Author Topic: APS Garage Sale, Trading Post and General Store.  (Read 2935 times)

APS Garage Sale, Trading Post and General Store.
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:08:03 PM »
With all this talk about cleaning of basements and chasing old men out of yards, why not do an online version?

I could use a stainless steel stock pot somewhere in the 20 quart size. Anyone got one in their basement they want to get rid of? Doesn't have to be pretty but does have to be big and does have to be stainless.

I'll have to think of some things to sell..nothing comes to mind right away but I have a garage full of something or other that a renter ran off on last fall. Mostly junk but some of it was useful.

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:09:26 PM »
Hey, if the guy looking for dress pants happens to wear a 38" waist, I know in some of those boxes were a whole bunch of those. The guy was a used car salesman or something. Which probably explains him running out on the rent. Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
I can't even imagine why you'd need a 20 quart stainless steel stock pot.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 05:31:39 PM »
Got a bunch of nomex flight suits, camouflage BDUs, AF blue uniform items, .30-06 brass, 9mm brass, .308/7.62mm NATO brass, .223/5.56mm NATO brass, a few older Polaroid cameras.  More later as I make my move back to civilization...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »
i wear a 38 but they need to be 34 long or i get floody
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »
Let me look this weekend. If I don't get back at you, yell at me. This is my only night off this week..

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 06:17:09 PM »
I thought it would be obvious: To make goat milk soap!

Cheesy

Guess I should have asked for lye, too, since that's getting to be a big pain in the ass to find since the crack heads all switched to meth. Red Devil is gone (no lie!) and most companies want you to order it in bulk. I really don't need 30 lbs. of lye. I'd like to make it from scratch but my partner in crime seems skeptical about the process.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 06:21:31 PM »
Hey, Gew..that brass is probably more valuable than you think..the price is up something like 82% for copper and over 200% for zinc over a year ago.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 06:30:07 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I can't even imagine why you'd need a 20 quart stainless steel stock pot.
Heck, we can't live without one.  We could use another, or two.  Ever make green chili for forty people? Ever canned salsa, 36 pints at a time?

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 07:09:47 PM »
Quote from: Barbara
Hey, if the guy looking for dress pants happens to wear a 38" waist, I know in some of those boxes were a whole bunch of those. The guy was a used car salesman or something. Which probably explains him running out on the rent. Smiley
I am the one with the dress pants problem...

Turns out I am a 38 wasit  (30 legs...) let me know if anything you have is my size.  Kind of Ironic huh.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 07:42:25 PM »
Barbara,

I know.  I've got an auction already going on eBay for 200 pieces of .30-06 brass, and within minutes I had bidders. My pack-rat tendencies as a range officer are paying off with all the rifle and handgun brass I brought home, but I now have a 10,000 pound household goods weight allowance for my retirement move, and some of the heavy stuff's gotta go if I want to keep the rest of it. Hence me selling off reloadable brass and gun parts vs. my Tektronix Phaser 780 color laser and combo mill-lathe machine, etc.

Regarding the home soap-making venture, I got a bunch of Red Devil lye at our local Publix grocery store a couple months ago for that exact purpose, they still stock it.  As for the soap, it didn't turn out so good.  I think it was the Crisco I used as the fat component.  The finished product never really cured to a complete solid, and was more of a semi-paste goop that I ended up using as a cleansing shower gel until all evidence of the failed experiment was gone.  Hopefully, your technique works better.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »
Gewehr98, have any items that might be interesting to an Airman?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 08:07:25 PM »
If you're aircrew and enroute PCS to Eielson or Elmendorf, I have my arctic gear...

In-laws already snagged all my spare sets of flight boots, combat boots (Gore-Tex Danners!), jackets, and most of my nomex gloves.  Most of my dress blues I've donated to the local JROTC and Florida Air Academy.  I'll keep my mess dress and presentation service dress uniform for formal events if I ever choose to attend them, they're at the dry cleaners getting pressed and boxed to sit next to my wife's wedding dress.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:20 AM »
Hmm..ok, no Crisco? Lard, maybe?

I'll look at those pants this weekend and let you know, JJ.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 02:41:12 AM »
I'd also be interested in a used laptop if I could find one cheaply enough.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 04:32:14 AM »
I may be able to come up with a cheap laptop.  Give me a few days.  Cheap being shipping cost......

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 06:41:28 AM »
Barbara,
Larry,

Dang! I wish I'd known you folks needed a 20qt Stockpot.

I got rid of two not long ago. Also had the big ladles and other items. Also a HUGE cast iron dutch oven. [Heavy!], Commercial type Coffee Pot.

Older couple moved to retirement village.

I shot the 20 year old .410 shotgun shells, and .38spls already Smiley  

Laptop: Reminds me, my backup Laptop died.  Need to check into Laptop or at least PC capable of XPPro. I feel a bit "uneasy" not having a backup.

Green Chili : Umm good stuff. I'll have to make do with Sandy's Salsa, and the other Ashcraft Garden Veggies I have.  Larry/Sandy...Those special lids are GREAT for the mason jars btw- thanks!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 06:54:21 AM »
Barbara

I bought a stainless steel 20 qt pot at Walmart 5 years ago for under $20. I think it must have been mismarked.

Mike

I use mine to make beer (boil the wort), make chili for a lot people (as Larry mentioned), boil 4-5 whole chickens at once, cook my salsa before I can it and boil pasta for 20 people.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 07:02:41 AM »
Look for an enameled Steel pot, The old white spotted blue ones work great, just keep stirring them or they scorch.  Nothing is better that a pot of slow simmered Tomato sauce, the smell fills the whole neighborhood.
Brian
<><
:)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 07:26:06 AM »
Larry A,
Some of that Ashcraft salsa is quietly asking to be adopted out to a Michigan family.

PS:  How is mom?  I was thinking about mailing her another get well card.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 07:41:43 AM »
grampster-

Re: Sandy's Salsa, not sure if a good idea to get a fella your age addicted to something. *smirk*

You cannot have any field peas with snaps, or pickles. I will "review" your request for Salsa and advise Ashcraft Inc of my review. Cheesy

Err...seems 'puter problems messed me up...so if you have tried to get me, and I missed you, I was not ignoring you , CyberDog ate my emails.

Oh my, how I wish I had some of that guacamole we had in Tulsa...okay the whole menu we had in Tulsa

Steve

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »
My ears were burning...

Grampster, mom's not doing so great.  They found infection when they went in to do the new hip, so they removed the entire hip joint and she'll have to do without it for a while (up to a year).  She's in the hospital now, probably for another week, doing therapy.  Good news is, she will be able to walk without the hip joint, she'll just have a bad limp.  And her spirits are pretty good.  Dad's pretty worn out though, making a 100 mile round trip every day to see her.  We give him a break whenever we can.

PS, email me your address.  There may be some salsa left in the stash.  If not, we'll be making more on Labor Day weekend.

Sandy bought her 20 qt stock pot at a local restaurant supply.  She thought the WalMart ones were too light duty.  I think she paid around $70 though.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »
grampster thumbing nose at sm whilst e-mailing Larry his mailing address.  cool

Card is in the mail.  What is you dad's first name, maybe I'll send him a card that might get him chuckling a bit.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »
Grampster, Leonard

Thanks Bud. Smiley

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 12:46:19 PM »
Enroute.

sm, yeah I did send you an e mail awhile back.  You seemed to have dropped off the map and I wondered if all was well with y'all.  Good to hear they may offer you a teaching position at your gubmint institution.  I think you'd make a great teacher.

Barbara,
So solly for hijacking your thread.  I'm done now.