Author Topic: Book review: Lone Survivor  (Read 585 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Book review: Lone Survivor
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
I'm about half-way through, so you only get a half-assed review.  grin

Lone Survivor is the true story of four Navy SEALs on a mission in Afghanistan to kill or capture high-ranking Al Qaeda leaders.  They are overrun by a large enemy force, and all but one SEAL is killed.  That one SEAL, Marcus Luttrel, spends the next four days dragging his wounded body back to friendly territory.

The first third of the book is background info on each of the SEALs and the ordeal that is BUD/S.  If you've ever seen one of the Discovery Channel specials about the SEAL program then you have some idea of what this part of the book is like.  But Marcus Luttrel gives a better account of the process and how he made it through. 

I'm just now getting to the battle scenes, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the prelude.  I am absolutely amazed at what those men go through to become SEALs.

Marcus Luttrel was a guest on the Glenn Beck show one or two weeks ago.  That's how I found out about this book.  The transcript from that show is on Glenn Beck's website if you are interested.  It's a two part show covering the highlights of the actual event.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: Book review: Lone Survivor
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:13:42 PM »
I want to pick this up soon.  I heard good things about it.  The story itself is amazing.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.