Author Topic: "I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war"  (Read 11383 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: "I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war"
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 01:01:57 AM »
Powell's speech, delivered on February 5, 2003, made the case for the war by presenting U.S. intelligence that purported to prove that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. Wilkerson says the information in Powell's presentation initially came from a document he described as "sort of a Chinese menu" that was provided by the White House.
It was not the CIA that provided intel to Powell it was the Whitehouse.

So Powell works for the President, and was given some information. So far, no one's being accused of knowingly passing on false information. The next bit of the story is this:

Wilkerson and Powell spent four days and nights in a CIA conference room with then-Director George Tenet and other top officials trying to ensure the accuracy of the presentation, Wilkerson says.

This means that the White House (Powell) is asking the CIA (Tenet) to verify the information.

So where (in the article which you presented as proof of Bush administration mendacity) is the administration lying? Also, I note that when you presented this article, you quoted a passage that implicates the DIA as the weak link. Now, you say it's the White House.

I thank you for the other interesting information you've presented, but could you finish with your first source, please? I'm not even trying to get Bush off the hook, here. It just seems that, if it is way past time for war crimes charges, there should be a million news articles that make that case. And you picked the one that didn't even try? It's sloppy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:13:29 AM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 01:50:12 AM »
One of the chemo drugs I get is based on research into mustard agents.   It's very comforting to know that what I get intravenously, cyclophosphamide (aka Cytoxan), is based on what killed and maimed thousands in WWI.  =|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_mustard

So are/were we shipping them medicines or chemical agents ??
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:57:03 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:26 AM »
No, JJ, it was to avenge Saddam's plot to kill Bush I.

No, wait a minute. It was so we could get cheap gas.

No, that's not it. It was to boost GW's poll numbers.

That's not it, either. It was so Bush could fly a fighter plane again, when he went on the deck of the aircraft carrier.

I like this. Since Bush had more than one reason shifting justifications for his illegal war against the peaceful unicorn-herders of Iraq, it is fitting that his true, evil motive should be ever-changing. See, he even lies to himself! He is just that evil! (Because emphasizing different reasons at different times is the same as lying, you know.)

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife