Author Topic: An Unemployed Bum!  (Read 2479 times)

Moondoggie

• friend
An Unemployed Bum!
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:43:25 PM »
This week my wife and I decided to pull the plug on our trucking biz.

Expenses and hassels just made it not such a good deal, and not enjoyable anymore.  Don't get me started on the taxes...gag!  I've been trucking for 8 yrs now since I retired from the service, and to tell the truth, I'm tired of being away from home even if it's only for 3 days a week as I've been doing for the past 40 months or so.  The 3 yrs that my wife teamed with me were the best.

We have enough left in the business to pay ourselves the usual salary for 6 months or so, plus the value of the tractor & trailer when we sell them (they're debt free).  I'm going to pull the 5.5kw diesel genset and keep it.  Since we're an S Corp, we've been paying into state/fed unemployment.  I may have to get some of that back, depending upon what the in's and out's of that system are.

In the meantime, I'm in the job market.  Our town has an opening on the 10 man PD at $12.50/hr.  I'm going to submit an app.     police     

Our locally owned supermarket is looking for a bakery dept mgr.  I'm going in to talk with the owner tomorrow.  Upsides are that it's 6 blocks from the house, and I love to cook and worked as a baker in my HS days.  I have a BA in BusAdmin.   Downside is that the store owner is known as something as a difficult personality.  We'll see.

At this stage in life and finances, as long as I make $24K (in addition to my retirement) we're doing just fine.  All of my debt (zero interest car loan) will be gone next year, so I'm pretty sure we're not going to face starvation or privation.

Last resort is going back to truck driving.  I can work for any outfit for 6 months, and bank enough to take 12 months off.

Something will turn up.....it always has.  I haven't been out of work a day in my life in the last 40 yrs.

Known from coast to coast, almost!

Paddy

Re: An Unemployed Bum!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:55:42 PM »
Good on you!  I like it when people take control of their own lives.   

Ron

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
Good luck!!

Me too! I left my job in March and am taking the summer off.

I might get a part time job just for pin money (as gramma used to say).

Do some side jobs as they come up, whatever. I am starting to get a little stir crazy though.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:02:07 PM »
If you like driving, see if they are hiring school bus drivers at the school or at the autoparts store.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:04:47 PM »
Good job on having your head/finances together.

But, sheesh!!  $12.50 for being a cop?  That's terrible
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »
I thought he meant Al Gore. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 07:09:33 PM »
Campers, being "out of work" can be liberating...

I got laid off the week my girlfriend had some gnarsty surgical complications. That was back last August. We're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm guessing August before it starts doing anything concrete.

Starting my own business, and I think it'll be fun. And interesting. That's the hard part.

This past year, even with the learning how to do things like injections, tube changes, etc., etc., has been very therapeutic... I was in a downward spiral of corporate hell...

I've been self-employed before. Can't bitch at the boss, but hey...

Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 08:37:31 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:33:10 AM »
Well, OddTodd was...um, interesting.

I went to speak with the owner of the grocery store today.  He filled the bakery dept mgr position 2 hours before I showed up.  I think he would have hired me, and we could have negotiated a salary that would have worked.  He would have been willing to pay me more in exchange for not signing up for his benefit pkg that costs him $900/mo per employee.

It was a good experience.  He asked if he could keep my resume and pass it around to other business owners.  He seemed very impressed with me.  Asked if I would consider a mgt position in his other store, but at 35 miles away I told him that the commute would be a killer.

During our conversation he asked me if I'd considered applying for a position as asst mgr at a new fast food place opening in our town.  It is owned by two of the other larger business owners in our town, as well as our mayor (who also owns one of the 4 banks in town).  The GM for this new enterprise is the wife of one of the owners, who closed her own business to attend a training course to run the fast food joint.  The grocer thought that my military background and civilian mgt experience would make me an ideal choice.  He intimated that the owners were really worried about finding someone suitable from the field of available candidates in the local area.  (You really can't imagine how sad many/most of the available "talent" is in this town.  This place had to be the prototype for "Hooterville"...it's not even up to the standards of "Mayberry".)  Fast food is definitely a step down, but there aren't a lot of choices in this town.  A lot will depend upon the money and what the politics look like.  It's a possibility.

I'm still focusing primarily on the cop job, but the application process doesn't close until next week so I'm checking out anything else that's available in the meantime.  Turning over every rock, just in case there's a diamond hidden underneath.

I'm scurrying about smartly looking for a job, when I just decided to close my own biz 2 days ago....can you tell I have a smidgen of work ethic?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 05:21:22 AM »
Problem with selling stuff in this neck of the woods is that almost nobody has any money.  The median FAMILY income hereabouts is $28K.

Our next door neighbor sells Longaberger Baskets (what a scam!).  The UPS/FedExmobile used to show up at her house every day, now, not so much.

There's a local forum for our town.  Last year the gossip was buzzin about some lady who figured out how to scam her way to fame and fortune through Mary Kay.  There was identity theft and credit card fraud involved, yet nothing was done about it except for Mary Kay kicking her to the curb.

I just did some figuring on the calculator.  My military pension comes within $500 a month of covering all of our expenses.  Next fall when my zero interest loan on my pickup is paid off, we could survive on the pension alone.  All I need to work for is descretionary spending and adding to savings.

Something will turn up.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 05:41:52 AM »
Nah I was just poking at ya'll. 

Wife'll kick me for saying it, because I'm suppossed to be professional enough to not point fingers  rolleyes, but Mary Kay is the most corrupt direct sales company I know of.  They know what thier advisors are doing, and do nothing to stop it.  Thier setup encourages dishonesty.  It's a sham. 
Never heard of Longaberger.

With a low median income in your area I'd imagine the cost of living isn't too bad, ya'll will figure out a way I'm sure.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 07:10:17 AM »
Meth manufacturing usually pays well in low income areas. Smiley

Getting caught or blown up is the downside

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:14 AM »
Good luck with the job search!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 08:10:54 AM »

"ACHTUNG!
Schnitt Ihren Rasen!  Jetzt! "

It is :
  Schneiden Sie Ihren Rasen!

I've learnt some German, just in case they come back...

Oh, Moondoggie, good luck on the job thing.
Was it you who stopped smoking some while ago ?
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
I should really try to focus on the difference between verbs and nouns.  Geez, thanks for the correction, Laur.

Language police=> police

I'm off to write it 100 times on the blackboard.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 10:14:06 AM »
I was looking for a reason for getting back into German.  I think this is it.

Now, what is a imperative verb again? grin

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »
Nope, Laurent, not me who quit smoking.  I haven't smoked in 35 yrs or so.

Think of all of that money I've saved!    grin

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 09:01:09 PM »

"Now, what is a imperative verb again?"

I think you'd call it subjunctive mood ?
Like :

Don't park your pick up on the front lawn !
Get off you porch !
etc..

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 09:38:06 PM »
Nein! Izt alles zgefucht!

Blog under construction

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 07:01:20 AM »
Now, what is a imperative verb again?

Na coisich orm!   laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HaulingGas

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 12:43:21 AM »
MoonDoggie,have you ever though about
hauling fuel? Pay is decent,here it's 1,000
to 1,300 per week before taxes depending
on who you work for.It's not hard work
hooing up a hose from the truck to a in
ground fitting and opening up a few valves.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 03:31:12 AM »
Never really thought about pulling a tanker...I have the endorsement on my license.

Problem is, we moved to this podunk town (pop 4,600 and falling) to look after my 83 yr old MIL.  We would never have been here otherwise.

It's 17 miles to the next town of any size.

Really trying to avoid a commute.  I'm pretty sure the tanker outfits are either in Omaha or KC...100 miles each way to either one.

I'm going to check out an ad for a local shuttle driver (moving trailers from plant to plant), but it's 22 miles away.  It would have to pay pretty good, and I don't imagine it will.  They'll think $8/hr is high dollar.  $3/gal gas is a factor to keep in mind.  I'm going to give them a call this morning and check it out.

Unemployment pays $285/wk, which works out to $7.12/hr.  The state/feds required our S-corp with 2 employees (me & wife) to pay into unemployment for years and I'd kinda like to get some of it back.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 05:05:45 AM »
Never really thought about pulling a tanker...I have the endorsement on my license.

Problem is, we moved to this podunk town (pop 4,600 and falling) to look after my 83 yr old MIL.  We would never have been here otherwise.

It's 17 miles to the next town of any size.

Really trying to avoid a commute.  I'm pretty sure the tanker outfits are either in Omaha or KC...100 miles each way to either one.

Are you on the Iowa/Missouri Border? 

I have seen a lot of tanker drivers who take their trucks home with them each night, probably do it to save time in deliveries. Fuel terminals are only open so many hours a day. All the fuel tanker drivers I have met hustle their butts off, but they are home every night.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 12:44:36 AM »
Good luck on the job search Moondoggie, although it looks like your work ethic wont let you be an unemployed bum for too long.  laugh
Im getting kind of twitchy for a job search myself. Im used to working 2 full-time jobs, but I quit my 2nd job at the end of March. Id been there about 2 years. In came a new manager with a brash attitude. A bunch of people quit, so I was working a lot of overtime there. The manager decided she wanted me to supervise grave shift. Problem is, my #1 job is grave shift, so I politely turned her down. A few weeks later, she asked me again, a bit more forcefully. I firmly turned her down, letting her know that I love my 1st job, plus it paid better. Third time she didnt really ask. She said it would be in my best interests to accept their position, told me I needed to quit my other job and demanded that I make a decision. Well&
I told myself Id wait until the fall before I started looking for more work, but I find myself peeking at Hot Jobs and stuff more often now.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).