Author Topic: A case of almost terminal stupidity with bears  (Read 5405 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
A case of almost terminal stupidity with bears
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/missoula/of-claws-and-coops/Content?oid=1508797

Article in the local free hippy rag about bears and chicken coops.  The author went out, unarmed in any fashion, to run black bears out of the chicken coop.  3 times.  the last time it ended up with the author inside the coop pushing against the bear at the door.   :facepalm:

Even the fish and game said to shoot the bear.  The author is currently working on a bear proof chicken coop.  Good luck with that...

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: A case of almost terminal stupidity with bears
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
Darwin candidate soon?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »
That poor bear. I sincerely hope he didn't catch anything in his up close encounter with a hippie.

At least he was smart enough not to put it in his mouth.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:29:12 PM »
One of the most asinine examples of human stupidity around bruins was witnessed by a friend's sister - she and her boyfriend were in Yellowstone, watching some people hand-feeding bears from their cars. That's bad enough, but one family got out of their car - while Mommy was holding a camera, Daddy tried to put Junior on top of a bear for a picture.   :facepalm:

Junior was unhappy with this and was making his displeasure known in a very loud and vocal manner . . . whereupon the bear, looking rather perplexed, ran off into the woods.

When last seen, Daddy and Mommy were scolding the tearful Junior for being so noisy and scaring Yogi away.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
how do bears handle electricity?  my coop has a gulag look with hot wires run to tickle the coons and possums. its a fence charger designed to charge 5 to 7 miles of wire for livestock  i have about 1/2 mile of wire run.  it kills squirrels. would it discourage a bear?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

"Don't eat that, you don't know where it's been"
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
      Actually, from reading the article, it sounds like he's willing to listen to reason and attempt to see the issue from the viewpoints of others and to perhaps learn from his mistakes. He doesn't sound like a Treadwell wannabee, and even espouses some valid wildlife principles in the article ("bears aclimated to humans are a danger to themselves and humans").
     If he's willing to sacrifice the chickens and the elbow grease and the $$ in the process, I don't begrudge him the attempt at bearproofing his coop. He might come up with something that would be even more useful for folks in locations that don't have the option of shooting nuisance bears.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »
how do bears handle electricity?  my coop has a gulag look with hot wires run to tickle the coons and possums. its a fence charger designed to charge 5 to 7 miles of wire for livestock  i have about 1/2 mile of wire run.  it kills squirrels. would it discourage a bear?

Wait, there's 1/2 mile of wire on your chicken coop?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Remember, this is C&SD we're talking about here...  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
Darwin candidate soon?

Actually I probably would have done something similar to what the chicken guys did. Only exception is I'd probably be armed in case the bear wanted to stand their ground. Black bears for the most part are very timid around people.

I whacked a bear pretty good one night though my tent, heard it rub up against the tent and smacked the side of the tent as a hard as I could getting a piece of the bear. It took off and didn't come back.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
Wait, there's 1/2 mile of wire on your chicken coop?

i've got 3 acres broken up into 3 areas. plus 2 smaller pens a coop and a run in shed. i ran wire on all of it. turn on whichever sections i want
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Actually I probably would have done something similar to what the chicken guys did. Only exception is I'd probably be armed in case the bear wanted to

This makes a difference.  Most if not all of us would go out there prepared to defend ourselves, not become dinner.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
This makes a difference.  Most if not all of us would go out there prepared to defend ourselves, not become dinner.

i had a problem bear that i wanted to discourage with stinger rounds.  at one time i had put all my guns in a friends gun safe while i got over being depressed.  i called him up asked him to bring me a 12 guage so i could scare the bear off.  the dirty sob brought me a single shot.  he said i should only need one shot for one bear.  i was less than amused.  the stingers worked as advertised but i bit down so hard on the 2 rounds of back up double ought i had in my teeth i bent the brass.  i wasn't scared :facepalm:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
it kills squirrels. would it discourage a bear?

Electric fences work for camping in bear country.

http://www.electrobearguard.com/
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »
I hope the author figures out that there are a whole lot of options between "no protection for the coop" and "kill the bear".  Bear spray, electrify the fence, stingers, noise makers, dogs, etc.   

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »

That is my point.  We are all aware of black bear behavior, but bear spray.. a gun..  something would be appropriate here.  Getting into a shoving match over a flimsy chicken coop door with a bear with no backup option is not the best idea in the world.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 01:15:26 AM »
Dev Carey is a contributor to Writers on the Range, a service of High Country News (hcn.org). He runs an environmental nonprofit in Paonia, Colorado.

I wish I could live the good life, scamming people of out of their money.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
This sort of thing is one reason that I carry a sidearm all day every day at home (and most other places).

The "wild" is right outside my door, assuming the wild doesn't tear down the door and come inside.  (no, I don't have a bear proof refrigerator in my kitchen  ;/ )

Lot's of times I grab a rifle also if I am going out in the yard to check out something.

Plus we have a couple of psychos living in our neighborhood now  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
Plus we have a couple of newpsychos living in our neighborhood now  sad

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
Plus we have a couple of newpsychos living in our neighborhood now  sad

Most of the others are just new age idiots that don't threaten to kill people and/or burn down their house.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »
That poor bear. I sincerely hope he didn't catch anything in his up close encounter with a hippie.

FTW!
D. R. ZINN

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 02:18:47 AM »
allegedly  there was a case in the 70's where mom and dad poured honey on their toddler to get a film of yogi licking junior. ... lick lick lick-bite. ... supposedly all caught on film
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."