Author Topic: How should the west respond to Ukraine?  (Read 4450 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: How should the west respond to Ukraine?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2022, 11:30:38 AM »
So the brainiacs running the west have managed to lose Ukraine completely and drive Russia, China and probably India into using something other than the dollar for trade amongst themselves. Great job guys.

This is an potentially large geopolitical outcome of current events with negative impacts to the US, and one that probably doesn't get enough attention.  Weaponizing our financial system will push people away from it, at a time when the US has recklessly increased the money supply, and seems uninterested in adjusting interest rates significantly enough to combat inflation.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2022, 11:43:21 AM »
That's not Putin's decision to make.  Ukraine is a sovereign country.  He tried a puppet government, and it got ousted by our puppet government, which in turn was ousted by the current government.  They can decide if they want to be closer to the west or not, and do in large part to Russia's stance as shitty neighbor they have decided they'd like to be closer to the rest of Europe.

Putin making demands he has no right to make, then being aggressive when those demands are not met, then starting a war when those demands are pushed back against actively is how we got here.  Neither the Ukraine nor the rest of Europe are under any obligation to cater to Russia's insecurities, or more truthfully: Russia's energy export ambitions...

I didn't say it was right or moral. I am just stating what the reality on the ground has been all along.

Putin pretty much said if you want Russia to use the military option then start bringing Ukraine into the EU and NATO. To him the wests actions aren't the benevolent spread of freedom but an act of aggression that weakens Russia's national security on several levels if allowed. 

It appears we decided to call his bluff.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2022, 11:50:34 AM »
I didn't say it was right or moral. I am just stating what the reality on the ground has been all along.

Putin pretty much said if you want Russia to use the military option then start bringing Ukraine into the EU and NATO. To him the wests actions aren't the benevolent spread of freedom but an act of aggression that weakens Russia's security on several levels if allowed. 

It appears we decided to call his bluff.
That is sort of my thought at present, but it is just hindsight now.  If there had been coherent leadership in place, the Ukraine could probably have figured out some way to be independent and neutral.  With all the corruption there and external interests pushing things, that didn't happen. 

I don't know if the "interests in the West" are necessarily US interests.  I figure it is the same people backing a lot of the elitists here. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2022, 12:19:23 PM »
It also remains to be seen if Ukraine is lost.  A week ago I'd say they were, but that's the thing about war, it doesn't always turn out as predicted.

I tend to think that the west should continue giving Ukraine all the explody toys it can use, and should continue, or do more, in isolating the Russian government from money and influence over Europe.  There is a real risk that might nudge Russia into a bigger war of desperation, much the way the oil embargo did to Japan, but if they're that close to going all in, I suspect it's just a matter of time until they do it anyway.
If you want war with Russia there was hardly a better policy than the one we've implemented and followed for at least the last decade.

I know some scoffed at my saying the "globalists" wanted this war with Russia but I still think that is a possibility.

Maybe taking out Russia is part of the great reset.

Or maybe, dethroning the dollar by setting up the Russia/China/India system is the play.

We're all just fumbling in the dark here in actuality, there are wheels within wheels going on and we aren't in the "need to know" category or part of the big club.

My default is NO on military actions and wars. If I'm not considered in the need to know and there isn't a clear and present national security concern then the answer is no.

Somebodies interests are being pursued and it ain't ours.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:33:52 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2022, 12:45:25 PM »
If you want war with Russia there was hardly a better policy than the one we've implemented and followed for at least the last decade.

I know some scoffed at my saying the "globalists" wanted this war with Russia but I still think that is a possibility.

Maybe taking out Russia is part of the great reset.

Or maybe, dethroning the dollar by setting up the Russia/China/India system is the play.

We're all just fumbling in the dark here in actuality, there are wheels within wheels going on and we aren't in the "need to know" category or part of the big club.

My default is NO on military actions and wars. If I'm not considered in the need to know and there isn't a clear and present national security concern then the answer is no.

Somebodies interests are being pursued and it ain't ours.

It would be nice to know what's actually going on behind the scenes sometimes.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2022, 02:50:57 PM »
Since watching the Ukraine invasion I have been fascinated at the ineffectiveness of Russia's conventional military, however that makes me worry more about them feeling like they need to resort to their nuclear capability.  A nuclear exchange terrifies me.

I have no desire to get our nation involved in another shooting war with anyone, but much less someone with the capacity to glass American cities at will.

I'd love for Ukraine to win, and I'm all for doing whatever we can to help short of sending US troops or giving pretext to expanding the war.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2022, 02:58:44 PM »
I see us getting pulled in via an attack on a NATO county like Poland.  Other than that, support from a distance with weapons and ammo.

Question is, when does Putin go all in and claim the US is intervening via weapons and ammo…and start hitting those along the Ukraine borders or a cyber attack. 

A cyber attack may likely bring our economy to a standstill and cause a bunch of chaos

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »

I don't see this invasion as a threat to the US, as sad and distasteful as it is.  It's not a genocide/extermination event; we don't have Jews in gas chambers or racial concentration camps or anything like that.  It's a territorial annexation with the intent of gaining economic control/leverage.  The market it impacts is Europe, not the US.

The prices at the gas pumps argue otherwise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2022, 03:12:41 PM »
The prices at the gas pumps argue otherwise.

One could argue the US did that to itself.

Gas has been spiraling upwards ever since Biden got in office, as a byproduct of domestic policy.  Add to that a US embargo on Russian petroleum imports, which I believe accounts for around 3% of total US petroleum imports, and that will create far more than a 3% jump in price at the pump.

Part of why the world is likely to see a brief flirtation with $200 a barrel oil is because everyone wants to embargo Russian oil, and they're jockeying to redirect their supply chains with the least interruption.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2022, 03:16:18 PM »
An aside:

There's a stickied thread at the top of the politics section, regarding nicknames.  Does this apply to "Brandon" as well?  I would assume so but I'm pretty sure I've seen it here used casually, not sure if that one is somehow okay since the MSM more or less created it themselves.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »
An aside:

There's a stickied thread at the top of the politics section, regarding nicknames.  Does this apply to "Brandon" as well?  I would assume so but I'm pretty sure I've seen it here used casually, not sure if that one is somehow okay since the MSM more or less created it themselves.

Rule doesn't apply when the target thinks that is their name  :P
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2022, 03:32:39 PM »
An aside:

That's a good question... I can really see both sides of the argument.  I've raised the question with the moderators.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2022, 06:23:44 PM »
It’s the nicest thing we can call him.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2022, 06:27:43 PM »
One could argue the US did that to itself.

Gas has been spiraling upwards ever since Biden got in office, as a byproduct of domestic policy.  Add to that a US embargo on Russian petroleum imports, which I believe accounts for around 3% of total US petroleum imports, and that will create far more than a 3% jump in price at the pump.

Part of why the world is likely to see a brief flirtation with $200 a barrel oil is because everyone wants to embargo Russian oil, and they're jockeying to redirect their supply chains with the least interruption.
Environmental activists have been arguing that we should let the price of gas go sky high for a long time to make alternatives more attractive.  Yes, I think the US has control of our own oil costs if we choose to take control over it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
Environmental activists have been arguing that we should let the price of gas go sky high for a long time to make alternatives more attractive.  Yes, I think the US has control of our own oil costs if we choose to take control over it.

It appears we choose not to:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/transportation-secretary-pete-buttigieg-says-electric-transportation-cost-savings-americans

It seems to me that the administration is in full "never let a crisis go to waste" mode. This is their big chance to send billions into EV and public transport while blaming the ruskies for the high gas prices these policies will continue to cause long after this conflict is over.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2022, 07:09:38 PM »
Electric vehicles won't be popular until they are at entry-level pricing, instead of virtue-signaling pricing.

The first company that can produce a sub $10k electric "city car" is gonna make some bank.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2022, 08:04:55 PM »
Electric vehicles won't be popular until they are at entry-level pricing, instead of virtue-signaling pricing.

The first company that can produce a sub $10k electric "city car" is gonna make some bank.

There are no sub $10k ICE vehicles.  I wouldn't hold your breath for an EV.

The cheaper EV's are high 20's-low 30s.  Not entry level, but certainly low-mid level pricing for a new car.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2022, 08:34:34 PM »

The cheaper EV's are high 20's-low 30s.  Not entry level, but certainly low-mid level pricing for a new car.

What's out there in that price range?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2022, 08:48:30 PM »
It appears we choose not to:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/transportation-secretary-pete-buttigieg-says-electric-transportation-cost-savings-americans

It seems to me that the administration is in full "never let a crisis go to waste" mode. This is their big chance to send billions into EV and public transport while blaming the ruskies for the high gas prices these policies will continue to cause long after this conflict is over.

I'm at "fedpoast the *expletive deleted*it out of this"  and resisting valiantly.

*expletive deleted*ck that and *expletive deleted*ck him.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2022, 09:05:01 PM »
What's out there in that price range?

Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, Mini SE, Mazda MX-30, and I'm pretty sure one of the Hyandai Ioniq's is under 35k.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2022, 09:21:16 PM »
Iran nuclear deal possible soon, Russia's contribution constructive -Iranian spokesperson
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-nuclear-deal-possible-shortly-if-us-accepts-tehrans-points-iranian-2022-03-07/

Don't worry, reviving the Iran Nuclear Deal will save us all. 

Maybe this belongs in the "World has Gone Mad" thread. 

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2022, 09:26:53 PM »
Iran nuclear deal possible soon, Russia's contribution constructive -Iranian spokesperson
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-nuclear-deal-possible-shortly-if-us-accepts-tehrans-points-iranian-2022-03-07/

Don't worry, reviving the Iran Nuclear Deal will save us all. 

Maybe this belongs in the "World has Gone Mad" thread.

I'm this close to shaving my mustache, keeping the beard and joining the bloody Amish.  They seem to have their *expletive deleted*it together.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2022, 09:39:57 PM »
Saw the Tucker Carlson show tonight. Man, his monologue was on point. Strange that FOX keeps him around. He is practically on the dissident right these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MW6gp0aGY0

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2022, 10:23:44 PM »
Stop sending Lego toys to the Russkies?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40823622.html

That'll show 'em.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden