Author Topic: Need help. Ethernet connectivity on an old Compaq Presario  (Read 7005 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Need help. Ethernet connectivity on an old Compaq Presario
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 02:15:47 AM »
Okay team, everything reloaded and running happily EXCEPT the two items labeled Network Controller and Ethernet Controller in the device manager (for which I have intentionally NOT loaded the drivers yet).

All the documentation says this thing has a RealTek 8139/810x integrated NIC but all the drivers I tried today had WinXP screaming they were incorrect for the device (even though after I force-installed installed them the device said it was working and would recognize a network connection, just not actually, you know, connect.)

Suggestions before I do anything else?

Again, to reiterate... a Compaq Presario V5303NR.  Nothing other than the factory original gadgetry and with a fresh install of WinXP Home and nothing but updated drivers loaded.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:37 AM »
1: swap the memory.  As in, switch the modules around and see if crashes happen at different times based on which module is in the first slot.
2: Try turning DHCP off and setting it up manually.  Sometimes DHCP just won't cooperate, and this is generally faster than tracking down the problem.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 05:22:16 AM »
have you tried this driver yet? ???

Yep, that very one.

1: swap the memory.  As in, switch the modules around and see if crashes happen at different times based on which module is in the first slot.
2: Try turning DHCP off and setting it up manually.  Sometimes DHCP just won't cooperate, and this is generally faster than tracking down the problem.

It's not crashing now.  Stable as a rock.  I don't think DHCP is the issue.  I'm beginning to think the chipset has futzed and simply isn't going to recognize the driver no matter what nasty looks I give it.  I think it's time for a USB NIC and call it good.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 06:38:07 AM »
I'm not a wizard but I was starting to wonder if it might be a hardware issue too.  Post what happens if you try a USB NIC.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 06:43:51 AM »
It's not crashing now.  Stable as a rock.

No such thing.  Your intermittent failure has simply gone into temporary remission.  It might be a conductivity issue; try dumping a handful of aluminum filings on the board and see if you can duplicate the problem from earlier.

I don't think DHCP is the issue.  I'm beginning to think the chipset has futzed and simply isn't going to recognize the driver no matter what nasty looks I give it.  I think it's time for a USB NIC and call it good.

That's no fun.  Get one of these as a starting point: http://www.buy.com/prod/io-crest-sy-pci10004-pci-multi-i-o-1-parallel-port-pci-32-bit-card/q/sellerid/15743316/loc/101/215998162.html

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »
Did you actually load the chipset drivers themselves?  They should be loaded first, before any of the other drivers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
Yes.  Chipset drivers, then the BIOS update, then all other drivers one at a time, and rebooting in between each driver.

It's hosed.  I've spent hours on this thing, enough to justify simply getting another cheapo used machine.  A $25 USB NIC should solve the problem nicely and save me wasting any more time.

Brad
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »
A $25 USB NIC should solve the problem nicely and save me wasting any more time.

Brad

Sounds like a plan.  Good luck, and here's hoping nothing else dies on the machine anytime soon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »
One cheapo $25 USB nic (cable, not WiFi) and it's humming merrily along loading Windows updates as I type.

Brad
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »
That's great, Brad.  I am glad it's working for you.

Now where did I put that note with Brad's IP address, and where's my malware upload CD?  >:D   :lol:

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
And this reply is being made directly from the machine in question.  Windoze all updated and MSE loaded, updated, and running. We'll see how long it takes for him to crap it out this time.

Brad
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:15 AM »
Have you actually uninstalled TCP/IP from the network adapter properties? I'm thinking a corrupted stack.

Leave IPX/SPX as a placeholder or NETBUI, and reboot with TCP/IP gone, then re-add it.

See if that does anything.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 02:59:19 AM »
Yes, I did.  It's a hardware problem.

The external NIC works, and works well. Problem solved and I don't have to spent another second messing with it.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Resurrecting this for one of those don't-know-whether-to-laugh-or-cry updates.

After getting this machine up and running again, everything was peachy keen.  Friend's son was back online and friend was thrilled that his son wasn't using  Mom & Dad's machine.

Until...

Last week son had a temper tantrum over something pathetically incedental and bounced the computer off a wall.  Dead computer (and it didn't do the wall any favors, either).  My friend isn't exactly thrilled but, to his credit, he told the kid "Sorry, you had a fit and broke it.  You're not coming over to mooch time on Mom and Dad's machine anymore.  Go to the library."  Upon receiving the news Kid had another tantrum and punched a hole in his best friend's bedroom door, a door in a house where he was staying FOR FREE as a favor so he could get his financial feet back under him.

Brad
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
That kid sounds like a winner!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »
charlie sheen has a kid? [tinfoil]

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »
Last week son had a temper tantrum over something pathetically incedental and bounced the computer off a wall.  Dead computer (and it didn't do the wall any favors, either).  My friend isn't exactly thrilled but, to his credit, he told the kid "Sorry, you had a fit and broke it.  You're not coming over to mooch time on Mom and Dad's machine anymore.  Go to the library."  Upon receiving the news Kid had another tantrum and punched a hole in his best friend's bedroom door, a door in a house where he was staying FOR FREE as a favor so he could get his financial feet back under him.

Lulz.

My brother tried something similar to me, about 10 years ago when I got out of college and was staying with my parents (and him) at my parents house.  I was left to keep an eye on him (he was a HS freshman at the time) and we had a dispute about something little that escalated to fisticuffs.  It was a very short escalation and I put him in a behind the back armlock, walked him up to his bedroom and pushed him in. =D  He started breaking random things in his bedroom as a result.

Including deliberately bashing his head against the closet door and cracking the veneer of the door in a circle-shape.

Parents come home a couple days later and he tells them some BS story about how I threw him into the door.  Parents believed his side of the story for years.  For a couple years, they still wanted me to give them money to replace the damaged closet door.  The farthest I agreed to do at one point was give them half, but only if my brother paid the other half FIRST.  It was a point of honor, to me.  They never got that other half from him, so they never got it from me.  They finally believe me now.

I'm 190 pounds, 6'3" tall.  I can't throw ANYONE 10 feet across a room. :lol:

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!