Author Topic: APS "What's on your plate?" listing thread.  (Read 3100 times)

grampster

• friend
APS "What's on your plate?" listing thread.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 01:18:36 PM »
Hey Gary,

I've been taking applications for handmaiden, so I think yer outa the running.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 03:45:28 PM »
Quote from: grampster
Hey Gary,

I've been taking applications for handmaiden, so I think yer outa the running.  Tongue
Dang! And you haven't even seen my legs!

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 04:06:09 PM »
Gack, what isn't?

Work - Still the new chick so up to my elbows in learning stuff.

Gun stuff - Kids day fast approaching, lots of legislative stuff going on so everyone can wave their bills around come election time, doing a class in July for a bunch of people, *#@& PAC Surveys. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

House - I'm not doing anything. It's falling apart and there is a layer of dust on every flat surface. I clean the kitchen and bathroom once a week, bully the kid into vacuuming. Fortunately, with just two of us here, it's not that big a deal.

Kid - Various activities. With the grades he got at conferences today, I don't have to worry about him being able to drive himself anywhere any time soon. Why a child would do work and then not hand it in is beyond me. Anyway, so chasing him sometimes.

Extra - Tae Kwon Do and the occasional quilt class.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »
Oodles.

I'm officially relieved of duty 30 April, transferred to retired status 1 May, pretty Meritorious Service Medal, another Aerial Achievement Medal, and all that crap.  Can be recalled to active duty any time after that.  (I noticed that in my DD Form 214 paperwork...)

Boxing up stuff to put into storage.  Selling heavy stuff to stay below the household goods weight limit. setting other stuff aside that I won't allow the G@*-damned government movers to touch, let alone move.  Things have a bad habit of disappearing during moves.

Traveling to Wisconsin to look at two houses we're interested in buying, and a couple job offers I've had.  One's with a well-known cut rifling barrel maker, one's with the Dane County Sheriff's Department.  The sheriff's job puts me really close to that nice 1,000 yard rifle range at Lodi.

Another job offer that's very tempting is as a GS-12 with the BATF, forensics lab supervisor.  Still chewing on that one.

Youngest son, age 24, wants very much to go to Madison Area Technical College, so that is probably which way this whole thing will steer.  Wisconsin VA told me his tuition in college of choice would be free until age 26, and my wife's tuition would be free for as long as she wanted.   My graduate school would only be covered at the 50% rate, which is still pretty nice.  Once VA does my hearing loss and degenerative arthritis testing, my disability rating may get bumped up somewhat more, meaning portions of my Air Force pension will be tax-free.

Funny thing is, I've been an assistant manager at a beachside lawnmower repair shop while I've been on terminal leave, for a few extra bucks.  It's been rather fun, and I'd really like to use my employee discount on either a Walker or Wright Stander commercial mower before I leave Florida.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »
Congrats on your retirement and thanks for all the years of service, Gewehr.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 03:07:38 AM »
Barbara, thanks.  Tell your son, if he's career-minded that 20 years will fly by so fast he'll have to pay attention.  I know for me it did.  Wink

grampster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 03:43:08 AM »
Gew,

Ditto what Barbara said.

If you move to 'Sconsin, you won't need that mower.  There is snow on the ground most of the year. heh.  You could, cough, ahem, drop ship it to me in Michigan.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 06:43:32 AM »
I haven't read through the thread but I did catch the part about Gewehr and Barbras son and retiring May first and I thought Gewher should come visit and help me celebrate my upcoming birthday as his first official retirement duty. As far as 20 years. Yup, one day I looked up and I was 38 and I thought, ge 20 years wouldn't have been long at all. Why you're still pretty much a pup at 38. The saddest part of MY story is the part where E-7 / 0-6 and above started looking like kids to me. Sad

Anyways, What I did today was watch this bunch of guys pour 40 yds of concrete over the 2700 feet of plastic floor heating tube I just spent two weeks laying out and lock wiring down in this guy's new basement. It was beautiful,,,sniff sniff...

Hey, what a coincidence, the lock wire and tool were adapted from the aviation industry.

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 10:08:48 AM »
-End of semester crush.  Grade the huge paper pile, write 2 finals, pull together all the random sheets with numbers and determine final grades
-find and iron the academic regalia for graduation
-find a good novel to read during graduation
-shop for and order some equipment for my lab before the fiscal year ends and I loose the money
-set up the lab for summer research students
-figure out which projects the students and I are working on this summer
-look over 10 general chem textbooks and pick my favorite 3 to send to committee for consideration
-wash car and motorcycle
-mow grass
-get out to the range and start getting serious about shooting some 2700s this summer
-maybe start running??

Ok, I now feel totally overwhelmed.  I'm going to crawl under my desk and hide now.
Experiment with a chemist!

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 10:45:28 AM »
Conservatorship for my Mom and Moms estate (she suffered a devastating stroke late last year).  Figuring out and dealing with the financial world of someone else.  Dealing with my problematic siblings.  

FINANCIAL PLANNING is a good thing!  LIVING WILLS are good things!  WILLS and/or TRUSTS are good things!

Oh, did I mention that financial planning, living wills and wills and/or trusts are good things?  

Word to the wise&
To the stars!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 11:17:42 AM »
Typhoon, as a lawyer who deals with that kind of stuff on a daily basis I agree 100%.  People will spend thousands on insurance they never use, but will forego preparation for disability or death (which is guaranteed, as far as I can tell).  Of course, when something finally happens, the lawyers get to do a lot more work, the family has to spend a lot more money, and all existing family conflicts are magnified.  I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your situation.
For entertainment purposes only.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
Grampster, you must be mistaken.  I was just at my parents' acreage in Wisconsin last summer, and I'll be darned if that wasn't about 5 acres of lawn I had to mow. (real grass, not that St. Augustine weed stuff we have here in Florida) Here's a pic the morning after we experienced a typical Wisconsin July evening thunderstorm/microburst, and a favorite flowering crab apple tree fell victim. I had just finished cleaning the trunk up with a chainsaw, and sent the 5'2" Mrs. G-98 over to show the scale of the destruction.  After the photo, I cut the trunk flush with the ground. Sad

bratch

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »
School:
2 labs
4 Assignments
1 Presentation
4 Finals
By Thursday

Personal:
Finishing Packing
Clean
Mow
Close on two houses May 12
Move
Work on Cutlass
Dogs to vet
Pickup "new" 1911

House:
Estimates for Escrow repairs
Tile baths
Wood in Master
Paint
Lighting
Security
Yard Work
Decorate
Shop

Work
Start the 30th of May

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 04:44:20 PM »
Grampster, I'm very jealous.

On my plate:
Continue the process of settling in to my new job.
Decide how to deal with the 3 1/2 hour daily commute: find a apt during the week, continue the commute, or just disrupt the lives of the family and move to the new town?

Help my wife deal with the diagnosis of needing surgery on her back to fix the damage she's done trying to perform tasks as if she were a stout ranch hand.

Figure out the best place to get the A/C fixed on my 91 Volvo 240 in a town like this
ditto the electrical short in the dash.

Try and get serious about losing some weight so I don't wind up a full-blown diabetic.
Try and get serious about losing some weight so I can come off of so much blood pressure meds.
Try and get serious about reducing my dependency on prescription medicines.