Author Topic: Human greed takes lion's share of solar energy.  (Read 1153 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Human greed takes lion's share of solar energy.
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
Now they are really showing their stupidity.

Human greed takes lion's share of solar energy
http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/human-greed-takes-lions-share-of-solar-energy/2007/07/02/1183351126304.html

HUMANS are just one of the millions of species on Earth, but we use up almost a quarter of the sun's energy captured by plants - the most of any species.

The human dominance of this natural resource is affecting other species, reducing the amount of energy available to them by almost 10 per cent, scientists report.

Researchers said the findings showed humans were using "a remarkable share" of the earth's plant productivity "to meet the needs and wants of one species".

They also warned that the increased use of biofuels - such as ethanol and canola - should be viewed cautiously, given the potential for further pressure on ecosystems.

The scientists, from Austria and Germany, who publish their results today in the journal of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, analysed data on land use, agriculture and forestry from 161 countries, representing 97 per cent of the world's land mass.

This showed humans used 24 per cent of the energy that was captured by plants. More than half of this was due to the harvesting of crops or other plants.

The human use of the natural resource varied across the globe, ranging from 11 per cent in Oceania and Australia, to 63 per cent in southern Asia.

An agriculture professor at the University of Melbourne, Snow Barlow, said the paper showed humans were taking up too much of an important natural resource.

"Here we are, just one species on the earth, and we're grabbing a quarter of the renewable resources & we're probably being a bit greedy."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Human greed takes lion's share of solar energy.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
Whatever these clowns are smoking, it must be good to come up with drivel such at that.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 09:52:25 AM »
And who was responsible when most of the earth was just wilderness?

They make the sun sound like a spigot that can be turned on and off.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
We also happen to be the most productive force.  If we really wanted energy efficiency we would kill off all the other species and hog the solar power for ourselves.
Its the same argument people make about the US using more energy than any other country.  Yes, we are also the most productive with our use.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:14:04 AM »
Heard that drivel on Boortz today.

In the spirit of the Great World Leader and Environmentalist, Al Gore, I am starting a new business: Solar Energy Credits.

For those of you who like to stay outside and use more than your fair share of solar energy, you can now buy solar credits from me to ease your conscience while replenishing the solar power you use.  For every $100 you send me I will chop down a solar energy absorbing tree.

Please sign up now, as my solar energy is limited.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »
Are we supposed to reflect that sunlight to people who need it (should I say deserve it?) more than we do?

I think the authors stayed in the hot sun too long.

Next, they'll be bitching that equatorial areas get more sun than the polar and sub-polar areas; something needs to be done!

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
And if we're not here using it, what good is it?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 11:52:36 AM »
The sun is all mine and the rest of you need to pay me to use it.

Send this year's rent, $120.00, to:

The Badger
P.O. Box 1132
Lafayette, Indiana 47902-1132

If you are a sandal-wearing, guilt-ridden Lefty, send $1,000.00 and I will absolve you of all White Guilt.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »
This is why I gave up writing satire.  rolleyes  Are you sure this didn't come from The Onion Huh?

It's clear to me that we need to ban sunbathing  laugh

Do people with darker skin absorb more solar energy...?  Maybe they need to recompense us  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 12:16:33 PM »
Right!  If you are Black, not only did my family liberate you, but you are sucking up more solar energy.  Blacks send me $2,450.00.

Reparations Police=> police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 02:02:48 PM »
The sun is all mine and the rest of you need to pay me to use it.

Send this year's rent, $120.00, to:

The Badger
P.O. Box 1132
Lafayette, Indiana 47902-1132

If you are a sandal-wearing, guilt-ridden Lefty, send $1,000.00 and I will absolve you of all White Guilt.

Dear Mr. Badger, I am writing to inform you that your sun caused physical burns to various locations on my body last Friday, June 29th, 2007, and has done so on numerous prior occasions.  I estimate my damages to be approximately $250,000.00, based on the cost of long-term injury to the skin, localized itching, burning and peeling, mild disfigurement, emotional trauma, interference with business opportunity, alienation of affection, and so-on.  I will kindly accept the sum of $250,000.00 as consideration for any and all damages caused by your sun, prior to this date, with the exception of any forms of cancer or other condition requiring treatment above and beyond that provided by a bottle of aloe vera gel or lotion which may or may not contain vitamin E.  If payment is received within 10 days of today's date, I will also indemnify and hold harmless you and your sun for various damage to my property caused prior to this date including faded or peeling paint, dehydrated leather and upholstery, cracked vinyl, warped plastic and brown grass.  Sincerely, Mel A. Noma  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
Yeah, if we switched to predominantly wind power, they'd be b!tching that we were using more than our fair share of that too!

I never thought idiocy could become an industry but, they are quickly proving me wrong.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

Yeah, if we switched to predominantly wind power, they'd be b!tching that we were using more than our fair share of that too!

Don't forget about killing all the migratory birds and slowing down Earth's rotation.  laugh
For entertainment purposes only.

Strings

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »
Spoon and I would like to get in on crt's class-action well, action...

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »
Gee, since the top of my grape refelcts far more sunlight than it absorbs, I must be some sort of eco-avenger!

I've always said "I'm not bald, that's a solar collector for a super computer!".
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Vile Nylons

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 02:55:23 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if the Earth still had T-Rex's that would take out the dim-witted? rolleyes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »
This looks like someone is laying the groundwork for a sunlight tax . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »

Wind is just moving air currents which the Sun also causes.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 07:25:29 AM »
Everyone hurry up and use more solar energy, so that maybe we can put a stop to global warming  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin