Author Topic: Outers Electric Smoker  (Read 5653 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Outers Electric Smoker
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:52:06 PM »
I just bought one from a co-workers neighbor pretty cheap. Of course it has no directions and I was wondering if anyone on here owns one and has directions/manual/etc. I think I can figure out how to use it, but I'd rather be safe than burn something down.

I'm already on charcoal/water smoker #2 (1st one rusted out) so I've smoked my fair share of fish, fowl and meat.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Outers Electric Smoker
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »
Water smokers...

I had one, never again.

If you're going to actually smoke something, the last thing you want to do is surround it with a lot of water vapor. Smoke doesn't like sticking to wet surfaces.

Anyway... Sorry, I don't have any source for a manual, but you may try looking at the manual for the Brinkman electric water smoker to maybe get some basic guidelines.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

publius

• friend
Outers Electric Smoker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 01:22:12 AM »
I've used a couple of electrics. You just plug them in, put some chips in the pan, and let it smoke. My dad had one which smoked too hot, would burn the chips up too fast, and tended to cook whatever was on the lower levels near the burner instead of smoking it dry.

He got a heavy duty dimmer switch and wired it in there, making the burner output adjustable. That was a great smoker after the modification!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Outers Electric Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:33:45 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Water smokers...

I had one, never again.

If you're going to actually smoke something, the last thing you want to do is surround it with a lot of water vapor. Smoke doesn't like sticking to wet surfaces.

Anyway... Sorry, I don't have any source for a manual, but you may try looking at the manual for the Brinkman electric water smoker to maybe get some basic guidelines.
I never thought about the water vapor and smoke, I thought it made for a good hot smoke. I might get a taste surprise when I start using the electric smoker.

Figured there might some manual in all the stuff you have discovered in the basement of your Grandparent's house.

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Outers Electric Smoker
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 05:49:56 AM »
You'll still get a product that tastes good, there's no doubt about that, but I don't think water smoked foods taste nearly as good as those smoked with just a straight dry heat method.

And no, Grandma and Grandpa were never very big on BBQing or grilling anything other than when they were camping.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Outers Electric Smoker
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 06:34:33 AM »
Quote from: publius
He got a heavy duty dimmer switch and wired it in there, making the burner output adjustable. That was a great smoker after the modification!
I was already thinking that and put a couple thermometers one at the bottom and one at the top through the sides.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.