Author Topic: Imagine that the United States were to leave the UN tomorrow...  (Read 1746 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Imagine that the United States were to leave the UN tomorrow...
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:38:56 AM »
Effective immediately. What do you think would happen? Short term? Long term?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

griz

• friend
Re: Imagine that the United States were to leave the UN tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
Short term:  little change, all parties will say the same things they've been saying for decades.
Long term:  lacking financial backing they will dissolve.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
The world would become a better place.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Short term:  little change, all parties will say the same things they've been saying for decades.
Long term:  lacking financial backing they will dissolve.

This.  The UN is pretty much nothing more than a wealth redistribution scheme and debate society.  Backed by the US dollar.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:29:11 AM »
Effective immediately. What do you think would happen? Short term? Long term?

I saw this last night but I wanted to think about it. Having done so, my response this morning is the same as it would have been last night.

Short term ==> No change.

Long term ==> No change.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
Who has the authority to get the U.S. out of the U.N? President or congress?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
Who has the authority to get the U.S. out of the U.N? President or congress?

I'm guessing Congress. Ron Paul introduced legislation that would've ended US membership and participation in the UN.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
This.  The UN is pretty much nothing more than a wealth redistribution scheme and debate society.  Backed by the US dollar.
With apologies to columnist Nicholas von Hoffman:

To its committed members (the Democratic Party) The United Nations was still the party organization of heart, humanity, and justice, but to those removed a few paces it looked like Captain Hook’s crew – ambulance-chasing lawyers, rapacious public policy grants persons, civil rights gamesmen, ditzy-brained movie stars, fat-assed civil servant desk squatters, recovering alcoholics, recovering wife-beaters, recovering child-buggers, and so forth and so on, a grotesque line-up of ill-mannered self-pitying, caterwauling freeloaders banging their tin cups on the pavement demanding handouts.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:25 PM »
Could we at least get the UN out of the United States?

As for leaving the organization

- short term there would be all sorts of resolutions calling for us to be horsewhipped, pilloried, have our crops and bank accounts confiscated, and for folks to stop trading with us.  Either the quality of merchansise at WalMart would improve (along with price increases) or China would tell the rest of the UN to go pound sand.

- long term it all depends on if we make them pay their parking/traffic tickets before they spend any more money.  Just that ought to bankrupt most of the member nations.  Seriously, long term effects would be gradual and incremental global collapse when the US is no longer paying for other nations to send thiefs, rapists, and murders to a country other than the one they come from.  Tin-pot dictators would flee to wherever they thought they could  when tere is no more money to be made from selling emergency aid stuffs.  Civil wars and the (re-)creation of robber baron states.  The XL pipeline would be completed from Oklahoma to the Gulf of Mexico, but petroleum products would not be exported (except maybe to (f)GB).  Russia becomes the Evil Empire again until it collapses economically - again.

Most impotantly, satellite TV would not be interrupted by that Russian exercise lady.

Latino illegal immigration would continue but be overwhelmed by folks from the rest of the world floating across the oceans on leaky inner tubes, fleeing economic and political turmoil at home.

Yes, I am an optimist.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »
Could we at least get the UN out of the United States?

As for leaving the organization

- short term there would be all sorts of resolutions calling for us to be horsewhipped, pilloried, have our crops and bank accounts confiscated, and for folks to stop trading with us.  Either the quality of merchansise at WalMart would improve (along with price increases) or China would tell the rest of the UN to go pound sand.

- long term it all depends on if we make them pay their parking/traffic tickets before they spend any more money.  Just that ought to bankrupt most of the member nations.  Seriously, long term effects would be gradual and incremental global collapse when the US is no longer paying for other nations to send thiefs, rapists, and murders to a country other than the one they come from.  Tin-pot dictators would flee to wherever they thought they could  when tere is no more money to be made from selling emergency aid stuffs.  Civil wars and the (re-)creation of robber baron states.  The XL pipeline would be completed from Oklahoma to the Gulf of Mexico, but petroleum products would not be exported (except maybe to (f)GB).  Russia becomes the Evil Empire again until it collapses economically - again.

Most impotantly, satellite TV would not be interrupted by that Russian exercise lady.

Latino illegal immigration would continue but be overwhelmed by folks from the rest of the world floating across the oceans on leaky inner tubes, fleeing economic and political turmoil at home.

Yes, I am an optimist.

stay safe.

A rosy optimist
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
A rosy optimist

Are you saying that Global Armageddon/TEOTWAWKI is a bad thing?  (I've been stocking up on TP and feminine hygiene products that I intend to barter for "stuff".  I've probably got the biggest supply of Big Lots' single-ply in the tri-state area.  =D )

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.