Author Topic: Ultimate Domestic Pet Showdown  (Read 4804 times)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: Ultimate Domestic Pet Showdown
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 01:15:38 PM »
I come from a typically cat owning family, although my sister and her boyfriend in Oz have a wonderful Springer Spaniel named Max. My take on it, is that Cats are generally low maintenance, and can be left mostly to themselves (especially if you have a cat flap on the door), while a Dog like max needs to be fussed over, and part of everything that you are doing. Also, he can't stand to be left on his own. I suppose as a gun Dog (as a bredd, not that he is used as such), he naturally is needing more exercise and all that.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 01:29:42 PM »
I like hermit crabs.

I hold their shells so they can't get any traction on the floor.

My nephew and niece come over for hermit crab races on weekends.   grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I love cats and dogs. But we have a small parrot, so a cat's out of the question, so I just spend more time with the dog.

We've had many birds, although I only got attached to one, a cockatiel named Oscar.

We had a tarantula for a few weeks. It was gross. The first time it crawled up my arm was the last time I touched it.

We had a water dragon for a couple of years. They look like an iguana without the flap of skin at the neck. It was small when I bought it, and we fed it grasshoppers. Then it grew to the point where it needed larger food, as in live baby mice. Then it grew to the point where it needed even larger food, as in live baby rats. It was unsettling to watch and listen to it crunch the rats' bones. When we gave it to the county zoo, they said it was the largest water dragon they'd ever seen.

I'll stick with dogs now.

BobCat

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
Gentlemen!  If you knew how many we place, you would not be so quick to criticize.

Its more fun at your expense than criticisim.  If you like living in animal filth, thats your choice.
 grin

No filth.  I'm not above cleaning litter boxes, and they mostly go outside anyway.

They do shed, but I don't mind a little cat hair on my chair - it *is* called "fur"niture you know.

And there is an amazing electrical gizmo you can get at Sears, called a vacuum cleaner.  It is for removing whatever "filth" you might find in your house.  Well, almost whatever.  The Garand is for the other.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »

My cat likes guns.  I used to have a dog and he didn't.

That's all I need to know  angel

EDIT:
I just noticed that was broken.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 12:05:29 AM »
I voted cats because I have four now, but I love my donkeys. I like dogs, but all my animals are throw-aways and no dogs have come my way.
Do y'all seriously think only 12 cats is hoarding?
And there is an amazing electrical gizmo you can get at Sears, called a vacuum cleaner.  It is for removing whatever "filth" you might find in your house.  Well, almost whatever.  The Garand is for the other.
BobCat, you just made my day.  grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 02:23:51 AM »
LadySmith:

What is the deal with donkeys?  How do they compare with horses, ponies, and other larger critters sometimes kept as pets?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 02:48:03 AM »
I suppose donkeys are like the beat up pickup trucks of the horse family. They're general all-purpose beasties that are territorial, loyal and none too fancy (of course mine are beautiful  cheesy). They're an excellent alarm system. They bray LOUDLY when strangers and unfamiliar vehicles appear. I could work them or ride them, but I don't. Mine act like big funny-looking dogs that can bite, stomp and kick the crap out of an opponent. They know teamwork, too.
I'm sure Tallpine can tell you all about horses & ponies. I've never had either of those.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 03:23:09 AM »
I like hermit crabs.

I hold their shells so they can't get any traction on the floor.

My nephew and niece come over for hermit crab races on weekends.   grin

I always thought you had crabs.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 06:09:39 AM »
The thing about animals in general is that they treat you with the same love and respect that you give them, only better in many cases.  Unlike humans who you can treat wonderfully and they will stab you in the back first chance they get  angry

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 06:16:02 AM »
one of my assault turtles:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 06:28:16 AM »
At home there is one dog, one cat, a hamster and two children. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 08:04:55 AM »
Like dogs.

Detest cats.

Fish are like a painting that requires work to maintain.

Rodents are only good for feeding reptiles.

Reptiles belong outside to eat bugs and rodents.

Jackasses are usually the only choices I find on the ballot.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2007, 01:54:08 AM »
Cats.  Nothing teaches humility like a cat in the house.

-BP

Obviously not a statement made by a weak man who's been married to a bad woman.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2007, 04:11:19 AM »
Chipmunks!!

We have two semi-trained chips in our backyard.  I say semi-trained because they have us trained to supply them with bird seed and peanuts.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2007, 07:24:22 AM »
I am hugely allergic to cats... Eyes feel like something's dumped salt in 'em, nose constantly runs, etc...

We had cats when I was growing up. They were in charge of pest eradication around the barns and outbuildings. They got fed table scraps and cat food and dog food.

I have a friend who had a cat. Then she had two. Then she had four... Last count, she has 5-6, and it just hits you in the face when you walk in her house. I can't go there.

Worked with a cat lady... Running a "rescue" operation. I think she had over 20 living in her house.

Some women remind me of cats... They look so cute. And then you catch them in an unguarded moment, and you realize that they are actually serious predators...

Blog under construction