Author Topic: Lieberman calls for wider use of surveillance cameras  (Read 832 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Lieberman calls for wider use of surveillance cameras
« on: July 01, 2007, 09:02:04 PM »
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/lieberman-calls-for-wider-use-of-surveillance-cameras-2007-07-01.html
Lieberman calls for wider use of surveillance cameras
By Klaus Marre
July 01, 2007
Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), the chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, said Sunday he wants to more widely use surveillance cameras across the country.

The Brits have got something smart going in England, and it was part of why I believe they were able to so quickly apprehend suspects in the terrorist acts over the weekend, and that is they have cameras all over London and other of their major cities, Lieberman said.

I think its just common sense to do that here much more widely, he added. And of course, we can do it without compromising anybodys real privacy.

Lieberman lamented the petty, partisan fighting in Congress and called on his colleagues to join together to upgrade the nations electronic surveillance capabilities.

Right now, were at a partisan gridlock over the question of whether the American government can listen into conversations or follow e-mail trails of non-American citizen, he said on ABCs This Week with George Stephanopoulos. Thats wrong. Weve got to solve that problem, pass a law to give the people working for us the ability to protect us.

Lieberman, who is more closely aligned with the GOP than the Democrats he caucuses with on the war in Iraq and many national security issues and insisted Sunday that the surge in Iraq is working.

You might say that, in Iraq, weve got the enemy on the run, but for some reason, in Washington, a lot of politicians are on the run to order a retreat by our troops even as they are beginning to succeed, he said.

Lieberman stated it is not fair to conclude that he is more likely to endorse a Republican for president.

But he added that so far I would say that Democratic candidates, in the larger questions of American security, have been disappointing, and I hope things will get better as this goes on.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Lieberman calls for wider use of surveillance cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »
I'm all for it.  The first ones can go in old Joe's home and offices.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 09:59:06 PM »
The Brits have got something smart going in England, and it was part of why I believe they were able to so quickly apprehend suspects in the terrorist acts over the weekend, and that is they have cameras all over London and other of their major cities, Lieberman whined.

Fixed it.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:43:03 AM »
Ask DC how thier cameras are helping prevent crime.
 rolleyes
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 03:14:50 AM »
I'm all for it.  The first ones can go in old Joe's home and offices.
Don't forget the Senate cloakroom - with sound. And it should be accessible to everyone via the Internet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

jselvy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 11:27:59 AM »
Don't forget the Senate cloakroom - with sound. And it should be accessible to everyone via the Internet.
Pay-per-view to help reduce the tax burden

Jefferson

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 01:49:49 PM »
I think its just common sense to do that here much more widely, he added. And of course, we can do it without compromising anybodys real privacy.

Scratch a representative of the Demcratic (sic) party, and you'll always find a vicious little totalitarian.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 02:03:20 PM »
Let me see...

We could eliminate all the petty and bureaucratic laws restricting the free use of firearms by honest citizens for self defense, at a net cost to the government of some printing bills.

Or...

We could jack up taxes again, spend a lot of money on cameras to spy on people on the street in order to 'protect' them - or simply watch as they get mugged, raped, killed or all three. 

Of course, plan 'B' would further surrender individual rights and security to a faceless, nameless, unresponsive and unresponsible government employee, while plan 'A' would actually give power to the citizenry.

Be very careful who you elect, ladies and gentlemen.

By the way, I'm one of those who are protecting all of you.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.