Author Topic: Justified  (Read 6603 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Justified
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »
I'm digging this show.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/justified/

I've like Timothy Oliphant ever since Deadwood.  The character he seems to play here is along the same lines, but without the conflict of the need to placate a powerful enemy/ally like Swearingen.

I'm hoping that Walton Goggins returns soon as "the villain."  I always liked him in The Shield.

Any other fans?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Justified
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »
Yup.  So very much like a Western but still modern. 
Gunplay was a little overblown in the episode where they got into it with the Supremicists.  But overall I'm digging the show, too.  I've really started enjoying the originals that FX and USA put out. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:39:55 AM »
I read some reviews, then watched the first episode, which was a bit of a let-down. I stuck with it, though, and the chemistry is starting to gel. Liked the escaped con who forgot where he stashed his loot, and rekindled the passion with his ex-stripper bride. Also a Walton Goggins fan.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »
Been watching since the beginning.  I like it.

I don't know Walton Goggins from other shows, but I liked him in Justified.  I hope he shows up some more.

Chris

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »
I first saw an ad for it yesterday and it looked pretty interesting. Got it on my DVR (best thing that ever happened to television) queue.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »
I've watched a few episodes.  I like it.  I got one more on the DVR to watch later today.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:49:26 PM »
Watched the first episode. It's going to need some good writing to elevate it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
He's gonna bust his own dad next week. 

Sounds like good writing to me. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »
Iain:

I had the same observation. I'd encourage you to follow up with the subsequent episodes.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 05:44:36 PM »
Iain:

I had the same observation. I'd encourage you to follow up with the subsequent episodes.

SADShooter

Will do then.

Suppose it can be a bit churlish to criticise shows for being formulaic, after all cop returns to his home town is a substantial part of the premise of Durham County too, and I liked that. Get all the pieces of the formula right and I'll watch it, even if it is 'renegade cop returns to his home town and is all renegade-y but not as renegade-y as his dad who is a proper renegade'.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
Just gave up on the first episode.  It started strong, but I couldn't get past the woman cheerfully describing the way her husband beats her.  Really goes against everything I've heard/read about domestic violence. 

But, yeah, if the writing gets better as others have said, maybe I tune back in laters. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »
Fisty, some folks revel in their victimhood.

Blog under construction

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
I been watching Justified via Hulu (Which is behind, so I wont be following this thread to avoid spoilars), and even I like it.
It's good stuff.
He sure wears an ugly hat, though.  Also, how does a man wear a pair of boots that don't match his hat?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:42 AM »
"What are you packin' nowadays?"

"You'll pay to find out."
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
OK, I missed the
Just gave up on the first episode.  It started strong, but I couldn't get past the woman cheerfully describing the way her husband beats her.  Really goes against everything I've heard/read about domestic violence. 

But, yeah, if the writing gets better as others have said, maybe I tune back in laters. 

OK, so I watched the last few episodes of the season.  It's pretty good, I guess.  I'm not exactly addicted, but I must say Boyd Crowder is a pretty fascinating antagonist, what with his conversion from white power terrorist to born-again anti-drug crusader. 

And they waited until the cliff-hanger in the last episode, to use the haunting "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive."  Nice touch.  Wondered when that would come in.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:18:09 PM by Fistful »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
Can't wait till the new season.  Great show.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
Was anyone else a little perplexed by Bo Crowder's escalation from menacing thug straight to mass murderer in the last episode?  He hasn't even beat anyone up so far and this episode he killed or had killed at least ten people.  A tip of the hat to Raylen for setting a new personal record for people killed in one episode as well (five).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
I think that the issue is we haven't seen enough of Bo's history.  He's not a nice dude.

Anyone else sad the season is over? If it gets canned, I may cry.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01:42 PM »
Honestly, there could be tears.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
NOTHING IMPORTANT
Boyd's pretty much the reason I watch the show now.  He's awesome.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.