Author Topic: Of Archeology and Climate Change  (Read 4125 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Of Archeology and Climate Change
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
I like to read articles like this, not just because of the discoveries themselves, but because they're such great indicators of natural phenomena, like climate cycling. 10,000 years is pretty much the blink of an eye for sea level change like this.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/08/14/ancient-monolith-suggests-humans-lived-on-now-underwater-archipelago/?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Of Archeology and Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
Too bad Al Gore wasn't around to save them.  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
In the mid- 80s I found an Indian grind stone in about 35 feet of water a little north of Bird Rock, La Jolla CA.  The rectangular stone has a man made grip worked into one corner, a finger grip/swell on the bottom and palm scoop on the top.  The stone was wedged into a horizontal crack in the rocks as if stashed for later use, then forgotten.  I later gave the stone to a housemate/dive buddy who worked for Near Shore Processes, who passed it on to Pat Masters, the bosses wife for whom he also dove.  Masters estimate the stone's age at 8000 years.  As I destroyed the context of the find, the stone has little scientific value.  Last I heard, it is a doorstop. Grrrr!
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
Forgot where I read it but some group doing unrelated work in the Red Sea found the remains of a small fortress\watchpost about a klick from the now coast.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »
At one time the entire middle of the country was a vast inland sea. The marine animal fossils in our local limestone are testament to that.
Things *expletive deleted*ing change.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 08:49:43 AM »
BS. Everyone knows that the Earth, and everything on it, is no more than 6,500 years old, as the Bible teaches us.

And Central Park was the Garden of Eden, and George and Martha Washington were Adam and Eve.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »
It also suggests that artifacts from ancient civilizations may be underwater, and may require divers to excavate them, both Paz and Lodolo said.

Gee, ya think?

I'm constantly amazed that people are amazed that the earth yawns and stretches once in a while and rearranges the furniture.

'Geological processes are very slow until they become very fast."
--Pyotrzebi Grosnotchovic, MA, MS, PhD, MD, MBA, LLD, DDS.  Postdoctoral Thesis on Krakatoan Dynamics, 1884

Terry
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:02:38 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
'Geological processes are very slow until they become very fast."
--Pyotrzebi Grosnotchovic, MA, MS, PhD, MD, MBA, LLD, DDS.  Postdoctoral Thesis on Krakatoan Dynamics, 1884

Well,   yeaaaa-ahh! [tinfoil] :O

;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
Forgot where I read it but some group doing unrelated work in the Red Sea found the remains of a small fortress\watchpost about a klick from the now coast.

Thinking about this a bit. It doesn't mean the shoreline shifted, the watchpost could have been sitting on a sandbar that eroded or perhaps at the end of an artificial harbor that eroded or was maybe built on a barge as an EWS\OP to give the people on shore time to react to a raid. That eventually sank.

In the latter scenario though, would you put a stone structure on a wooden barge? Is there any point to that? Offhand I can't think of any similar things.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »
the only constant is change.  The planet has warmed,  and cooled, countless times in the billions of years it has existed.  That won't change.  How we deal with, or do NOT deal with climate change, won't matter a damn bit.  Some folks are certainly out to get rich with the issue though. 
For some humor, read this 'scientific' article from the miami Biscayne Times.  Scroll down to find the cover story.

http://www.biscaynetimes.com/images/stories/art_0615/bt_0615.pdf

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »
Individual locations have risen or sunk in the past.  Houston was shown to be sinking before they shut down most of the ground water wells and set up the local reservoirs and lakes.  Just saying it isn't always a continental process.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
It also suggests that artifacts from ancient civilizations may be underwater, and may require divers to excavate them, both Paz and Lodolo said.
Atlantis confirmed for having existed! Now we need to find it, and uncover their secret technologies!
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »
--Pyotrzebi Grosnotchovic, MA, MS, PhD, MD, MBA, LLD, DDS.

Talk about a professional student!
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 12:07:36 AM »
Was it Belzoni who moved a huge Egyptian obelisk and lost it at sea in the Med? Sometime in the 1800's?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 12:46:34 AM »
Talk about a professional student!

Yeah, I was going to have to start making up degrees, or include some Knighthoods, so I left it at that.  (That whole quote was made-up out of thin air.)

For some humor, read this 'scientific' article from the miami Biscayne Times.  Scroll down to find the cover story.

http://www.biscaynetimes.com/images/stories/art_0615/bt_0615.pdf

Link doesn't work for me.  ???

Terry
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:01:01 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:54 AM »
And Central Park was the Garden of Eden, and George and Martha Washington were Adam and Eve.

They got snakes in Central Park?

Gaack! One more reason never to go to New York City.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
"Pyotrzebi Grosnotchovic, MA, MS, PhD, MD, MBA, LLD, DDS.  Postdoctoral Thesis on Krakatoan Dynamics, 1884"

Whan thot a prilla a swithen Pyotrzebi, the burgid prilly gives a heebie Jeebie.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 08:02:09 PM »
At one time the entire middle of the country was a vast inland sea. The marine animal fossils in our local limestone are testament to that.
Things *expletive deleted*ing change.

Also it is theorized that the continent at the time of that sea was located on the equator.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 09:04:30 AM »
"Pyotrzebi Grosnotchovic, MA, MS, PhD, MD, MBA, LLD, DDS.  Postdoctoral Thesis on Krakatoan Dynamics, 1884"

Whan thot a prilla a swithen Pyotrzebi, the burgid prilly gives a heebie Jeebie.

Say whut?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Yeah, I was going to have to start making up degrees, or include some Knighthoods, so I left it at that.  (That whole quote was made-up out of thin air.)

Terry

Terry,

You are hereby awarded the Honorary Degree of JSPS.  It is the most rarely awarded degree, given usually no more than twice in a hundred years.

stay safe.

http://gardenoflifetemple.com/WordPlay/Acronyms.html

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/notebook.htm - see note "FAITH IN HOLLYWOOD" Feature Article by GREG WRIGHT

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 05:23:37 PM »
Terry,

You are hereby awarded the Honorary Degree of JSPS.  It is the most rarely awarded degree, given usually no more than twice in a hundred years.

stay safe.

http://gardenoflifetemple.com/WordPlay/Acronyms.html

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/notebook.htm - see note "FAITH IN HOLLYWOOD" Feature Article by GREG WRIGHT

I'd like to thank all the little people...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »
Say whut?

Guy's first name reminded me of a Mad Magazine thingy (it actually had his first name as part of it as I wrote above) that stuck in my head from around 1959 or 60 or thereabouts.  Funny how I remember important stuff like that and I can't remember why I just stood up out of my chair to do something...usually before I'm completely out of the chair.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
Guy's first name reminded me of a Mad Magazine thingy (it actually had his first name as part of it as I wrote above) that stuck in my head from around 1959 or 60 or thereabouts.  Funny how I remember important stuff like that and I can't remember why I just stood up out of my chair to do something...usually before I'm completely out of the chair.

Someone is seriously behind in their hokey pokey and go go girl headshake quotas...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
 :old: :old: [popcorn]