Author Topic: Most Obamacare enrollees already had insurance  (Read 853 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Most Obamacare enrollees already had insurance
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/01/18/coverage-expansion-fail-less-than-one-third-of-obamacare-exchange-enrollees-were-previously-uninsured/

Article describes 3 studies that looked at the people who enrolled in Obamacare.  They find that as many as 89% of enrollees already had health coverage before Obamacare. 

“I don’t know if we’re growing the number of people with insurance,” a Minnesota-based health insurer told Wilde and Mathews. “We’re just adding complexity.”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Most Obamacare enrollees already had insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:41:27 PM »
So other then a few Pajama-wearing, Hipster *expletive deleted*che Bags; the only people signing up are the ones that got their previous policies cancelled by O-care.

BRILLIANT !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
I presume no one is surprised by this.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »
I presume no one is surprised by this.

I am

Not.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »
I am also unsurprised the general populace has not yet realized how huge a failure this is . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
The mass cancellations via the employer mandate has yet to begin.  ;)

When that happens, then all hell might break loose.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
I hope to see folks in semi-riot, just like the oldsters back in the 1980s who stalked Dan Rostenkowski and pounded on and started rocking his automobile with him in it.

Can't see youtube, but I think here is video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TboXsOuMQGU

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/professorbainbridgecom/2009/08/is-obamacare-having-a-rostenkowski-moment.html

The 1988 Catastrophic Act focused on providing protection against catastrophic medical expenses under Medicare. Specifically, the Act expanded the Medicare program to provide protection against catastrophic medical expenses and for the first time, provided coverage under the Medicare program for prescription drugs. To pay for these benefit expansions, a new supplemental premium tax on all persons eligible for Medicare was enacted.

Chairman of the House Committee on Ways and Means Dan Rostenkowski lead the charge for the 1988 Act and paid a price. The Chicago Tribune from August 19, 1989 tells the story:

Congressman Dan Rostenkowski, one of the most powerful politicians in the United States, was booed and chased down a Chicago street Thursday morning by a group of senior citizens after he refused to talk with them about federal health insurance. Shouting "Coward," "Recall" and "Impeach," about 50 people followed the chairman of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee up Milwaukee Avenue after he left a meeting in the auditorium of the Copernicus Center, 3106 N. Milwaukee Ave., in the heart of his 8th Congressional District on the city's Northwest Side.
    Eventually, the 6-foot-4-inch Rostenkowski cut through a gas station, broke into a sprint and escaped into his car, which minutes earlier had one of the elderly protesters, Leona Kozien, draped over the hood. Kozien, one of more than 100 senior citizens who attended the gathering, said she had hoped to talk to Rostenkowski, her congressman, at the meeting.
    But Rostenkowski clearly did not want to talk with her, or any of the others who had come to tell their complaints about the high cost of federal catastrophic health insurance. "These people don't understand what the government is trying to do for them," the 61-year-old congressman complained as he tried to outpace his pursuers. [PB: I think they understood all too well.]
    Representatives of several senior citizens' organizations had invited Rostenkowski to meet with their members, as a chance to hear directly from a congressional leader about the controversial Catastrophic Coverage Act. The law, which set up a supplemental insurance medical plan for senior citizens, has triggered a firestorm of objections from organizations that represent seniors. ...
    As Rostenkowski, whose aides had earlier said he wouldn't meet with a larger group because "they were just going to boo him," walked through the dining area, there was some applause. But the clapping turned to boos as it became apparent the congressman was not going to stop and talk with the crowd. "Talk to us! Talk to us! You work for us!" people yelled as Rostenkowski walked out of the center.
    Dozens of senior citizens followed the congressman outside, and when he paused for an interview with a TV crew about recent events in Poland, they surrounded hi
    That's where Kozien, a petite, white-haired woman wearing heart-shaped, rose-colored sunglasses, who said she had never before been involved in a demonstration, came in. As Rostenkowski dashed through the crowd to a waiting car and locked himself inside, Kozien took up a position in front of the car, holding a sign that read: "Seniors for Repeal of the Catastrophic Act." After blowing the horn, Rostenkowski's driver edged the four-door sedan slowly forward, and Kozien was soon on the hood, determinedly holding her sign only inches from the windshield. Except for the glass, she was virtually face-to-face with her congressman. "I was a little nervous," Kozien said later. "But I could see through the car window that he looked more afraid than I was."
    Others stood in front of the car and began to scream at Rostenkowski's driver: "You're hurting her! You're hurting he
    At this point, Rostenkowski left the car and headed on foot up Milwaukee Avenue, with about 50 of the angry elderly in raucous pursuit. He cut through a gas station at Belmont Avenue and sprinted to his car, which by this time had managed to leave the community center. After he got in, the car sped away, tires screeching.
    ... Anna Witte, who was among those witnessing the incident on Milwaukee Avenue, said of Rostenkowski's behavior: "He must go home, go into a small hole and never come out." ...

Indeed, our elected, appointed, and civil service folk ought to fear us. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton