us for free, and the daughter of the guy was really missing it (she didn't want to get rid of it).

However, in your situation, I would tell them to go take a hike. You paid for it, and 3 days is not enough for them to have gotten really attached to it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 06:29:23 AM »
There was this time that I found a pure bred Husky that was "rescued."  I took the dog in with every thought of giving it a good home.  Well after about a day we realized it wasn't going to work out for various reasons.  Called the people who were with the "rescue" group to find out what could be done.  They said that if we couldn't take the dog then it was going to be put to sleep because it had been in the "system" too long.  Well I found a neighbor of a friend that would give the dog a good home so I turned the dog over to them.  A couple of days later the group called about the dog and said they either needed the "rescue" funds or the dog.  I told them that they could go take a hike because the dog was in a good home and that I wasn't going to turn over a perfectly good dog to be put down.  Never heard from them again.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 06:30:27 AM »

what's to say she doesn't change her mind again in a few days?

It's not a matter of If, but When.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 06:33:42 AM »
The dog has a better home with you all. Wink

Why can't people keep their word anymore...?   angry

Last year, we advertised a mini-horse (shetland pony size) right before xmas.  The second or third caller bought him, and wanted to pick him up on xmas eve.  We must have gotten 40 more calls after that, and it was obvious we had priced him way too cheap.  (full size horses were selling for almost nothing then, and we just wanted to find him a home where he would have a child to give him attention) 

Anyway, we stuck to our word and sold him as promised.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 07:01:09 AM »
I see either, as wmenorr said, a case of seller's remorse, or they're playing some kind of mental game with you. Keep the pooch, tell 'em to take a long walk off a short pier.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 07:12:45 AM »
This is the email that I just got from her:

Thank you for even discussing this situation with my husband this morning.  I'm sorry to have caused your family undue stress, but suspect that you understand our feelings. Apparently, we all were more attached to the pup than we thought - I myself spent a long night wondering if we'd done the right thing and regretting the entire process.  To be very honest with you, I was concerned that I'd passed on a perfectly wonderful family yesterday morning in favor of your situation, only to feel that your wife and the pup really hadn't taken to one another very well while you were here.  I'd also never seen her bark at anyone before, or behave so shyly.  I'm concerned that your household, with an active 2 year old, and other, bigger, pets, may be overwhelming to the pup and cause her to become more nervous and high strung than she otherwise would be.  I guess I was just expecting more warmth and connection between your wife and the pup.

I will never know if we made the right decision. If we were ever to have a dog, that was the one for us.  But we'll all feel much better if we know that she's happy, relaxed and everything she was meant to be - I'd appreciate any updates you might care to share with us.
One day at a time.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 07:19:42 AM »
They only had her for three days and she is trying to make all these comparisons.  HA.  Leave well enough alone and lose the email address, but not the emails.

Paddy

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 07:30:50 AM »
You're obviously dealing with sporads.  Keep the dog, but nice to the sellers.  Continue to assure them the pup found a good loving home.