Author Topic: Complete fricken idiots: retailers and personal checks.  (Read 2703 times)

brimic

• friends
Complete fricken idiots: retailers and personal checks.
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:20:26 PM »
After work tonight I went to a local Dunham's store to cash in a raincheck and buy a WASR-10 rifle. The whole BATF paperwork/NICS rigamarole took about 5 minutes to complete. The US goobermint quickly gave their blessings to the sale. The US government in all of its incompetence is no match for the morons who checked me out. I wrote a personal check for the rifle when the cashier put the check in the weird little machine that approves the checks and the lady entered my license number, it came back denied. She called the manager over who might have had 3 or 4 IQ points on the checkout lady, and she tried it, I noticed that they both were leaving off the last 2 digits of my DL number in the multiple attempts to approve the check. The manager decides that the check needs to manually overidden, which consisted of the untrained minimum wager behind the counter calling some mysterious phone number, reciting the account number and tracking number of the check into the phone, asking me my date of birth, double checking my license 2 more times, waiting for 5 minutes, then telling me my check was denied. My reaction was WTF??? I've bought no less than 6 guns from that store in the last 3 years, and paid with a check every time. Not only that, but I had more money in that account than the two of those yahoos make in a month, combined. The lady asked me if I had another way of paying for the rifle, I told her that if she won't take my check, then no form of money is good enough. She asked me if she could hold the rifle for a couple of days for me, I told her to stick it , there's a gun shop 3 blocks away that has the same AK for $30 more who will take my money in whatever form I pay it in. I had already wasted 45 minutes of my time on these idiots, so I went home fuming.

I used to scoff at the idea of using the self-checkouts that are found in more and more stores these days, but now I really don't care, if the human manning the till isn't 1/2 as smart as the self check out machine.

Oh, yeah- this morning McDonalds shorted me a breakfast sandwich when I went through the drivethrough. Really pisses me off when I don't find out about it until 5 minutes later and would have to waste 1/2 of my time to get the sandwich that I ordered. Sad
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:23:57 PM »
Just to put things into perspective, consider that your doctor did not call you this afternoon and tell you that small mole on your back that they biopsied was malignant melanoma.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 06:00:33 PM »
Grampster, they're not going to cut more of you out, are they???

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »
No, just a very sick attempt at perspective.  In my former life, I used to be bothered by things that got brimic's goat today.  Poor example, but true nonetheless.  "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Frustration is bad for the digestion.  Brimic, go back tomorrow and buy the rifle.  Don't stop at McDonalds as that will be a continual source of frustration, to say nothing of bad digestion.

Sorry, should have contributed to the rant instead of raining on it.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 06:44:56 PM »
I'm just glad that my problems are not anywhere near the scale of your's. It isn't the rifle or personal check that bothers me, its the idea that people can't think for themselves anymore. "I have to do X because the machine told me to do X"

Grampster- I wish you good health, and if failing that, the best doctors to put you back together right.

Barack Obama

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 07:00:12 PM »
the untrained minimum wager behind the counter
You have no complaint that they sell the gun for $30 less than the gun store, but then are mad because they don't get the better help which is why they are able to sell it to you cheaper?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 07:11:30 PM »
You have no complaint that they sell the gun for $30 less than the gun store, but then are mad because they don't get the better help which is why they are able to sell it to you cheaper?
You have a good point. I'm willing to put up with some hassle, but not what I went through today. Not ever again.

At any rate, the WASR they were selling was a bit overpriced, and another $30 is way overpriced, it made my decision between an overpriced WASR and a $300 Saiga much easier.

Barack Obama

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 07:25:06 PM »
people can't think for themselves anymore. "I have to do X because the machine told me to do X"
A certain large retail chain has all of their employees trained like that. Picture this scene.
I step up to the register and wait in the usually long line for my turn to pay. Cashier scans my item
"UPC not found".
Cashier attempts this seven or eight times (hoping for a different result?) then finally gives up and calls for a supervisor.
5 minutes go by.
Supervisor finally shows up, inserts their key, and begins the scanning routine all over again. After a similar number of attempts the frustrated supervisor determines that the UPC is in fact "not found".
They make the determination that the purchase must be entered manually. Finally, I think to myself, we are getting somewhere. I was wrong.
Supervisor must get the department code from which the item came so it can be properly recorded. Arrgh!
Supervisor pages the aforementioned department and waits for a callback.
Callback finally comes with proper code. The code is entered, and then the supervisor instructs the cashier to enter a description for the item using the keypad (which is numeric), so I stand there dumbfounded while the cashier performs a feat of typing prowess similar to text messaging on a cell phone. Then enters the price and attempts to enter "5", the total number of copies of this item I had purchased. No go. The register requires this process be followed for each and every instance of the sale. By this point, I am half laughing and half fuming from the frustration of it all. At this point we are nearly 20 minutes into the process.

Did I mention that the price was on the front of the item, marked with a 2" day-glo green sticker?

Yes, I know I should have bailed at the 5-minute mark, but this was a must have item at the time, and this was the only store open at that time of the AM.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 07:28:07 PM »
LOL Cheesy

So you've shopped at Walmart too.

Barack Obama

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 11:21:59 PM »
Since I feel like nagging, I guarantee you every clerk in the country knows exactly how to swipe a debit card and ask you to sign the receipt.  Might be something to think about.

I'd imagine I'm a bit younger than you, but I've never written a check in my life--everything I buy gets paid for in cash, and living expenses go through debit, credit, or online ACH transmittals.

Strings

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »
garrett... I feel your pain. Had the same thing happen with a pair of gloves, minus calling the manager (willingly)...

Check-out drone scans gloves: not found. Repeats roughly 10 times: not found. Looks at us an asks if we could just forget them... :roll-eyes:

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 02:04:00 AM »
I swear to you that what I am writing is true.  I went to my bank yesterday to get a wire transfer for $424.  The cost to process the transfer was $40.  The bank employee preparing the transfer had to WRITE DOWN on a piece of paper those two numbers to add them.  I got this oh s***, these people are handling my money feeling.  If she had reached for a calculator I would have withdrawn every dime I had in the bank.

Scary.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 03:21:31 AM »
So. Do you blame the skuls or the parents of these unfortunates?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 03:44:59 AM »
The bank employee preparing the transfer had to WRITE DOWN on a piece of paper those two numbers to add them.  I got this oh s***, these people are handling my money feeling.  If she had reached for a calculator I would have withdrawn every dime I had in the bank.
FWIW, bermbuster, some banks have a specific requirement that tellers use calculators when they're doing any kind of math, up to and including counting out cash in trivially-calculable amounts.  I once went to withdraw $250 cash, and the teller lady instantly said, "Do you want that as 5 fifties, or three fifties and 5 twenties, or..." and listed off some of the other possible ways.  So obviously she had the neural capacity to do the math in her head.  But once I told her how I wanted it, she pulled out the bills, and as she put each bill down, she put the amount into a paper-tape adding machine, too.  I asked her why, and she rolled her eyes and told me that it was bank policy, in order to "reduce errors".  Nevermind keying errors, I guess.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 04:47:28 AM »
"The bank employee preparing the transfer had to WRITE DOWN on a piece of paper those two numbers to add them."

I'd much rather have them do that and check their math than to find out I've either been over or underpaid.

And $40 for a frigging wire transfer? %10 percent of the total of the transfer? God I hate banks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 07:31:08 AM »
In the old days folks did not pull the illegal stuff on checks so much as they do now. Folks were more honest and trusting on both sides of the counter.

Interesting to note how folks do not trust Credit Cards, and feel their personal checks are safer.  While we have folks that do steal Credit Cards and Personal ID, there are those that target checks.

These folks want returned checks tossed in the trash, instead of looting after a tornado, flood, or any natural disaster, for  TV and Stereos, they look for checks. Some even make a copy of checks customers use at a business, same type of inside theft person keeping carbons of CC sales.

Printers are better than ever today. These 'gangs' take the Checking Acct number off one account, add the bank routing number from another, bank logo from a third, and make up a false name and address.

The more checks stolen, the more numbers to play with (bank routing numbers especially) the more counterfiet checks they can print up. Smart "gangs", just do small purchase amounts, $10 - $45, as some places do not even bother to check a check or person ID - especially small Mom&Pop stores, especially smaller towns.

IIRC , and last heard, if a "fake check" is used and cashed, FDIC pays the bank back.

Credit Card Companies do not have this perk. So CC companies have in some regards better security methods to protect CC owners.

In the old days if caught out, or did not want to spend the cash you had, bank checks, just blank. Stores and businesses kept some in store from the local banks. All the consumer had to do, enter checking acct number, then write a check as one normally would.

Security costs, whether in time, inconvience, extra charges to cover billing if one is hurt/injured and not working and cannot make a CC payment ...etc.

Then again back in old days businesses would make customer lists from checks from customers to do mailings to inform them of special showings, Gift giving days [Anniversary, B-Day] or simple Thank you. NOT abused, not misused. Times have changed and we now pay for a lot of matters illegal and abuse we did not before.

I use a debit card more often than a check. AR has a Regulation Z.  Meaning even if the store says all sales final, no returns, or exchanges, the store has to if purchase made with a CC, debit card falls into this as well.
 I get a credit immediate for a returned item with CC/Debit card too,  instead of waiting for check to clear.

Now what I get tcked off about is being "eyed" for plopping down Cash for something. I was given cash to make a rent payement and utility payments for a couple while out of town. Did you know the Landlord did not want cash, Homeland Security "questions" rent being paid in cash. Screw it, I went and paid a $1 for a Money Order, then gave that to the Landlord. *sigh* He still griped and said it could still be a terrorist thing.

Not this couple. They still get red faced folding  each others undies.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 07:47:12 AM »
So you've shopped at Walmart too.
Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 07:55:36 AM »
"In the old days folks did not pull the illegal stuff on checks so much as they do now. Folks were more honest and trusting on both sides of the counter."

Uhm...

Yeah. Sure they were.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 08:27:33 AM »
Cash makes no enemies.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 08:54:56 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Cash makes no enemies.Cheesy
only if you don't spend more than $9999.00

I haven't ever had the opportunity to ever spend that much ever on a purchase, cars included. My little bro works as a finance manager at a large car lot and he hates it when people pay cash for a car (lots of old rich farmers in Iowa). Having to report the cash transaction to some agency.

Only time I ever held more than a couple K in cash was when I was in eight grade and toured a local bank and the president handed me about 30k in Ben Franklins. I immediately told him thanks for the gift.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 11:30:08 AM »
My late mother-in-law went on a Caribbean cruise.  Georgia resident.  On the cruise, somebody stole checks from the back of her checkbook.

Within about two or three weeks, hot checks started showing up out of California.

In discussions with somebody at a Wells Fargo bank in California, my wife learned that the bank's system-wide losses ran some $40 million a year in bad checks they had to honor or write off.  So that's the "why" of all these security efforts.  Add in all the other major bank chains...

Day-to-day?  If I'm at a store where I'm not known, I use cash or my one-and-only credit card.  Checks are for paying bills by snail mail, or for something like a car.  That makes it easy for Dudley Doofus, your average store clerk.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Strings

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 11:51:28 AM »
Actually, it doesn't even take THAT much effort to create a fak check: there's a supply company that will print up checks for you with whatever information on them you wish. 419 scammers use them a LOT...

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 05:14:30 PM »
Stores that don't take my checks don't get my businessand I tell them so as I leave.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 05:34:01 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"In the old days folks did not pull the illegal stuff on checks so much as they do now. Folks were more honest and trusting on both sides of the counter."

Uhm...

Yeah. Sure they were.
Yeah +1

I used to work a counter in highschool before the whole debit card thig really took off. We had a sheet as long as my arm of people who habitually passed bad checks. Plus we sent all checks through a verification service before accepting them, and we verified funds on large checks. Despite all of that we still got bad paper on a daily basis. If anything check fraud has subsided with the advent of debit cards, people look closer at checks now since they arent as commonplace.