Author Topic: APS "What's on your plate?" listing thread.  (Read 3099 times)

APS "What's on your plate?" listing thread.
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:07:38 PM »
No, not what's for dinner. I think that's been done.

I'm talking about things. The balls you juggle, the projects you have piling up, the jobs you do and the things you have to get done. List 'em. We'll all benefit from knowing, and might have some good input. Don't be shy about throwing in details in general or on what's holding you up.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:13:36 PM »
I'm already starting the mental checklists for moving to Korea (in December).
Thinking about the never ending paperwork at my job (the EPRs never cease)
Preparing for the big varmint hunt in Idaho in June (Gun? Check. Ammo? Check...everything else is optional...hehe)
Reloading quandries (component selections and the various other adjustments required)

Thankfully no wife or kids to worry about. I do have a new girlfriend, but she's independent and low maintenance. A significant deviation from my norm, but I couldn't be happier.

Truck is running good (knock on wood), family is healthy...Only thing I could improve upon is to lose my credit card for a few months to get it paid off.  I only have 1k on it though...so things could be a whole lot worse.

All in all, I think I'm doing alright...

Ed

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 02:01:49 AM »
Finals and graduation for the next week
Finding a real job
The French Riviera and the Monaco Grand Prix

That's what I'm thinking/worrying about for the next month.  After that, who knows.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 04:04:53 AM »
I'm contending with fraudsters who are flooding the internet with stock-hyping spam using fake variants of my E-mail address.

Worse, the Great American Novel has just struck again.

Some people just never learn, I guess.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 04:28:34 AM »
Gotta go to the dentist this am for 6 mo. check up.  Need to meditate about when to cut the grass.  Maybe take a walk later, while I'm thinking about the grass.  I think I can hold off for a few days.  

As soon as it gets a bit warmer, I'll start floating aimlessly around the lake on my pontoon boat; maybe read, maybe nap, maybe fish.  SWMBO and I will have to decide whether to go to the Red Anchor for ayce Lake Michigan perch or head on over to the VFW for 1/2 lb cheesburgers and hand cut onion rings.

Our oldest son (38) is getting married this Friday at the courthouse.  We're gaining a sweet new dil and another readymade (13 yr old) grandson.  That makes 3.

Might have a hockey game to go to on Sunday if the Griffins don't sweep Toronto in the AHL playoffs.

Yaawwn.  Well I guess I'll go fill up the coffee cup once more before I leave for the dentist.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 04:32:43 AM »
Preparing for 40+ people to show up at my home to celebrate the Beltane holiday for the entire weekend.
Getting ready to do it all again for Litha in 7 weeks.  
Getting ready to be the Best Man at a friend's wedding in two weeks.
Getting ready to be the officiant at two more weddings two and four weeks later.
Getting ready (at my real job (so to speak)) for a product release date tomorrow.
Feeling Standing Wolf's pain, because the Great American Novel is lurking in the dark recesses of my mind, too, whispering.  Actually, I think there's two of them back there.

Same old, same old.
-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:50:45 AM »
A major sofware deliverable at work, and the other technical writer/editor just quit.

President of my HOA with all of the problems and headaches that brings.

Member of my county's History Commission. Interesting, but a lot of work.

On the upside, though, I am going shooting with mtnbkr this evening.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 05:06:11 AM »
Household projects:
Replace garage door and opener, clean up the woodwork around it.
Replace Fridge (freezer portion may be failing, albiet slowly)
Replace countertop and sink (optional, but we want a different color and a deeper sink)
Contemplate painting and drywall work (the "guest" workers who originally did the drywall didn't do it right)
Figure out plans for landscaping yard (time for a change)
Repair weed damage to front yard due to last season's neglect

Hobby stuff:
Get back into darkroom and actually make some prints
Set up for reloading 44mag (just bought a Redhawk)

Professional Stuff:
Start studying for the CISSP

Personal:
Parents moving to Mobile, Al
Brother getting ready for major surgery
Grandfather still recovering from bacterial meningitis

Going shooting tonight with Irwin and going camping this weekend.  The camping is officially for turkey hunting, but I'm just taking my cameras so I can use some film.  I'm not much in a mood to hunt.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 05:10:07 AM »
I'm surprised you didn't put anything on your list about hiding the bodies of those poor souls who are beaten to death by your daughter...

I should also include that for home-related stuff I've got:

The basement to clean out.

The attic to insulate.

The sliding glass door to the patio to replace.

The master bath to finish renovating.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 05:25:39 AM »
I'm surprised you didn't put anything on your list about hiding the bodies of those poor souls who are beaten to death by your daughter...
Just another household chore like taking out the garbage or mowing the grass...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 05:51:06 AM »
I'm bringing a pair of handcuffs this evening, Chris.

Child sized, for when we eat dinner.

I don't want her hands anywhere near my head this evening... Shocked

auschip

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 06:11:32 AM »
Getting ready to head to Vegas on Monday.  Gotta work the booth at Interop.
Need to buy some golf balls, as I have a round on Saturday.
Dry Cleaning needs to go.
Need to go to Home Depot, the backdoor is in need of replacement.
Truck is rolling up on oil change time.  Need to drop that off so they can wax it also.
Gotta head to the grocery for nourishment.  The boss will be gone on Friday and Saturday.  
While I am at the store should probably get some dogfood.  Might pick up a soup bone for them since the boss will be away.
Have Jiu-Jitsu tonight, getting a new stripe and I'm excited about that.
Thinking about picking up a Springfield XD 45.  Need to head to the local arms dealer and see if they have any in stock.  
Should trim the bushes in front of the house before I go.  

I'm sure there is more ...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 06:48:33 AM »
my plate

Writing a "catch all" computer handbook/proceedure for my department.

Creating a bid for a website (side work)

Getting married in 6 months

Getting geared up for crappie to start biting

1 of 2 co-chairs for a Friday night bands and beer garden every Friday from June 2-Aug 4th.

Probably more things I am neglecting
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 06:56:06 AM »
End of Semester Time Crunch.

Case Studies
Papers
Exams
Pre- Finals
Finals

Approached to become Faculty where  I attend.
I have to wait until after semester ends to know for sure (fingers crossed)
So doing a bit more "pitching in" to assist where can,
and I get to attend a Faculty Meeting of sorts , mix of "thank you" and "checking out" by others that do not know me that well.

Hopefully the new "miss" in my truck will not get worse until I see some free time. I just did a complet tune-up not long ago.

Yesterday I did a orientation for 8 teenage "boot camp" ladies.
Today I meet with some returning soldiers from the sandbox for a similar orientation.

Time Crunch Shuffle

Steve

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 07:12:14 AM »
Nice thread to start, Blackburn.

Mostly small potatoes by comparison, for me.

Trying to make sure I have everything sent in and ready for pharmacy school this fall.
Final exams next week.
Making sure I have enough work lined up for the summer.
Cleaning my apartment from head to toe, mostly finished with that now.
Need to work up some sort of smooth outdoor lighting for my apt. mini-deck.

Right now, mainly, I'm working up the guts to call a girl whose number I got. Her name is Blaire, and she's a six-foot, blonde elementary school teacher. And a sweetheart, on top of it all. Wow.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 07:20:39 AM »
Just turn on thet ole Kaintucky charm, Spooky.  Wink
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 07:53:13 AM »
Not sure what grade this teacher teaches, but if a first grader, or second grader, do a quick search for Dora the Explorer...
This seems to be the "in" deal with some kids, and knowing about this cartoon educational tool might come in handy.

Err, I did research on this thanks to Larry and his daughter Susan.(2nd grade teacher btw). I just turned 51, but only 50 at the time when I had my first  date with Sadie - an  almost 2 year old in Tulsa.  Larry's Granddaughter Sadie.  Cheesy

http://nickjr.co.uk/shows/dora/index.aspx

Susan I talked Dora, Sadie andI  talked shotguns, .22 rifles, and grapes.

Had all the bases covered on topics.  Smiley

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 08:35:48 AM »
Hehe, I'll have to look up some Dora info, thanks for the link. She teaches fifth grade, so I've no idea whether or not thats the right demographic.

I'll have to fall back on that Kintuky charm grampster, my well of masculine wiles is more of a puddle, me thinks!

It's kind of an arward initiation. She's the niece of a pharmacist I work for, and the pharm. says she's really very shy, though I couldn't tell. Almost as soon as we met, though, the pharm. said " So, sorry this is so akward [Internal dialogue: Well, now it is...]. Blaire, do you want to go ahead and give him your number? [Internal dialogue: Ahh! There goes that organic beginning I'd hoped for!]"
I'm crap at this beginning stuff, but I love everything that comes after.

I've decided dinner is a bad first date, since it's an hour of forced conversation and potential bad silences. Now I'm thinking coffee and desert at a little shop near here...

[Endless rambling/Off]
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Shalako

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 08:55:50 AM »
Hmmm, lets see...
Im in escrow for my first home purchase.
My wife wants to make a baby this year
I just got confirmed at Easter  
Im the acting boss at work and training a brand new employee
My projects are going to construction this summer and we still dont have certified real estate rights, environmental documentation, or completed designs
I learned yesterday that my land agent for the project just resigned
The feds have no money so I need to expedite a contract to advance them their share of the roughly $10M we need this summer
Five new sites were just added to one contract and we have a month to complete plans and specs
I get to move in about three weeks
This weekend is the trout opener and I'm all set to go
I had some really good fajitas last night

mmmm, fajitas
/homer voice

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »
Getting the yard up and running for the season again. Takes a powerful lot of irrigating to keep stuff green and happy out here in the desert. And while I'm in that mode, I'm farming myself out doing "yardwork for yuppies"; folks too busy or self-important to rake their own leaves and such. Not glamorous, but it keeps me in shape for the upcoming field season (contract archaeology).

Hey Grampster! You gonna be able to handle all of that work, or you need some help?
Made me tired just reading your plans!

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 10:35:32 AM »
Getting ready for finals in 2 wks, finding a third job so I can rake up enough money to move out of my parent's home, and trying to find time to hunt/shoot. And worrying about what I might be forgetting.

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
Work assigmnents aren't too hard, once I leave for the day I'm done (generally).  However, I was given an assignment to design a new assignment sheet for each shift, but I'm just about done.

All my big jobs are personal:
-figure out how to break up with the woman I've been dating for a few months without hurting her feelings too badly (probably not really possible so I'm really just stalling I guess)
-clean bedroom (it is truly a disaster zone, this is a multi-day job)
-screen schools and decide between a masters in social work or counseling (probably social work if I go this way) or nursing school (since I've determined I'm not going to get the MA in counseling and then a doctorate in psych I'm re-evaluating counseling v. social work, and adding nursing school as an option)
-sign up for summer classes (pre-nursing coursework that will still help me by giving me recent achademic references should I pick social work instead of nursing school)

Needs done today:
-3 loads of laundry- somehow I ran out of undershirts, shirts and clean pants at the same time
-do some gunshopping (deciding between a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .41mag or .45lc, a Taurus Tracker in same calibers, a Taurus 415, a Taurus Gaucho in .45lc, a Kahr PM9, K9 or K40, a Ruger P95, a Taurus PT911/PT940, or a Taurus PT111 Milennium Pro).
-clean bathroom
-run assignment sheets to work despite it being my day off (this time of day work is min. 1hr ea way, if I wait till after rush hour, 30-45min)
-update resume
-start applying for new jobs in human services (preferably another mental health position, preferably a promotion in same hospital but a different unit, and if not in mental health then an education related position)
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 12:36:11 PM »
Making trophies this week for:  Pool league, bowling league, college tennis awards banquet, car show.

Clean the house for birthday party for three grandkids this Saturday.
Till garden (I already have onions in).
Mow the grass.
Haul a trailer load of horse manure from Smoke Rizen's house to my son's (20 miles).  I took the trailer out there on Sunday, Bud was working, and his tractor was broken, so I just left the trailer and HE loaded it for me.  Nice Guy.
Finish putting up a swing set for the grandkids (It's almost done).
Load some 28 ga and 45 ACP and 25-06 ammo.
Wash this dang BLACK truck. Smiley

Longer term:
I've GOT to get a mini excavator rented and put some 6" french drain where my new garage is going to be, and across the driveway.  Then get the foundation poured and start laying blocks (until I run out of money).
Try to get this building leased out or sold so I can semi-retire.  Business in this town has been lousy so that is just going to have to wait.
Get a battery and a voltage regulator for one of my John Deeres, and get it running.
Sandy's flower garden needs a complete rebuild.
The back porch needs removed, because it is sinking and the insurance company wants it fixed (I did start on that already).

I'm sure I'll think of more.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 12:48:29 PM »
mainly "what's on my plate" is trying to make enough money to pay the bills
-finish up some foreclosures and other old files
-clean my office
-get bass boat running - replace battery charger, fix bilge, replace fuel lines, clean thoroughly - catch fish
-work
-play my annual few rounds of golf
-get firm newsletter out - try to increase summer business
-ride my bike
-clean my office
-shoot some stuff
-clean out storage unit - sell some things
-work
-decide whether to get old CZ75 refinished or not
-get car A/C fixed
-make some speaker cabinets
-build another guitar
-go pig hunting

Basically everything that is not work related is low priority and is probably more like "on the table", but not actually on my plate yet.  Playing some golf, riding my bike, and doing a little shooting are likely in the near future.
For entertainment purposes only.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 01:03:02 PM »
In January I was transferred out of my home National Guard unit to a new unit due to deploy to Iraq in September.  I want to go, but I'm very concerned about an injury I sustained three weeks before graduation in basic last August.  I pulled a muscle or tendon in my thigh (some think it's my hip flexor, others have blamed the quadricep), an injury that has been getting steadily worse and is easily aggravated.

I first reported the injury ten weeks ago, and I have yet to hear anything from the Guard about getting evaluated.  My chain of command has assured me that I will be evaluated before we deploy, but right now I can't pass the physical fitness test so the issue is front and center at least as far as my squad leader and platoon sergeant are concerned.

I may end up riding a desk over there, or assigned to the rear detachment in Concord, or even transferred back to my home unit.  Maybe with physical therapy I will be healed completely, but until that happens I can't do my job of Infantryman and that is deeply frustrating to me.

The good news (if there is any) is that since the injury occured during basic, the American taxpayers will pay for all medical costs associated with it (thank you, btw).

Beyond that, I'm still waiting for my editor to finish working on my second novel, which I hope to publish by August.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!