Author Topic: Mandatory voting bill introduced  (Read 1014 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Mandatory voting bill introduced
« on: April 20, 2022, 10:37:28 AM »
John Larson (CT), who never met a liberal agenda or Social Justice cause he didn't support, has introduced a bill to mandate voting.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/national/bill-requiring-eligible-citizens-to-vote-in-elections-introduced-to-congress/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=kamc&fbclid=IwAR3dM7BL8RocWIHiNjOF37BCOGrJjjsMtPsXZcZ0Q3XEltWZ2hvnPDK_VT4

Liberals, of course, are thrilled because it means those pesky Conservatives can't suppress voter rights (you know, like mandating an enumerated right and stuff...).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Mandatory voting bill introduced
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 11:45:53 AM »
Needs a counter-bill.

Votes are tallied with "nobody" or "no vote" being a legitimate reason to leave the office vacant.

If only 60% of an electorate (say 100k people) vote at all, that means 40k people effectively voted for nobody.  Unless a candidate has a landslide of 67% among the voters and has more than 40k votes, the office is vacant and nobody wins.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 11:59:52 AM »
People who have low motivation to vote usually vote leftist.  That is what this is about.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 12:03:23 PM »
This kind of thing is a hallmark of all the free and open election systems I can think of.  USSR, 1990's Iraq, Libya, Iran.....all the countries we strive to be like.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 12:08:25 PM »
Needs a counter-bill.

Votes are tallied with "nobody" or "no vote" being a legitimate reason to leave the office vacant.

If only 60% of an electorate (say 100k people) vote at all, that means 40k people effectively voted for nobody.  Unless a candidate has a landslide of 67% among the voters and has more than 40k votes, the office is vacant and nobody wins.

The USSR was like this apperently.

This kind of thing is a hallmark of all the free and open election systems I can think of.  USSR, 1990's Iraq, Libya, Iran.....all the countries we strive to be like.

Counterpoint, Australia has mandatory voting.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 12:47:31 PM »
The USSR was like this apperently.

Counterpoint, Australia has mandatory voting.

Uh....
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 01:00:14 PM »
Prediction: Someone tries to amend it so that any non-votes count for the incumbent.
Blog under construction

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 01:11:41 PM »
Needs a counter-bill.

I don't have the source handy, but a number of years ago, a candidate for some local office had his name legally changed to "None of the Above" so it would appear as such on the ballot.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 01:37:18 PM »
Prediction: Someone tries to amend it so that any non-votes count for the incumbent.

That would, of course, be suspended anytime a non-leftist is the incumbent.
Formerly sumpnz

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 02:06:10 PM »
Needs a counter-bill.

"it's not like anybody's going to die if we don't have a president."  -- poorly recollected quote from some bit of anarchist fiction.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 02:09:49 PM »
Uh....
Two years ago I'd have agreed with Nick.  Now ... yeah ... not much of a counterpoint.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 02:38:03 PM »
Two years ago I'd have agreed with Nick.  Now ... yeah ... not much of a counterpoint.

Ah, has Australia slid into an authoritarian mess?  This is what I get for not watching the news.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 03:37:30 PM »
Ah, has Australia slid into an authoritarian mess?  This is what I get for not watching the news.

Their Covid response has been pretty jack-boot central.
Formerly sumpnz