Author Topic: I like Wisconsin, and won't miss Florida as much as I thought.  (Read 3581 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Well, I'll miss the oysters and buffalo wings, but everything else is fast becoming a memory.

We've settled into our new digs near a little town called Token Creek.  Token Creek's main claim to fame is the hot air balloon company, otherwise it's a sleepy little burgh.  Our commute to work in Madison is maybe 30 minutes on a bad traffic day.  Madison itself is rather amusing, a liberal hotbed that gives me the giggles, I really need that bumper sticker that states, "Madison - 70 square miles surrounded by reality".  Monkeyleg, I'll be ready to assist you in the WGO efforts once the movers get my professional color laser printer delivered.

Speaking of traffic, I've been filling my dual-fuel S-10 with E-85 ethanol at $2.09 a gallon.  I just wish my stepson's 5.7L 4x4 Suburban would run on the stuff.  $120+ fillups on the ass-wagon U-boat make me wish he didn't owe the bank for the car loan.  

I just flew back to Florida last Monday to meet the movers and clean out our old military housing unit (now privately leased, in a definitely failed experiment).  The air conditioner runs constantly just to keep 78 degrees on the thermometer, and cutting the lawn, edging, and trimming brings on a running sweat within minutes.  The gnats form a visible cloud, and I spend a lot of time cleaning the dogs of ticks.

Things here in Satellite Beach have really degraded in the last three months. My former military housing neighborhood just south of Patrick has the streets barricaded off on one end, no working streetlights, dead cars on the yards, and police cars answering complaints all night long.  The neighbors across the street were asked to leave, the 13 year old girl and her mom were just a bit too promiscuous for the property managers, so their lease was broken just to get them out of here. Several of the male tenants (including a few GI's with high security clearances) on the street are genuinely sad to see them leave, and I watched with amusement as they helped her pack the moving van. When I told the leasing office I would be moving out on the 3rd of August, the manager wanted the full month of August's rent.  Since my unit is scheduled to be demolished later in the month, I told him  "No" in no uncertain terms, I'm on a month-to-month lease, and referred to his domain as "The Projects".  He will try to bill me in Wisconsin.  I'll consider it junk mail destined for the shredder.

But I've made some dear friends in Florida, and will maintain contact with them, by hook or by crook.  I might come back to visit, but I wouldn't live in this neck of the woods again.  The country life in Token Creek is just fine by me.  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cosine

• Administrator
I like Wisconsin, and won't miss Florida as much as I thought.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:04:21 AM »
See, Wisconsin's not all that bad. Cheesy
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:08:45 AM »
I had a dog when I lived in Palm Beach. Best thing I ever did for it was to move it up here away from the ticks and fleas. Good luck in the new digs!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 09:41:36 AM »
Don't give out too much info where you live or you might find an Iowegian knocking on your door when I go on my next Spotted Cow run. My inventory is depleated and probably won't get any until early september, so don't drink the brewery dry.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
Spotted Cow is already in the new place's fridge, as is Fat Squirrel.  I also have a bunch of Leinenkugels in there. However, I am bringing a couple cases of Yuengling with me next week, seems they don't distribute it anywhere but the East Coast and Kalifornia. Too bad, I'll wager there's some Wisconsinites who would appreciate it besides myself. Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:23:12 AM »
I'll have to have a "get to know your fellow APS'er" at the Lodi range sometime soon, preferably before deer season.  I'm sorely in need of trigger time, the G-98 arsenal hasn't seen much action since 2005, and that was spotty since the hurricanes of 2004 wiped out a few ranges in Brevard and Indian River counties.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:26:52 AM »
Correction, WEST Palm Beach. There's a difference. Tongue

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »
Upstate New York on the Yuengling, I know you can get it in Syracuse, I don't know about farther than that.

Hah, that reminds me, Hyde Park NY there is a discount liquor store that boasts "1800" different beers. I aked the guy for Yuengling, He never heard of it. rolleyes They DID have San Miguel though. Cheesy

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 12:09:29 PM »
I'm going to be reminding you of this thread along about the end of next January.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Preacherman

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 12:20:12 PM »
You beat me to it, S_W . . . about the middle of blizzard season, let's recall this thread from the archives and ask Gewehr if he still means it! Cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 12:43:17 PM »
LOL...good idea! Cheesy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 12:44:20 PM »
You can remind me all you want.  I was born and raised about 50 miles to the northwest of Madison, and have missed the seasonal climate changes for the last 20+ years.  During a few -20 to -40 nights, I used to take my '60 Chevy pickup's battery into my bedroom at night, turn the block heater on, and have a blanket over the windshield so I would get to college on time.  I have missed the snow and cold since the first time I was stationed in Florida back in 1986, the only respite being my sorties recovering at Eielson AFB, Elmendorf AFB, Misawa AB, or Ramstein/Rhein Main AB during the winters.  I seriously considered buying some retirement property in Fairbanks, AK, but the other half is from Orange County, PRK and didn't want to go that far north.  So Wisconsin it was, cold nights to me are just another reason to snuggle with Mrs. G-98, and my two stepsons are itching to get Devil's Head, Cascade, and Christmas Mountain lift tickets for their snowboards.  My Wankel-powered Rupp Nitro will finally get to  see some activity after being stored in a barn all those years.  Cheesy

Looks very much like this one:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 12:50:56 PM »
They oput a Wankel in a snowmobile? COOL!! I never knew that. I used to have a Mazda RX-3 with a Wankel. That thing would rap right up to 11,000 RPM and had a flat torque curve all the way up. I had two cops tell me one night that the best they could do was keep up with me. Then they let me go. Cheesy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 12:50:57 PM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
I'm going to be reminding you of this thread along about the end of next January.
Hey, you know, the last several winters here in Wisconsin seem to me to have been pretty mild.
Andy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 01:42:52 PM »
Welcome back to tax hell Tongue
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 02:09:12 PM »
Gewehr98, a second welcome back to Tax Hell. Wink Or, as Governor Doyle likes to put it, the best state that money can buy.

Not sure if I understood you correctly about the WGO comment. If you meant going after Executive Director, he seems to provide his own "friendly fire" ammo all by himself.

If, on the other hand, you mean helping with the CCW effort, you'll be welcomed by everyone with open arms.

It's a good thing you don't live in Madison itself. I think that ultra-liberal mindset is some kind of communicable disease.

The only good thing about Madison is looking at the college co-eds. But when they start talking, I lose interest.

Please tell me the photo of the snowmobiles is a dealership, and not your own garage. Please. No garage can be that clean.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 03:25:40 PM »
Wisconsin has mountains that allow snowboarding?  Now I didn't know that.  Having never been there, I assumed it was like much of the rest of the Midwest and was relatively flat.  I have been told that the snoeshowing and XC skiing up there is wonderful with all of the light fluffy snow, unlike the Cascade Concrete that we get on this side of the Cascades.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 03:45:01 PM »
Wisconsin has mountains that allow snowboarding?
Several, some within 1/2 hour of Milwaukee, one of them 5 minutes from my house, though those are more like very large hills and deep valleys (kettle moraines is the technical term) than mountains that run up the east central part of the state.

The north 1/2 of the state and parts of Upper Michigan are dominated by geologically very old mountains.  The the only really flat land in Wisconsin is is bordering Iowa and Illinois or some of the vast swamplands  and cranberry bogs in the north.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 03:54:48 PM »
Monkeyleg, I meant my professional color laser will be ready to help Wisconsin CCW efforts vs. just taking their money, like Executive Director does for the "other" cause. As I stated before, it does 1200dpi full-bleed color from letter through legal all the way up to tabloid.  I got it when NASA dumped it for a bad fuser cartridge.  $25.00 later I was in business, and toner cartridges cost me between $10-20, each one good for about 5,000 pages.  That's cheaper than a color inkjet, and the image quality is unbelievable in comparison. With the fuser onboard, paper quality really isn't that much of an issue, either.

Yeah, I even worked a winter at Devil's Head resort renting out skis.  While not Squaw Valley or Big Bear, Wisconsin actually has a few ski resorts in the Baraboo Bluffs region that do a good job satiating one's need for snowboarding, etc.  I loved working at Devil's Head, because after the paying public was kicked off the slopes for the night, the employees could ski until 1 or 2 AM depending on how well one treated the lift operators.  Management thought it was a nice employee benefit, plus we could often find the skis and poles lost by renters during the day.

No, not my garage, that's somebody's snowmobile museum, a good place to find 1970's vintage equipment like mine.  I now have a 2 car garage in our new place, but it'll probably be a one-car garage once I get all the reloading equipment, snowmobile, Shovelhead, lawn tractor and workshop located therein. The wife doesn't want me to have the reloading bench in the den, I had it in the family room back in Florida.

Strings

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »
>The only good thing about Madison is looking at the college co-eds. But when they start talking, I lose interest.<

Dick... they're not ALL bad. You should have met the young lady we were sitting with the day Sherman stabbed us in the back: cute as a button, and VERY pro-CCW...

G-98: didn't realize you rode! If you think you'll have the shovel up by late September, we'll be doing a charity run: your enterance (and crash space, if needed) is taken care of!

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 06:35:23 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
No, not my garage, that's somebody's snowmobile museum, a good place to find 1970's vintage equipment like mine.  I now have a 2 car garage in our new place, but it'll probably be a one-car garage once I get all the reloading equipment, snowmobile, Shovelhead, lawn tractor and workshop located therein. The wife doesn't want me to have the reloading bench in the den, I had it in the family room back in Florida.
Since you are a motorcycle guy, there used to be an annual ride starting in Boscobel, a bit west of you.  I think it was a spin off from the DoD stuff from rec.motorcycles.

You might try asking here:  http://wisconsinmotorcycling.com/

Anyway there are great roads around there for riding, way better than Florida for riding.  You'll need a sport bike.

Added:  You are really close to this place:  http://www.thehouseontherock.com/

It's worth a visit.

There is also the EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh, which finishes this weekend, but do plan on it for next year.
http://www.airventure.org/
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 09:44:32 PM »
Yuengling?  you are holding Yuengling..  hmm  so whats your address?

Fat Squirrel?  good stuff? WI beer?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Strings

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
Fat Squirrel is ok, but I MUCH prefer Spotted Cow...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 01:43:54 AM »
What you guys need to do is take a pilgramage to the nearest Busch Gardens and see how they make Budweiser. You'll never touch another brand of beer again. Ok MAYBE a Yuengling or a San Miguel but the REST of those beers? Tongue

BTW, speaking of places to go, but in Florida, Did Gewehr ever make it to Trapper Nelson's compound at Jonathan Dickenson State Park in Jupiter? It takes a canoe to get there but well worth the trip.

Strings

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »
Bud? You're comparing Bud to something like Spotted Cow? Lemmie guess: given the choice between a Chevy and a Rolls, you go for the Chevy?