Author Topic: Attention all Star Trek fans  (Read 814 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Attention all Star Trek fans
« on: November 01, 2023, 06:30:21 PM »
The missing TOS 3ft Enterprise model has been found.
Maybe, although most everyone is convinced it's the real deal
Turned up on E-bay

The discovery first came to light on X (formerly Twitter) when Alex Perry, co-owner of TrekCore.com, spotted an eBay auction for a “rare custom Star Trek USS Enterprise spaceship by Richard Datin.” Images showed a timeworn but instantly recognisable Enterprise, mounted on a wooden stand. The seller listed the model with a starting price of $1,000.

According to Perry, the person who listed the Enterprise model had purchased “an abandoned storage unit” and listed it on eBay, assuming it to be a replica.
You’ve probably guessed where this is going: Datin Jr was the model maker who built the original Enterprise miniature, based on the design by Matt Jeffries. The Howard Anderson Company, which provided the visual effects for the series, commissioned Datin Jr to make several models for Star Trek in 1964, and the 32-inch miniature he built was used for several shots in the unaired pilot, The Cage, and a few other early episodes. Later on, a more detailed, 11-foot-long model was created and used for other episodes in the original series.
When Star Trek was cancelled in 1969, the 32-inch model was eventually given back to series creator Gene Roddenberry. For several years, the mini Enterprise sat happily on Roddenberry’s desk – until one day it was either lent out and vanished or was outright stolen.
https://filmstories.co.uk/news/star-trek-original-uss-enterprise-model-once-thought-missing-may-have-been-found/

RED ALERT Lost 3 ft TOS Enterprise found????
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/red-alert-lost-3-ft-tos-enterprise-found.354596/

Video that popped up on YT that alerted me

Star Trek 3ft Enterprise has been FOUND!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=javTIoyiBk0
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 06:47:45 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Attention all Star Trek fans
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 09:31:52 PM »
 "fascinating"

man, I would love to own that!!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 07:36:40 AM »
Update video where the photos are examined in detail.
Long story short if this is a fake it's an insanely good one,
Of note is that it was Rod Rod Roddenberry who contacted EBay and the auction was "terminated". And there's something weird going on with the ownership of the storage unit it was supposedly found in, the owner supposedly died in 1957 and something else missing was found in another storage unit under his name. :O

Analyzing the Lost Starship: The Resurfaced Enterprise Model from 1964"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQlxIA5phU
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 07:51:30 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 07:42:51 AM »
Wonder if courts and lawyers will be involved in an ownership dispute . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »

Count on it.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 08:49:26 AM »
It would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to just pay the guy $1000 or whatever for immediate purchase and get it in hand.  Might also see what else was in the storage unit. 

If this is true, I am bit surprised these people put this on blast rather than just buying it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
It would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to just pay the guy $1000 or whatever for immediate purchase and get it in hand.  Might also see what else was in the storage unit. 

If this is true, I am bit surprised these people put this on blast rather than just buying it.

Agree - it seems that $1000 would be cheap for a piece of TV history like this, given what movie and TV memorabilia can sell for.

. . . the person who listed the Enterprise model had purchased “an abandoned storage unit” and listed it on eBay, assuming it to be a replica.
Normally, buying a storage unit confers ownership of the contents to the buyer, unless it's contraband (e.g., illegal drugs) or is provably stolen property.

. . . For several years, the mini Enterprise sat happily on Roddenberry’s desk – until one day it was either lent out and vanished or was outright stolen.
IANAL, but unless someone comes up with old police records reporting the model as stolen, the current legitimate ownership of this model is at best uncertain - with the purchaser of the storage unit having a pretty strong claim. (Roddenberry isn't around any more, so we can't ask him.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 01:12:19 PM »
Fascinating story with many interesting implications.  I admit my first reaction was a wise-assed "BFD," but it really is.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 05:21:17 PM »
One of the numerous plastic models I made as a teen was that version of the Enterprise (round nacelles).  It has batteries that, when you turned the sensor dish on the front of the engineering hull, would power 2 small lights on the saucer - 1 on top and 1 on the bottom.
In a move my mother and younger brother made while I was away at college, it and all of my WW2 and newer airplane models were "misplaced".
  :facepalm:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 09:53:42 AM »

$1,000 was the starting bid and I don't see a buy now option in the screen shots, can you imagine how high the bidding would have gone once people found out about this and the auction was allowed to go on?
But once E-Bay was notified this was stolen goods they had no choice but to take it down

That said I hope Paramount gives the guy an award at least since there's a possibly he didn't know it was stolen and he just thought it a ordinary model, a very good one, made by some guy named Datin Jr. who he never heard of.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 10:11:12 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 10:13:22 AM »
I'm sure more on the above matter will come out in time.
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 01:10:44 AM »
Here's a bit long winded video explaining it in more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQlxIA5phU

Basically, details on the model up for sale match those of old photos sitting on the desk in front of Roddenberry.  Roddenberry had loaned the model to someone, and there is a letter from Roddenberry at the time asking where the model was and wanting it returned, which it apparently never was.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 06:38:52 AM »
Here's a bit long winded video explaining it in more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQlxIA5phU

Basically, details on the model up for sale match those of old photos sitting on the desk in front of Roddenberry.  Roddenberry had loaned the model to someone, and there is a letter from Roddenberry at the time asking where the model was and wanting it returned, which it apparently never was.

Same video in Reply #2
- Calvin and Hobbes