Author Topic: Total Disconnect (or: ???????????????????????????)  (Read 1814 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Total Disconnect (or: ???????????????????????????)
« on: April 23, 2006, 05:38:36 PM »
Reposted from AP.

Bin Laden Accuses U.S. of 'Zionist' War                                                                                  

By SALAH NASRAWI, Associated Press Writer  1 hour,  36 minutes ago

CAIRO, Egypt -

Osama bin Laden issued new threats in an audiotape broadcast on Arab television Sunday and accused the United States and Europe of supporting a "Zionist" war on Islam by cutting off funds to the Hamas-led Palestinian government.  He also urged followers to go to Sudan, his former base, to fight a proposed U.N. peacekeeping force.

His words, the first new message by the al-Qaida leader in three months, seemed designed to justify potential attacks on civilians  something al-Qaida has been criticized for even by its Arab supporters.  He also appeared to be trying to drum up support among Arabs by accusing the West of targeting Hamas, a militant group that fights against Israel and now heads the Palestinian government.  Citing the West's decision to cut off aid to the Hamas-led government because it refuses to renounce violence or recognize Israel, bin Laden said Washington and Europe were waging war on Islam.  "The blockade which the West is imposing on the government of Hamas proves that there is a Zionist, crusaders' war on Islam," bin Laden said.

President Bush was told about the tape Sunday morning. The intelligence community has informed the White House that it believes the tape is authentic, said Bush's spokesman, Scott McClellan.  "The al-Qaida leadership is on the run and under a lot of pressure," McClellan said at a Marine base in Twentynine Palms, Calif., where Bush was having lunch with military families.  "We are on the advance. They are on the run."

(Emphasis mine)

Al-Qaida is not believed to have direct links to Hamas, which is an outgrowth of the Muslim Brotherhood. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri was quick to distance the group from bin Laden, declaring that "the ideology of Hamas is totally different from the ideology of Sheik bin Laden."  The groups do, however, share an anti-Israel ideology that calls for the destruction of the Jewish state. And recent reports in Middle East media have said al-Qaida is trying to build cells in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Lebanon and Sudan. Israel has indicted two West Bank militants for al-Qaida membership.
Israeli government spokesman Raanan Gissin said it appeared bin Laden decided to issue the verbal assault to deflect growing Arab animosity toward al-Qaida.

That criticism peaked in December when the leader of the al-Qaida in Iraq group, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, claimed responsibility for the bombings of Jordan hotels that killed many Arabs.  "This is something the Arab world can agree upon," Gissin said. Bin Laden "has been criticized for the destruction and carnage he's causing the Muslim nation. He's looking for another justification," Gissin said. "Criticizing Israel sounds more politically correct."

The U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad  a former ambassador to Afghanistan  said the tape was another attempt by bin Laden to gain attention for his cause. "He wants to be relevant to the situation, wants to get attention that he still is a player," Khalilzad said on CNN's "Late Edition."  The voice on the tape sounded strong and resembled that on other recordings attributed to bin Laden, but its authenticity could not be verified independently.   Al-Jazeera television appeared to have had the tape long enough to make significant edits, with its news reader providing background comments. The network broadcast about five minutes of the tape in all.

Bin Laden's remarks touched on the full range of issues that anger militant Arabs and other Muslims. Many of them see a renewal of a Christian- and Jewish-inspired Western "crusade" to dominate the Islamic world and to confiscate Muslim lands and resources  particularly oil.  Bob Ayers, a security expert with the Chatham House think tank in London, said the tape may be bin Laden's way of playing cat-and-mouse with those hunting him.   "It's when people have kind of forgotten about him, when he's not been on the news, that the tapes emerge," Ayers said. "It's kind of his way of thumbing his nose at the U.S. and saying, 'Hey, I'm still out here, and you haven't caught me and you can't.' That's what he's saying."

Concerning Sudan, bin Laden called on "mujahedeen and their supporters, especially in Sudan and the Arab peninsula, to prepare for long war again the crusader plunderers in Western Sudan. Our goal is not defending the Khartoum government but to defend Islam, its land and its people."  "I urge holy warriors to be acquainted with the land and the tribes in Darfur," he said, adding they should be aware that the rainy season approaches and that will hamper their movement.

Al-Qaida has targeted Western forces in Africa before  including its attacks against U.S. troops trying to bring peace to Somalia in 1993.  The fighting in Darfur began when rebels from black African tribes took up arms in February 2003, complaining of discrimination and oppression by Sudan's Arab-dominated government.  The government has been accused of unleashing Arab tribal militia known as the Janjaweed against civilians in a campaign of murder, rape and arson  a charge it denies. At least 180,000 people have died  many from hunger and disease  and 2 million people have been displaced in the vast, arid region of western Sudan and as refugees in neighboring Chad.

The United Nations has described the conflict as the world's gravest humanitarian crisis. The United States has described it as genocide.  Negotiators are trying to broker a peace deal between warring factions by an April 30 deadline. Members of the African Union have agreed in principle to hand over peacekeeping duties to the United Nations this fall.

The Saudi-born bin Laden set up headquarters in Sudan after he was forced to leave his homeland, but Khartoum expelled him under threats from the United States. He moved to Afghanistan, where he trained fighters and organized the Sept. 11 attacks.  He is believed hiding in the rugged mountains on the Pakistani side of that country's long border with Afghanistan.  In Washington, U.S. intelligence officials said bin Laden was living separately from top deputy Ayman al-Zawahri and, in a sign he has to be careful about whom he trusts, surrounded by fellow Arabs.

The al-Qaida chieftain, who last issued a message broadcast by Al-Jazeera on Jan. 19, also made a point of trying to justify attacks on civilians. He said citizens of Western countries were equally responsible with their governments for what he termed the "war on Islam."  "I say that this war is the joint responsibility of the people and the governments. While the war continues, the people renew their allegiance to their rulers and politicians and continue to send their sons to our countries to fight us," bin Laden said.

In his last message, bin Laden offered the United States a long-term truce but warned that al-Qaida soon would launch a fresh attack on American soil. But no new attacks on the United States have occurred.  In the Sunday broadcast, bin Laden called for a global Muslim boycott of American goods similar to the recent ban on Danish products after the publication of caricatures of Islam's Prophet Muhammad that outraged the Muslim world.  The Al-Jazeera news reader said bin Laden, in a portion of the tape not aired by the Qatar-based broadcaster, also scoffed at Saudi King Abdullah for his calls for a "dialogue among civilizations" and blasted liberal Arab writers for participating in the Western cultural invasion of Muslim lands.

-----------------------------

"We are on the advance. They are on the run."

Huhhh???  I heard this on the radio a little while ago.  Uhh, Mr. President, did you even hear anything that was said?  I can hardly believe how this report has affected me!   I think this may have the proverbial spine-breaking straw.  I feel like I've just snapped out of denial, like I've listening to the last few years of news in a haze: warrantless wiretaps, Peak Oil, prisoners with no rights, crushing debt, Iraqi civil war, talk of invading Iran-HALLIBURTON!  I remember the concept of "Plausible Deniability", but this-this is "Implausible Unflappability!

I had two thoughts come to me after hearing this today, two thoughts I've NEVER had before:

1. Is this the price we pay for (supposedly) Constitutional Federal judges?  It seems pretty steep.

and, even more stunning

2. How much worse could an Al Gore presidency have been?

GAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

John Kerry had to be stopped, no question-no question at all.  But I voted for W in 2000(I live in an Electorally Liberal state, so my vote didn't count in 2004), and now I'm really wondering if we really did get the "lesser of two evils".

Again,   "?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???"

Must sleep now.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 06:05:27 PM »
All your guff about "Implausible Unflappability" is a bunch of BS.  Al Queada IS on the run and under pressure.  We ARE gaining ground against them.  (We have two terrorist states under our control.  How many Democratic states does A Q have under their control?)

Stop and think about it for a moment.  Al Queada spent the 90's carrying out attacks against the US every couple of years.  

Since 2001, Al-Queda hasn't been able to carry out a single attack against the US.  We've killed or captured the bulk of their leadership.  We've captured their favored safe-haven and training ground.  Since Bush started fighting back against A Q, all they've been able to throw at us is an occasional audio tape.  

Bush's war in Iraq accomplished what the UN should have accomplished a decade earlier:  ensure with absolute certaintly that Saddam would never again threaten the world with weapons of mass destruction.

If Bush's primary goal has been to prevent another 9-11, the he's succeeded admirably.  Bush has his faults, but dealing with terrorists hasn't proven to be one of them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »
"How much worse could an Al Gore presidency have been..."

Try this on for size...

The Islamic Republic of the United States...

Al Gore would have surrendered before the South Tower fell.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:48:07 AM »
No, Mike, he wouldn't have.  He'd have spent at least a week agonizing over how the nasty building products that we Americans used to build the towers were fouling the air with smoke and dust, and how that was causing global warming.  Then he would have written a book about how this is all our fault and then surrendered.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:45:59 AM »
Sorry, Grampster, you're wrong. Surrender to the enemy is an affair of state. Gore's a choad, but he at least tended to affairs of state before he tended to quasi-personal issues.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
This thread can be much more clear and concise if all will answer by choosing one option:

A.  Bush is Satan incarnate.  At the Bohemian grove, he and Bin Laden like to eat fresh-roasted 3-year-olds in a delicious baby-seal sauce, cooked over a burning cross.

B.  Bush is so utterly stupid and incompetent that boxes of rocks, bags of hammers and stumps all enjoy laughing at his foreign policy blunders and poor speaking abilities.

C.  Bush is a well-meaning, but merely adequate statesmen who is poorly advised.

Ca.  Bush and his administration are systematically dismantling al-Qaeda despite minor setbacks in various parts of the globe.  Have patience.

D.  Thank God we have a Texan in office who ain't afeared to go out and stomp Al-Qaeda into a puddle and walk it dry.

E.  How dare you insult God's annointed!  A stoning for you, you commie, terrorist sympathizer!

F.  Bush is merely a tool of the real evil - all government!

G.  Who cares?  Gas is so expensive I'm going to kill myself!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 04:57:42 AM »
B.  Bush is so utterly stupid and incompetent that boxes of rocks, bags of hammers and stumps all enjoy laughing at his foreign policy blunders and poor speaking abilities.
I, in turn, laugh at stumps, poke fun at rocks and openly mock bags of hammers. George Bush laughs at me for feeling superior to inanimate objects. Thus, everyone is happy and harmony is restored to the universe. Without this triptych of idiocy, the universe would soon collapse under the weight of its own stupidity. Birds would plummet from the skies and bookshelves would fall down, being too stupid to stand up by themselves.

You people don't know how much you owe me. It's not easy being laughed at by George Bush...

Tongue

PS

H. All of the above.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 07:13:03 AM »
F.  Bush is merely a tool of the real evil - all government!
I'll go with that one.
Although A is pretty fun, too
A.  Bush is Satan incarnate.  At the Bohemian grove, he and Bin Laden like to eat fresh-roasted 3-year-olds in a delicious baby-seal sauce, cooked over a burning cross.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 05:07:24 PM »
I like options C through D.  That's three of them, by the way.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 11:26:39 PM »
Parts of C through D.

His foreign policy's largest failing is his failure to clearly communicate 'big stick's'  most important premise, and a fear of response from the so called civilized world (including much of America) if he didn't try to dress up a pig and sell it for beef.

He could have made the war for Iraq in a few paragraphs, instead he is caught in a web of the lies of first world politics and diplomacy when dealing with third world. Quite frankly Kruchev's shoe would have made a better case for and defense of war with Iraq (and Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea, Syria, etc.)

When the street mob is lobbing molotov cocktails through your window in some parts of the world you can dial 911 and wait for the cops. Other parts of the world you fire into the midst of them and hope you get lucky.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »
Stand_watie, it is ironic that your post is about as clear as the messages we hear from the White House.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 09:18:30 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Stand_watie, it is ironic that your post is about as clear as the messages we hear from the White House.
Then I'll try again. W should have said

A "We're going to beat down Saddam as a message to the leaders of all the other countries that are doing the same things as he."

B "We chose Saddam instead of Syria, Iran, etc. because he's been a particular pain in the ass for fourteen years, and we'd like to kill two birds with one stone."
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
C-b.  Bush and his administration are systematically dismantling the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the domestic economy, and the southern US border despite minor setbacks in various parts of the conservative voter base .  Have patience.
You forgot one.... Tongue
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.