Author Topic: Hypermiling  (Read 9886 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Hypermiling
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »
my steering and brakes aren't disabled  just no longer enhanced
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 05:57:20 AM »
Even tho they aren't totally non-functional, a vehicle designed around power steering and braking is really not safe to drive without them operating. Especially on a big enough downhill to coast at the speed limit.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 06:45:33 AM »
Congress should pass a law that says that all roads have to be downhill

Would you be terribly surprised if they did? 

Not in the slightest  rolleyes

With a manual transmission, I have on occasion shut off the key in gear for extra "braking" on very steep slopes.  It doesn't save any gas, though.

Heck, I've driven old trucks that the standard method of stopping was to shift into low gear and cut the ignition Cheesy
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 08:47:10 AM »
My first car was a '73 Pontiac . . . with the early "smogger" motor that barely ran.

I improved fuel economy by a solid 25% back then (and improved both drivability and horsepower) by applying the fixes revealed in "The Emission Control Bypass Manual."    angel

A friend had a '75 Valiant Dart (said Plymouth Valiant on one side, Dodge Dart on the other . . . he bought it new) with a straight-six engine and experienced even larger gains in economy and performance . . . and he had about 50 lbs. of leftover parts once he was through.

Sadly, today's cars are too complex for simple fixes . . .  sad
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 08:47:18 AM »
Texas Transportation Code § 545.406.  COASTING.  (a)  An operator moving on a downgrade may not coast with the gears or transmission of the vehicle in neutral. 

I'm still new to the manual transmission deal.  So long as the engine is running, why would that be illegal? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 08:57:30 AM »
I'd never heard of hypermiling and had to look it up.  It's a dumbass thing to do on several levels.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »
I'd never heard of hypermiling and had to look it up.  It's a dumbass thing to do on several levels.
Well, we can't all make nothing but intelligent decisions 24/7.  There'd be no Youtube.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

crt360

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
Texas Transportation Code § 545.406.  COASTING.  (a)  An operator moving on a downgrade may not coast with the gears or transmission of the vehicle in neutral. 

I'm still new to the manual transmission deal.  So long as the engine is running, why would that be illegal? 

It's a conspiracy to make you buy more gas.   laugh

Actually, even with the engine running, you're giving up a significant amount of control over the vehicle by not having it in gear.  Say you have a situation that requires you to brake and swerve to avoid some drunk biker that pulled out in front of you at a slow speed with no lights on, but you swerved in front of a dump truck that is now closing on you at 30 mph.  In your brief moment of terror you panic and slap the stick on your little car into 1st or 5th instead of 3rd.  Bang.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
Hypermiling would be great if it weren't for those pesky principles of physics and aerodynamics.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »

Actually, even with the engine running, you're giving up a significant amount of control over the vehicle by not having it in gear.  Say you have a situation that requires you to brake and swerve to avoid some drunk biker that pulled out in front of you at a slow speed with no lights on, but you swerved in front of a dump truck that is now closing on you at 30 mph.  In your brief moment of terror you panic and slap the stick on your little car into 1st or 5th instead of 3rd.  Bang.

It's kinda like waiting till you're getting into an accident, then trying to put your seat belt on.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 12:26:35 PM »
Ever seen the runaway truck ramps on Colorado mountain passes?  If you're coasting down a pass in neutral, and can't get it back in gear, your brakes are gonna fry, and you'll go flying off some mountain.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »
You guys think the coasting thing is silly, y'all oughta see the morons that try and "draft" my work truck on the pike.  I've had 6 priuses and a handful of other tards that think they're going to save big money hanging inches off my trailer.  rolleyes

Iain

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »
You guys think the coasting thing is silly, y'all oughta see the morons that try and "draft" my work truck on the pike.  I've had 6 priuses and a handful of other tards that think they're going to save big money hanging inches off my trailer.  rolleyes

this guy is saving a fortune in fuel
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

this guy is saving a fortune in fuel

Personally, I don't feel that natural locomotion is a practical solution to high gas price relief.  Furthermore, I bet the car that guy is drafting off can stop a whole heck of a lot faster then he can.  shocked

Iain

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:50 PM »
Furthermore, I bet the car that guy is drafting off can stop a whole heck of a lot faster then he can.  shocked

Which is why the boot is open.

Some guy has done over 150mph on a bicycle using this motor pacing technique, someone may have gone faster. Yes it works for cars, no it isn't a good idea, but it could in theory save a lot of fuel - don't cyclists in team events use a drafting technique to massively reduce the amount of work the main guy has to do throuhgout the bulk of the stage? Mythbusters had Tori coasting at 20mph on a bike behind a truck.

Back on topic - I've seen, or been involved with a number of near accidents where acceleration was the key to getting out of trouble. In one instance with my brother driving - he was overtaking a car on a dual carriageway doing a legal 70, the other car was doing 65-ish. Ahead a car pulled out of a side road, across both lanes and into a central area to join traffic coming in the opposite direction to us. Trouble was, he left half of his car hanging out into the lane we were in. Brother accelerated hard to finish overtaking and then pulled left sharpish. We'd have never stopped in time. Engine on is good.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »
Mythbusters demonstrated that drafting dramatically increases gas mileage. It also dramatically increases rear-ending the car one is drafting.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »
Suggestion:

Bump your tire pressure just a tad - not more than a few pounds over the recommendation.

Learn how to drive -smoothly- so that you're not doing a lot of stopping and starting. Accelerate slowly to get to speed. If you see an intersection coming, take the dang foot offa da gas...

Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
Yeah, I've had some idiots try and draft off of me, like they think they are NASCAR drivers or something...

I DON'T want my beautiful red truck damaged if I have to slam on the brakes. I'd severely injure the idiot drafting me after the cop had left, and I had gotten the insurance information.

This hypermiling thing sounds like it'd be damaging to your drivetrain...no thanks... The reason you still have brakes and steering after power assist has failed is to enable you to come to a safe stop out of the way. I've also had instances where I needed immediate acceleration or braking to jump in a hole in traffic in the other lane to avoid some idiot...

Start driving smoother...like Bogie said, and keep your vehicle maintained. Or get a vehicle that gets higher MPG...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!