Author Topic: It it like its 1993 all over again....  (Read 633 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
It it like its 1993 all over again....
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
I've been looking at new PC options for about a month now, with estimated purchase time in the autumn of this year.  One of the possibilities has been a Mac of some sort, be it a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro.  The Parallels desktop for Mac has caught my eye with its abiltiy to run the various MS operation systems as a guest, including 2003 and Vista flavors.  It would be sorta cool to be able to grab an image of my current primary PC (XP on a Dell notebook) and run it and all its software as a virtual machine.  I also like the ability to run Windows applications seamlessly on the Mac desktop.  OS/2 2.1 could do this for Windows 3.1 applications, hence the comment about it being 1993 all over again.

Interestingly, Parellels claims it can also host OS/2 Warp 4, which also could run 16bit Windows 3.1 applications.  As a thought experiment, it is a bit surreal to consider the possability of playing Iron Helix in Win3.1 session on the OS/2 desktop, which is itself running as a virtual machine on a Mac.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: It it like its 1993 all over again....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:05:28 PM »
You wanna true mindbleep?

Try running the ORIGINAL Tetris on anything 386 or faster...

Yup. I'm talking about the one that came out when the 8088 was still going strong.

On faster computers, it runs faster. On today's computers, game over before you react.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »
You wanna true mindbleep?

Try running the ORIGINAL Tetris on anything 386 or faster...

Yup. I'm talking about the one that came out when the 8088 was still going strong.

On faster computers, it runs faster. On today's computers, game over before you react.

Some of the early Sierra games will do that, too. You need to run something that simulates a slower clock speed, or your character turns into The Flash the first time you try to move.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »
I thought this was going to be a political thread. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife