Author Topic: G n' R fans, folks with an ear for music, especially guitarists...??  (Read 1266 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Also Chicago listeners.

Amazing how you can discover whole new worlds when your a technophobe and finally try a new technology - in my case it was my mp3 player, a good pair of headphones, and some prescription medication:)

"Out ta get me" from appetite for destruction, exactly how many guitar tracks are playing simultaneously? It sounds like I'm hearing at least 3, plus a bass. If I'm hearing it right how did they do that live?

Chicago fans

'Hard to say I'm sorry', that deep bass I hear in the background (that I never heard before), is that an obo?

Edit, I looked up Oboes and I don't think that's it. Now I think I'm hearing two different instruments, one comes in right at the beginning and sounds like a very deep bass, the other which I want to identify comes in at exactly 18 seconds and sounds like brass. French horn?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
G n' R fans, folks with an ear for music, especially guitarists...??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
Well, I'm not familiar with the G&R tune but as far as the Chicago if it's the tune and part I'm thinking of I'd venture it's either a distorted bass or bass pedals /synth maybe. I'd actually have to hear it again to make a better guess though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:48:23 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Chicago fans

'Hard to say I'm sorry', that deep bass I hear in the background (that I never heard before), is that an obo?

Edit, I looked up Oboes and I don't think that's it. Now I think I'm hearing two different instruments, one comes in right at the beginning and sounds like a very deep bass, the other which I want to identify comes in at exactly 18 seconds and sounds like brass. French horn?
If you're refering to the bass underneath the piano solo at the beginning, that's a bowed double bass. 18 seconds into the song you hear that same bowed double bass (or it might be a cello sound; I'm not to familar with the repective registers of those two instruments.). It's definitely two low stringed instruments in both instances. I'll bet that it's actually a synthesized double bass, but it's a double bass sound. After the intro bass, I think 280's got it for the rest of the bass in the piece.
Andy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 06:29:48 AM »
Yea, I'd have to hear it. I'm not even sure I got the right song in my head.

My favorite low note is in ( believe it or not) Avril Levigne's (sp?) tune that starts

"Chill out what you (something Cheesy ) for,
It's all been done before." etc.

I can't remember the title. But in the chorus there's this real low note that sounds like it's below the register of the standard electric bass. I haven't checked it against anything to see exactly what note it is though. Either it's tuned down or it's got an extra low string. I'm guessing it's a D.

Anyhoo, I ramble...

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 06:35:14 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Yea, I'd have to hear it. I'm not even sure I got the right song in my head.

My favorite low note is in ( believe it or not) Avril Levigne's (sp?) tune that starts

"Chill out what you (something Cheesy ) for,
It's all been done before." etc.

I can't remember the title. But in the chorus there's this real low note that sounds like it's below the register of the standard electric bass. I haven't checked it against anything to see exactly what note it is though. Either it's tuned down or it's got an extra low string. I'm guessing it's a D.

Anyhoo, I ramble...
5 and 6 string basses are relatively common now, as is down-tuning up to 2 whole steps...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 06:57:07 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys! Stringed instruments, cello had seemed to be something I was thinking of but?? You can tell I'm not  a musician Smiley

Anyway, it's bedtime for me again, and the trazadone (for a temporary sleep disorder) is kicking in again, and I'm listening again to 'out ta get me'.

Starts out on cymbals at 1 second. Tch, tch, tch, at exactly 3 seconds electric guitar kicks in. Important distinction here, on a full stereo only sounds like one electric guitar that starts out at  3 seconds, on good headphones, one side starts out with electric  guitar at 0 seconds, cymbals at 1 second, and the other side electric guitar kicks in at 3 seconds. I'm listening to the very same song on different sound systems, are the first two electric guitars the very same track just fed into different audio feeds at different times? Or is slash able to play a guitar with two different sets of strings simultaneously?

13.5 seconds in bass kicks in, at exactly 14 seconds a distinctly separate electric guitar kicks in. So at least two electric guitars and a bassist.

Is that an extra guitarist of GnR that I'm forgetting, or are they laying down studio tracks that didn't get played in concert?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 07:03:24 AM »
Yup, you see them a lot. What you DON'T see is those extra strings actually being played much. There is this one guy I know though, 7 or 8 string bass, can't remember, he DOES manage to play them all.

I went to a concert once where this woman specialized in this ancient 8 string classical type guitar. She only played ONE note on the lowest string throughout an hours worth of performance.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 07:12:49 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys! Stringed instruments, cello had seemed to be something I was thinking of but?? You can tell I'm not  a musician Smiley
Hours of listening to and studying classical music has paid off. Cheesy
Andy

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:41:05 AM »
Quote from: cosine
Hours of listening to and studying classical music has paid off. Cheesy
Actually, if you read popular literature these days, regardless of accolades on a message board, it should have improved your math and critical thinkinking skills Smiley)

Seriously, classical music does have a mathematical formula doesn't it?

Ironically, the reason I had "oboe" in my mind at the start of the thread was because of an album I listened to as a small child that featured classical music, and  something about small ducks being threatened by some scary something or other, that was portrayed by a deep, bass, brass sound, that I had thoughtwas described as an oboe on the album jacket.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 07:51:52 AM »
Is that an extra guitarist of GnR that I'm forgetting, or are they laying down studio tracks that didn't get played in concert?
Aside from Slash and Izzy, I don't remember anyone else.  It's extremely common for bands to lay down extra guitar tracks in the studio that don't get played live.
For entertainment purposes only.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 08:07:54 AM »
Ahh, I found it. My father is an avowed commie hater of the first order, but he knows good music when he hears it and knows the godless russkies have a leg up on us on good classical music.  I probably listened to this thousands  of times between 2 and 7. Understand that at the beginning of the album, a grandfatherly man introduces each of the instruments, and tells who they represent. I think I may have actually sat through a couple of lectures by my dad about how the poor people in Russia had nothing to bring joy into their lives except for music and vodka, and so they honed a much keener appreciation for each than us warm climate saps:)

http://www.classicalnotes.co.uk/home.html

Prokofiev Peter and the Wolf

Peter and the Wolf, Op.67

As well as writing some of the greatest 20th Century ballets (notably "Romeo and Juliet" and "Cinderella", Prokofiev was one of the most powerful symphonic statesmen of our time, composing seven superb symphonies. His music encompasses glorious melody, rich, pungent harmony, driving rhythm and sometimes savage dissonance; 50 years after the composers death it continues to speak directly to the hearts of audiences worldwide.

Nowhere in his works does Prokofiev speak to us so freely and happily as in Peter and the Wolf, Op.67. Prokofiev subscribed to the Soviet philosophy that music should belong to everyone in society, and, like his contemporaries Kabalevsky and Shostakovich, wrote music specifically for children and young people. Indeed, Prokofievs Seventh Symphony was originally written for an audience of children, but easily his most popular and successful work in this genre is the "Symphonic Tale" Peter and the Wolf, first performed in 1936. The story of Peter is wonderfully easy to follow and needs little explanation  remember to listen out for Peter (the strings), his friends the Bird (flute), the Duck (oboe), the Cat (clarinet), the Hunters (drums), Peters Grandfather (bassoon) and of course the Wolf (horns). Are you sitting comfortably? Then well begin&
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
I musta heard Peter and the Wolf about a jillion times when I was a wee pup. Now that's a blast from the past!

Cheesy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 08:37:23 AM »
Ah, yes, Peter and the Wolf. Never really was fond of that piece, but gained a greater appreciation for it after I played it several times with a band. You'd be hard pressed to make an oboe sound low and menacing. Cheesy
Andy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:54:36 AM »
LOL...

I'd be hard pressed to make an oboe sound like ANYTHING!

Cheesy